• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

I don't have to shave often, once every few days and I usually use an electric. Recently I got "The Art Of Shaving" full starter kit and got some new mach 3 blades, and damn! After the shave I felt like I was back in time, walking out of a real barber shop in the 40s or something.

There is no comparison between regular shaving gel out of a can or an electric and shaving this way. I might have found another interest to help absorb some money and time. :D

The only thing I'm wondering about is the razor. I don't want to use a straight razor because I would slit my throat, but are the DE blades superior to the mach 3 or fusion style blades? I got really good results with the mach 3 but don't know if its worth investing in another razor setup if the mach 3 is close to the same.

The Mach 3 is a POS, not to mention the cost of the blades. Get yourself a Gillette adjustable DE and some Feather blades and learn how to use it. It's the pinnacle of razor technology. I use a Gillette Aristocrat from 1967. Razors don't get any better. There is a caveat however, your face will suffer at first and you'll cut yourself until you learn to use it. Nothing like a straight though. But, you'll find it's worth it in the long run.

Doc.

Just found this one also. It was in a small plastic case and breaks down, I guess its for traveling. The only thing it says on the bottom is: "k REG US PAT OFF 1 MARCAS REGS".

002-1.jpg

I don't want to use a straight razor because I would slit my throat, but are the DE blades superior to the mach 3 or fusion style blades? I got really good results with the mach 3 but don't know if its worth investing in another razor setup if the mach 3 is close to the same.

The only way you'll slit your throat is intentionally or through profound foolishness. :laugh: Seriously, with proper blade angle and pressure the chances of a serious cut are very, very small. But cut yourself during the learning process, you will. Still, I readily admit that DE razors are also a fine way to go but since I'm a straight razor enthusiast, I'll defer to the Devil Doc's excellent advice in that area.

But here's the thing with the Mach-whatever razors: they're designed to give an adequate shave without consumers having to invest much time in learning a lot of technique. That's just fine for the scrape-and-go guys. Everyone has their priorities. DE and SR razors demand more from you...time, skill, and care. In return, they'll give you more, if that's what you're looking for.

I don't have to shave often, once every few days and I usually use an electric. Recently I got "The Art Of Shaving" full starter kit and got some new mach 3 blades, and damn! After the shave I felt like I was back in time, walking out of a real barber shop in the 40s or something.

There is no comparison between regular shaving gel out of a can or an electric and shaving this way. I might have found another interest to help absorb some money and time. :D

The only thing I'm wondering about is the razor. I don't want to use a straight razor because I would slit my throat, but are the DE blades superior to the mach 3 or fusion style blades? I got really good results with the mach 3 but don't know if its worth investing in another razor setup if the mach 3 is close to the same.

Welcome to the world of quality shaving products. The AOS full starter kit was all it took to appreciate what I was missing by using the whatever can of shaving gel was on hand stuff. The stuff is crazy expensive compared to what else is out there, but in my opinion, it's some of the best that's available. I don't like their Aftershave Gel. It just doesn't do anything for me at all.

As far as the DE vs the Multi-Blade option goes...I can say that I'm caught in the middle of that debate in my own head right now. When I have the time to have everything just right, and can take my time shaving with my DE...there's really no better feeling when your done. But it does take more to use a DE because you need to pay attention to how the head of the razor and the blade feel as you make your stokes. I can hear the blade cutting when I shave my head, and that's how I'm able to tell if I have the blade angle correct or not. I truly enjoy shaving with a DE. But...there have been times when I get frustrated, and just grab the Xtreme 3 disposable out of the cabinet and finish the job started with the DE. Mainly because of the fact that my head has alot more angles and what not to be concerned about, and I find it easier to shave it with a pivoting head. But I'm taking the time to get better at using my DE all the time. It's the only way to improve my technique. But if you're just shaving your face...I see no reason not to make the full commitment to a DE or straight razor.

OH...and those Feather blades...I nicked myself again this morning using a fresh Feather. Buggers are sharp as all hell... :0

what is the difference between a DE and a DE safety razor??

"Safety razor" is just an advertising term that entered general usage. The only real differences among DE razors are 1. 3-piece vs. TTO (twist to open), 2. Open vs. closed comb (the part below the razor's edge) and 3. Adjustable vs. fixed aperture.

~Boar

yeah I was just figuring that out lol

So what is the difference with the combs and the adjustability?

This is an "open comb":

sheraton.jpg

Some people really like how they shave, but I don't own one so I can't really tell you much about that.

This is an adjustable:

fat-boy-gillette-1.jpg

The adjustment changes the gap between the blade and the comb. I shave with a '61 Gillette "Fatboy" adjustable set on '5' and it does a terrific job.

~Boar

Some say open combs require more skill because it's easier to nick yourself with one. I personally have never had any trouble shaving with one. As for adjustables, my opinion is that they are great for those who A) just starting out with DE shaving or B) require a more aggressive shave than most razors will provide. Newcomers can shave with an adjustable on 1 or 2 and pretty much not have to worry about cutting themselves. The thing is, they'll probably have to do more passes because less hair will be removed each time. I haven't found shaving with an adjustable set to 9 to benefit me at all. I'll still have to do 3 passes and a T&C to get the results I want, but it does increase the likelihood of cutting myself or subjecting myself to razor burn. With the Fat Boy I usually leave it between 5 and 7. I also use the Merkur Progress and Vision occasionally and I tend to leave them in the middle range as well.

I get a kick out of reading this from time to time and I thought you'd appreciate it. Apologies if you've already read it.

Link

Thanks for the link. That was TFF! :laugh:

What's really interesting is that the article was written a couple years before the Gillette Fusion was ever announced. Kinda prophetic.

Wow... All I did was add a pre-shave oil and my face feels so much better and smoother. Guess I need to look into my shave technique a lil further.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270573354223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am thinking of bidding on this razor... Any opinions?

Starting bid is kind of high. I wouldn't pay more that $20 for it.

Doc.

Well I am gunna wait and see if I can get it for 20.. if not on to the next one. I don't wanna spend much more then that and I am partial to the twist to open style. Other then that I don't really know what I want/need.

Have you tried posting a WTB on SMF.com or B&B.com? That model Super Speed is pretty easy to come by.

I just joined B&B earlier... I will look around a bit.

Ok so on June 6th Gillette is announcing something, I BET IT'S A 6 BLADE SHAVING RAZOR! LOL Anyone wanna bet that's it? :)

My guess it's just an updated Fusion. I can't see them bringing out a 6-blade razor just yet They can't get people to replace the cartridges in their 5-blade razors.

Gillette is coming out with a DE blade. Coming complete circle :laugh: