• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

Just received my Dirty Bird 1.5 Scuttle this morning.

You scaly-tailed rat bastage! I haven't received mine yet. :angry: :(

I'm sure that she just happened to have one in blue sitting around. I was prepared to wait the stated 3-4 week shipping time-line. If you want, I'll send you mine so you don't have to wait. :)

If you want, I'll send you mine so you don't have to wait. :)

Nah, I'll suck it up and wait another week or so. But thanks for the offer. I take back what I said above and everything else I deleted after that! ;)

It's here, it's huge, and it's green! I picked up my new Dirty Bird scuttle at the post office this morning. As big as this 1.5 scuttle is, it's hard to imagine the size of the 2.0 version. I'd have a Popeye left forearm after a few weeks of whipping lather in it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to giving it a try in the morning.

It's here, it's huge, and it's green! I picked up my new Dirty Bird scuttle at the post office this morning. As big as this 1.5 scuttle is, it's hard to imagine the size of the 2.0 version. I'd have a Popeye left forearm after a few weeks of whipping lather in it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to giving it a try in the morning.

Glad you got it. I've always face lathered, so I had no idea what I was doing making lather in the bowl. But I was able to get lather as thick as any cream I've ever used with Mitchel's Wool Fat Soap, and it stayed warm for as long as it took to shave my face and head. Thanks for bringing the DB to my attention, and I hope you enjoy yours. :thumbs:

Same results here. I made a bowl full of D. R. Harris Marlborough this morning and the brush was nice a warm on every pass. I even made an extra (fourth) pass just for the helluvit.

Now, for a subject change. I don't remember if we touched on it already but how many straight (or DE) users here also shave with their off hand? My throat whiskers grow in some challenging directions so for the past weeks, I've been working on my left-handed technique. It's not nearly as hard as I'd built it up to be in my head. I'm getting pretty darn comfortable with it and haven't even nicked myself once with the South paw.

Fellas, thanks for the update on your scuttles. The Dirtybird is now added to the wishlist!

Same results here. I made a bowl full of D. R. Harris Marlborough this morning and the brush was nice a warm on every pass. I even made an extra (fourth) pass just for the helluvit.

Now, for a subject change. I don't remember if we touched on it already but how many straight (or DE) users here also shave with their off hand? My throat whiskers grow in some challenging directions so for the past weeks, I've been working on my left-handed technique. It's not nearly as hard as I'd built it up to be in my head. I'm getting pretty darn comfortable with it and haven't even nicked myself once with the South paw.

I switch hands for a better angle to hit the stubborn hairs but im ambidextrous (it runs in the family my dad and sister are ambidextrous also ) so that helps. This morning shaved with Irish Moss and my 38c. But I have to admit this thread popping up makes me look at a new brush, probably a TGN knot to put in a classic handle

I just got done with some Mama Bears Lime Ice, a Derby in my FB set on "5" and a finishing splash of Musgo Real. :thumbs: I'm still getting used to the weight of a DE, but I may try using my other hand to catch the blind spot on the back of my neck and head. I'd like to get a Shavemac #177 brush at some point down the road.

I just got done with some Mama Bears Lime Ice, a Derby in my FB set on "5" and a finishing splash of Musgo Real.
thumbs-up.gif
I'm still getting used to the weight of a DE, but I may try using my other hand to catch the blind spot on the back of my neck and head. I'd like to get a Shavemac #177 brush at some point down the road.

I have a Shavemac #177. It's a paint brush. If you like a scruby brush, and a lot of people do, I don't recomend it.

Doc.

I just got done with some Mama Bears Lime Ice, a Derby in my FB set on "5" and a finishing splash of Musgo Real.
thumbs-up.gif
I'm still getting used to the weight of a DE, but I may try using my other hand to catch the blind spot on the back of my neck and head. I'd like to get a Shavemac #177 brush at some point down the road.

I have a Shavemac #177. It's a paint brush. If you like a scruby brush, and a lot of people do, I don't recomend it.

Doc.
What type badger do you have?

thumbs-up.gif

Doc.
What type badger do you have?

Silvertip, which is as far as I know the only badger the 177 is offered. It's not a bad brush, as a matter of fact, it's one of my favorites. It's just a lot of folks like a scrubby brush and if so I'd recommend a Rooney 1/1 in silvertip.

Doc.

I just picked up a Mergress the other day. Very nice razor and well worth the money! I'm looking to get some Moma bears soap and cologne soon. I'm also in the market for a new brush soon too, I think. So far, I'm eying up the Shavemac D01 at the moment.

As for off-hand use, I use my left hand sometimes to finish up on the left side of my face. It's not pretty to look at and sure as hell looks like I'm cutting myself but it ends up being pretty good. That is if I take my time.

I get a kick out of reading this from time to time and I thought you'd appreciate it. Apologies if you've already read it.

Link

I get a kick out of reading this from time to time and I thought you'd appreciate it. Apologies if you've already read it.

Link

I have to admit I just bought a Schick Hydro 5 blade.
I have only used it twice and it gives a fantastic shave.
But this is probably not the thread to be discussing it! :laugh:

-Rob

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I never got past using 3 blades and those were Schick Extreme 3's. 4 blade Gillette's costs too much, the moisture strip lasted for 1 shave and the thing didn't contort itself to the shape of my face and head. So now I use 1 blade on a razor that weighs 10 times as much as the Schick disposable, I'm scared to death as I drag it over the top of my head and it doesn't have any moisture strip at all. But I'm doing it like my father did, and if it was good enough for him...it's good enough for me. :D

Just a question for you razor guys. I was digging through the bathroom and found a couple old Gillette razors, maybe from 1950? One is kind of small and the other one you turn a knob on the bottom and the top opens up like a pair of double doors, check it out:

001.jpg

The bigger one on the left has some blue star type pattern on the top of the handle and a diamond texture grip. If anyone knows what these are it would be nice to know, thanks for any help!

edit to add: these might be womens razors, idk. LOL

One on the left is a Lady Gillette. The other is a Teck, a very mild shaving razor that was cheaply made for travel sets. There are date codes on the back of the head. There's a letter and a number that correspond to the year and quarter of manufacture.

Doc.

Awesome, thanks! I thought the fancy blue stars might mean it was for a woman. :D