• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sheesh

SBellew

Been enjoying my pipe for the last week and lit up a cigar and boy-o-boy, the odor was just too strong. Seems to stay in my clothes and just hang in the air.

Dunno if it was just the Fuente or if I have gotten used to the pipe smoke, but I think I am making a permanent switch to the pipe.

I understand what you're saying. I'd been smoking a cigar or two a day for several years but once I started smoking pipes a couple of months ago, I hardly ever smoke a cigar now. The pipe tobacco is not as strong a scent in the house and doesn't linger in the room to the extent of cigar smoke. That's not to say I won't go back to cigars once the weather permits outdoor smoking but pipes and pipe tobacco definitely have an allure.

I have also been enjoying my pipes very much. I do notice that for the occasional smoker, pipe tobacco aroma doesn't hang around as long as the aroma of cigars tend to linger. Of course my only experience is in my garage, so I can't speak about furniture and the like.

Fire up a bowl of Penzance and your opinion about how strong the odor is may change, though... :D

I've though a lot about it, and the pipe will never completely take over for me as long as I can get the cigars I like at a decent price. If that changes, the economics of it take over and cigars lose that battle for me. The pleasure:cost ratio tilts in favor of the pipe at some point not far beyond the current price structure.

I agree with Alan that the pleasure/price ratio is in favor of pipes. Since I already had a decent collection of pipes there was no need to add any new ones; of course, that hasn't stopped me from adding 3 Boswells so far. But, even then, $85 or so for a new pipe is a drop in the bucket in the price of of a box of cigars. I'm used to paying $200 and up for a box of cigars, so two or three pipes for the same cost seems like a bargain. Moreover, you have the pipe forever while the box of cigars disappears in smoke and has to be replaced.

The icing on the cake is the cost of pipe tobacco. For the price (or less) of a single Opus, I can buy a great 50g/2oz. tin of tobacco which will last for 15-20 bowls. Of course, larger tins and bulk reduces the cost even further. Plus I'm having fun learning all the brands and blends and picking my favorites at what seems like modest cost.

I, too, have been mostly sticking to my pipes lately. I tend to gravitate towards pipes in the winter months. But, once summer starts to come, I am sure the cigar gods will be calling! :laugh: I also find that pipes, on a daily basis, are much more cost effective. Even with just buying aged tins, which tend to be much higher priced than fresh tins. But, Oh, are they ever better! I have a thing for the Dunhill tobaccos (and pipes).

For the price of what cigars I would smoke in a week, I can buy a pipe and a tin or 2.