• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question for the Techie types

JetDr

D.I.L.F.
I hope this question doesn't overly expose my ignorance to the Computer World!

As a result of the recent wind storm, our area lost power for an extended period of time. When I tried to turn my desktop on following the return of power, I had fatal errors on my hard drive. After a day of trouble shooting, I finally resolved myself to saying, "Fug it." and bought a new machine. The new computer will arrive soon, and with it comes an integrated HD Tuner.

On to my question. I currently have Dish Network as my TV source, and am curious how the two items, the Satelite TV, and HD Tuner, coexist. If I don't have a seperate receiver leased from Dish, can I run the coax from my wall to the computer and use the HD Tuner? If I indeed need the Dish Receiver, will I have redundant tuning, where as, I will need to tune through the receiver rather than the integrated tuner?

I hope my question is clear enough, and I have included enough information.

Thanks in advance for the help.

On the back of your dish reciever there should be a tv2 out. You have to run a cable from there into you HD tuner. It should work i believe.

The receiver is probably specific.

The receiver may unscramble the signal.

I hate to threadjack myself, but Gary, your avatar is intoxicating.

The HD tuner is for OTA signals, you'll need an antenna for it unless......
You have component inputs on the video card and an unscrambled component output from your dish receiver.
The only other possible hookup would be HDMI and I don't know of any video cards that take HDMI. I'm saying that they aren't out there, I just don't know about them.

A regular TV out coax connection from the Dish receiver will just be a standard 480i signal I'm fairly certain.