• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recently Engaged

BigJake6904

Fat Texan
I need some help from the fellow "married" men here at CP. I'm recently Engaged to the love of my life and also my high school sweetheart. We've been together for quite some time, and she "accepts" that I love cigars...but she's not to fond of it. Now, I seek the guidance of those oh so experienced husbands.

I know many of you have run into issues of "smoking in the house" or "Where the humidors can and cannot go." I'd like some input so that if I make a suggestion, the little lady might be more accepting or accommodating, and hell, maybe even allow me more privileges :)

Basically, share your infinite knowledge of what pisses off your wives, and what i can do to avoid the heat. We all know pissing off the Mrs. is something you just don't do. :sign:

Drink more!

----------------

I choose to not smoke in the house. I have a 3 season porh and a garage set up with chairs, heater and TV!

Propose a man room as a spot that you can keep your humidors and smoke in so she doesn't have to see it/be around it. One of the smartest things I ever did. :D

Propose a man room as a spot that you can keep your humidors and smoke in so she doesn't have to see it/be around it. One of the smartest things I ever did. :D
This wise man speaks the truth..... :cool: My "den" where I have my cabinet, floor standing safe and my desk are "my" area. Oh, I get the bench in the garage, too.... :laugh: But, the truth is our home is beautiful and my wife is to thank there. All the cool home network stuff and trick PC's and other tech junk is my contribution.... :laugh:

On the subject of inside smoking, you may not win that one. My wife smokes about four or five cigarettes a day, and we both smoke outside on the deck(s). Now, to be fair, our decks are really nice and the lower one has a heater so it's not bad at all.

Let me just sum it up - it's all about cooperation and communication. If you guys can't talk and do a little give and take now and then, you have bigger issues than can be addressed via a cigar board.

Good luck, my friend - B.B.S.

Tell her you have been putting a penny in a jar each time you have had sex with her since you met and you will take a penny out the that jar each time you have sex after you are married. Explain to her that if the pennies go out at a similar rate to which they went in, you will not smoke in the house. It's a win-win situation ............................for you anyway.

Maybe I'll convert the garage into the Men's Lounge. Poker, Cigars...I like it. Since technically the garage isn't a part of the house...maybe I can convince her smoking is alright. Then again, I need a house first...

This is why i came to you fellow smokers, the input is great, keep it coming!

Edit: CigarStone, that's awesome...lol Definatley made my day.

My wife? Riiiight....

...here's the misses that tells me I can't smoke in the house. :D

Jan122008_0197.jpg

Shes a cutie antz!

Congrats on the engagement BigJake! Hope she doesn't mind cigar smoke... :whistling:

mac

Every cigar smoker needs his space, the garage is definitely acceptable. :cool: :thumbs:

Congrats on the Engagement. Everyone has given you sound advice so far, it is all about tolerance and compromise.

First off, Congrats Bigjake!

I am one who does not smoke in the house and has no desire to. For me a cigar is something to be enjoyed without interruptions and distractions, so I slip out to my shop to smoke. A nice quiet place where the wife and kids will leave you alone to enjoy a smoke is a beautiful thing. I have a great wife, a 2 1/2 yo girl, and an 8 mo son, so a nice quiet place and a good smoke are like therapy from time to time.

My set up is perfect. I have a typical Florida cookie cutter style home with 2 car garage attached and door leading to the kitchen. The garage is my woodworking, knifemaking, gunsmithing shop and is completely insulated and set up as a dedicated shop. I have a window fan that blows out smoke and dust and draws cool air in its place from the kitchen, I can leave the door open to the kitchen and smoke with the fan on and no smoke makes it to the house.
I also enjoy a smoke on the patio if it is not hot and sticky.

My advice is to lay the groundwork now for the man room, shop, or whatever smoking allowed refuge you want before you start the whole moving, house hunting process. That way she is on board, which she will be since you do not want to stink up the house. Also make it a consideration while looking at places if you will be moving.

Good luck.

Mike

Congrats! I think the guys have hit the nail on the head here. First and foremost is communication. Compromise on the where's and how's and you'll have it made. I don't have a good private room in the house so I smoke outside or in the garage. I wouldn't like to smoke inside unless I had a room specifically for that. But that is just me. My wife isn't that fond of it either, but I think she realizes that it is a small price to pay in the big scheme of things. I've tried to get her to join me, but so far its not happenin'!

Steve

Congrats! I think the guys have hit the nail on the head here. First and foremost is communication. Compromise on the where's and how's and you'll have it made. I don't have a good private room in the house so I smoke outside or in the garage. I wouldn't like to smoke inside unless I had a room specifically for that. But that is just me. My wife isn't that fond of it either, but I think she realizes that it is a small price to pay in the big scheme of things. I've tried to get her to join me, but so far its not happenin'!

Steve

I'm Slowly Breaking her in with Java's and Havanna Honey's :thumbs:

Congratulations on the engagement mate. All the best for your future.

I smoke on our Balcony and keep most of my cigars in our spare bedroom. My best cigars I keep in our bedroom.
My wife hates the smell of cigars and smoke, but smells each and every new brand I get just to be part of my hobby I guess.

Congratulations go for a short engagement, after a month or two being engaged gets old and you just want to get married.
I'm not allowed to smoke in the house. Though I am lobbying to get a man room but that is a house or two into the future, so I'm trying to do some grass roots lobbying right now. As for the humidor, I keep them in a cooler, but that aside, I can put them where ever I damn well please. However, its currently in the bed room and out of public eye just cuz of temperature. As for the smoky clothes, I hang them up in the bathroom to air out before tossing them in the hamper. As for Cigar breath, well I'm still trying to figure that one out. I floss and brush my teeth but I think I need to try chewing gum or something. As for the little lady's issues with your stuff, tell her that you want a man room or you are going to smoke all through out the house, the she has burrito breath when you eat Mexican and that if she let you get a decent furniture piece humidor she would never know its in the room, and she smells. That takes the heat off of you and puts it on her.

Disclaimer, my chic is good at taking shit but she is also good at dishing it back.

Congrats!

The garage sucks, especially when it's winter.

Congrats! Where and when you smoke cigars, will be the least of your problems over the next few montsh. Get ready for...'when are you getting married....when are you getting married...when are you getting married'. Oh, then there's the lovely wedding planning which feels like it will last an eternity. LOL

I smoke mostly outside, we have a basement and have not figured out how to avoid venting it through the house when the heat comes on. Brushing the teeth alot and a shower before bed, will keep the wife happy.

Good luck!

Congrats on the engagment and my condolences..... :p Like everyone else before me has said, comprimise. You may loose the battle in order to win the war. My wife does not care for the cigar smoke/smell that lingers on me nor will she ever let me smoke in the house (which I prob wouldn't do anyway) but she tolorates it. I have a ahed out back which I semi converted into my habitat. Its small but its MY Space!! We are currently looking for a bigger spot so I WILL HAVE MY ROOM!!!

Good luck and watch out for the Moms during planning the wedding.... I think there's a Crazy switch that goes off in thier head when they hear the word Wedding ???