• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Private Stock Robusto

rbbrock

I smoked a Private Stock #11 (I think - it was a robusto or Rothschild) natural the other day - I did a buy here and the seller had it on his wish list so I sent him one and bought one to try myself. If it was a #11 it should be 4 5/8" x 50.

From what I can find it looks like Private Stock cigars are made by the same company that makes Davidoff, Avo, and The Griffins, but with tobacco that didn't make the cut for those cigars. Maybe I'm wrong there; there seem to be a few different stories about this cigar.

Well, whatever it's made from, the appearance and construction of the one cigar were just fine. I won't say perfect, because I didn't inspect it really closely, but the draw was great, the wrapper looked fine, and I never had a single problem with it, so there was certainly nothing to complain about.

Cut just fine, and the draw was just like the Avos I've tried - a little loose-ish but not too bad, and the cigar produced a ton of smoke, so it wasn't like huffing on a straw or anything, even though there was almost no resistance. The aroma was mild, but still a nice generic tobacco smell. The flavor was pretty much the same - inoffensive, certainly not bad, but very mild and generic. I suppose grassy might be apt, but I can't really come up with any descriptors here. Just mild.

The cigar performed absolutely fine, with no burn or construction issues at all. It even survived a drop onto the concrete from about three feet when I was halfway through it. The wrapper split for about 3/4" or so, but it didn't unravel or have any draw problems at all. However, at $2.00 each from CI it's not worth it IMO. If I liked the taste, it would be a great bargain, but it was just too plain for me. There's not really anything here to make me want this cigar. It's like smoking a cigar solely for the sake of smoking a cigar, not to get any enjoyment or flavor out of it. If in the mood for a cheaper cigar, I'd much rather spend an extra buck and smoke a Padron 2k, LGC Wavell, Gran Habano #5, or some other inexpensive but flavorful cigar, and actually get some taste out of it.

Well, it was worth a shot anyway.

Thanks for the review. I've never had one of these myself but now I know I can safely stick to the P2K and GH5. Great bargain sticks.

When I'm in the mood to smoke just for smoking's sake, I reach for stuff like Backwoods.

Wilkey