• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Poll... V6 or V8? Mustang

V6 or V8?

• Total voters

CMontoya79

Newb Le professional!
V6 or V8? Opinions. The time has come. Upgrading from 1997 Honda civic sedan. I am the original owner. It's long overdue. Some may say why not a Camaro? I've done my research and am 100% decided on a 2012 Ford Mustang. I have a dealer who is going to, in his words offer me "stupid pricing" on any choice 2012 Mustang. V6 v8 GT. convertible, he said what do you want? I will get it for you. Below 22k and at this point he promised even lower "stupid low" pricing. Oh and Shelby and Boss are not options. Sadly I never learned standard. Sooooo. V6 or V8???

Thanks for your feedback.

C

Thanks to advancements in technology, the V6 is putting out ridiculous performance numbers. Back in the day, you went with the 6 (or even the dreaded 4 banger) for economy and sensibility. The 8 was for the performance minded set. Not anymore. The V6 is now a viable option if you want to get up and go. It's lighter than the 8, which should improve handling. Also, the V6 should cause your insurance agent to breath easier. You really can't go wrong with it.

The choice is clear cut - get the V8! Sorry. Love that V8 rumble.

I have a 2011 V6 Camaro and love it. PLENTY of power and fuel economy all wrapped in one. I dont think you go wrong either way.

If this is a second car or a toy, V8. If this is your daily driver think about what it will cost you to drive it every day compared to that 35 mpg honda. Depending on your age, the insurance cost might just catch you off guard.

I would get the V8.....

Kind of like Vicster said, but with a twist. Our neighbors son who we have know from age 0 to now 24 is a certified ASTM mechanic for Ford. He bought the V6 and tricked it out with special pipes for smoother air flow off the cylinders, cross braces for the front end etc. it screams like an eagle. In the end, it comes down to money (insurance and operating cost). Your call based on funds available. Either way, I wish I was young enough to even think about something so cool. Happy hunting.

Like I read in Hot Rod Magazine once, "There's no substitute for displacement."

Doc

I thought V6 Mustangs were only sold to rental car agencies? ;) :whistling:

That and women.

I'd spring for the V8. Odds are you will regret spending a little more now less than you'll regret choosing the V6 down the road.

Get a V8. Don't bother with a V6, that's more of a commuter car. If you want a real Mustang, I recommend V8 all the way. Plus, the gas mileage today on a V8 is amazingly good.

I have an '03 GT Premium edition, original owner. Best car I've ever owned. It still drives like it did the day I bought it. Then again, I don't race it (except for the occasional street race) nor have I modified it.

mustang.jpg

mustangsig.jpg

I've always had the thought process if you're going to buy a sports car, pay the ridiculous insurance, you might as well go all out and go with the V8.

I've always liked Mustangs, even though I'm a Chevy fan. Didn't care for the Mustang 5.0s in the 80s and 90s, started to get into the 2000 versions and then they got hideous in 2005. But I must say, seeing the 2011 Mustang pace car at the Las Vegas Kobalt 400, I was impressed.

So if I were to buy a Mustang, it would be a 60s, a 2004 or a 2011/2012, but I know they would all a V8.

Don't forget about the Shelby model :D

I had an '05 V6 vert, not the fastest but I could still chirp the tires shifting into 3rd. It was a manual though.

But, there is still no substitute for the rumble of a finely tuned V8.

ETA - you could always look into picking up a 2003 Cobra. Crazy fast, and would be pretty affordable right now.

Sensibility says V6, but if you are paying for a brand new car, you need to get something that when you look at it in the driveway in four years and still making payments on it, you think... "Damn, I love that car". That's the most honest thing a car salesman has ever said to me. I bought my big, dumb truck (2005 Dodge Ram 4x4) new in '05, and every day I love that truck more. It's big, stupid, expensive and utterly impractical (especially over here in Germany)... but I fookin love it.

my "friend" has a conv V6 from 08 and i know the 12' V6 kicks the 08' V6's a_$ but for me the car doesnt have enough power, for her its fine because it was her first voyage into rear wheel drive.

http://m.ford.com/modelsdetails?input=%5Bcid=car%7Cmid=Mustang%7Cyear=2012%7Cname=Boss%20302%5D&mWebId=-3fbee7d5%3A1359ce80578%3A-51cb

Boss!

-Rob

2012 model and newer...White V6 Convertible....that way somebody's daughter can buy it when you're done!

;)

If your going to have a new car note, shell out a few more bucks and get the V-8, will be worth it when it is paid off.

I do agree. If you have the coin get the 8. I went with the 6 because it is my daily driver and I couldn't justify $7000 more for 2 cylinders. At 312hp for a 6 I am happy.

I didn't feel the need to compensate for anything, so I picked up the v6 convertible. I also couldn't justify the extra $$$ for a car I wasn't about to race and I didn't want to pay the extra insurance on it. Biggest reason for the v6 is that when my oldest daughter starts driving in two years, I didn't want all that power at her disposal. Love the car, fun to drive, and perfect for Arizona winter weather.

Oh yeah, if I was single with no kids...I'd get the v8.