• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shelly's Back Room, DC

prometheus

Read more; post less
Has anyone had the fortune ( missfortune?) to go here. My finace and I decided to stop in and have dinner/smokes after looking at the cherry trees in DC this afternoon. I had planned a great day, sightseeing, nice dinner in a great looking atmosphere. I was looking forward to it all week since we both work, and have little time to spend with each other.

Anyway, it was 16:55 this afternoon and we were basically turned away. Here's the deal. The bar was packed, as well as most of the tables in there except 3 tables that seat 4. The hostess had to "ok" it with the manager to see if she could sit us at one of those tables. Apparently it was an emphatic NO! What sort of BS is that? There must be a minimum of three.

I then asked if we could wait to see if there would be a table available later. Being quite noisy in there, and my anger starting to rise, I didn't understand what she said. So, a few choice phrases of what I thought of the establishment were made by us and immediately left.

Is this how BOTLs are to be treated? We are definitely NOT going back! I guess you have to be some pompous ass to partake of their offerings, since we were eyeballed on the way in.

Any other suggestions? I don't want to have to spend a fortune at Mortons or Ruth's Chris to have a dinner and a smoke in northern Virginia.

There was a herf there last year with no problems. You can read about it here.

Prometheus,
Try "Stonewall's" at Lansdowne resort - it's closer and usually not that crowded.

Also, "That's Amore" lets you smoke in the bar.

~Mark (I'm in Cascades)

Im sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have had several similar experiences, and found that a 22 year old college kid doesnt get a whole lot of repsect. I have gotten angry and tried to argue with them before, but that will not get you anywhere fast. I learned the best thing is to explain you situation, that you had heard about how great the place was, that you were really looking forward to, etc, and ask if there would be anyway to work something out.

By putting two people at a four person table, you have just halved their potential revenue, as well as the tip. Then, if they have to turn away a group of four, they have lost money and made four people upset instead of two. Waiters absolutely hate using a larger table for a smaller group. By explaining that you understand this, but were looking looking forward to it, will buy a couple extra drinks to make up for it etc, you have a lot better shot.

If you asked if you could wait, then didnt hear the answer and just left, then you screwed yourself. I have never been anywhere that hasnt at least tried to work something out if you just ask politely and be friendly. It is usually not a good idea to slam an establishment just because you were to mad to listen to an answer. Hope you have a better experience in the future.

Sorry that you had that experience. I have herfed there on many ocassions and love it each time. I've never not been able to get a seat there. But I have always gone there to meet a group to herf.

You mentioned that you could not understand the last thing the hostess said. She could have been giving you an explanation as to why you could not sit there, maybe that they were reserved. <shrug>

Shelly's is a cigar lover's restaurant. Or at least it used to be before the D.C. smoking ban. I don't know if it was affected by the smoking ban.

Sounds like complete Bull shit to me. I’ve been to Chicago many of time and ate with a few friends at restaurants nicer then what we probably disserved and where never turned away. In fact the one place that stands in my mind, not the most elite place but a meal isn’t cheap was the grand lux café where I took a gal who’s a good friend of mine. They were packed but were happy to seat the 2 of us. I saw a few guys with cigars so I decided to light up, before I even got my cutter out my server had cut my cigar for me and was waiting with a torch for me to light it with. Granted between the 2 of us it was $100 for lunch but I was impressed.

In retrospect, I probably didn't take the best course of action. I was more than ticked at how we were treated, howeve, and I was tired of hearing excuses. We would probably give it another shot sometime in the future, since most things I have read have been quite positive. We were just expecting to enjoy a long afternoon with dinner, drinks and cigars in a nice atmosphere.

Man I have to apologize for this. I am a regular at Shelly's and it has continually gotten worse in the last year or so. The owner, who is a great guy, has made some changes as of late. Unfortunately that is one of them. The only way to get one of the tables is to have four people. He feels that all the seats should be filled. All I can say is if you ever want to try it again shot me a PM and I will help you out. You can also go to the Old Ebbitt Grill on 15th and G. They allow cigar smoking for now (at three of the four bars). At least until the smoking band takes affect. If you want to go there PM me and I will defiantly hook you up.

I will be going down for the Blossoms this weekend. Not sure where I am going to smoke yet though

I will be going down for the Blossoms this weekend. Not sure where I am going to smoke yet though

I am out of town this weekend, or I would meet you for a smoke. The White House Grounds are open this weekend for garden tours PM me if you are interested.