• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shotgun recommendations?

wilmotrogers

WilmotRogers
Looking to buy a 12 gauge, just for basic skeet/clay pigeon shooting. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a basic pump model. Any thoughts??

There're still oldtimers out there who can still handle a pump on the skeet and clays courses, but it's a pain in the ass. If your dead set on a pump get the Remmington 870. I your serious about clay shooting get a Beretta Auto. If the bug bites you then a Browning O/U.

Doc.

The Browning O/U is nice, but I think the Ruger Red Label O/U's are just as nice for less $$

...just my $0.02, for what it's worth.

I'm a huge fan of the Benelli Super Black Eagle, it shoots a max load 3.5" (in 12 ga) or a 2.75" trap load. I've never had a jam, and mine has killed (or shot at) quite a few ducks, and killed a good # of turkeys. A couple friends like the Beretta Extrema, pretty much does the same as the Benelli.

like a few have stated before, if youre doing sport shooting, youll regret not getting and over and under.

I found the Browning BPS is a great shooter if your budget holds you too a pump gun. Pumpers are fine for trap, but if you want to shoot doubles, skeet, sporting clays, etc. you will be wishing you had a O/U or semi.

There are several decent options for semi autos that are not that bad. The Remington 1100/11-87 has been bustin' clay for a long time. The Beretta 391 semi's are the benchmark for auto in the sporting clays world though.

There are several online site to buy used guns, which I have had very good luck on. Hunters and sport shooters are a lot like the BOTLs, they are stand up and honest.

Just some food for thought.

Quade

Remington 870 is the standard by which the others are judged. For the price/performance you can't beat it. If you are serious about shooting clays and are a beginner look into spending the extra cash (if you have it) on an auto like the 1100.

Fish

I have always been a fan of the Berettas. Really can't go wrong there, esp. with an auto.

The Benelli and Remington suggestions are excellent as well. Between those two, I'd probably opt for a Benelli (auto as well).

Red label O/U, browning fusion(good light gun), browning gold, winchester super X, benelli SBE.

I'd stay away from the pumps unless ALL the guys you will be shooting with have them as well(and will be shooting them).

You can spend from 400 bucks to 10,000 bucks on skeet guns....been there done that, for a long time...lol Really expensive hobby.

I would recommend finding a slightly used browning or beretta and getting a comp-n-choke Skeet or IC tube to start with, if ya get an O/U get both tubes.

just my .02

Go with the 12 gauge.

Yea 20g 28g and 410 will work, but this aint no game!!!!!

Unless your massacring with the 12 already and wont more of a challenge get the 12 and lay hell!

btw, just out of curiosity. why a 12g over a 20g?
It takes shot to break clays and kill birds

Doc.

Doc is right. The way to break clays is with shot. 20ga has less per shell then 12ga. in the same size projectile. The 20ga. dioes have less kick and after a day of shooting some find it easier on the shoulder but you need to be a better shot. I use a 12ga. with low brass #6 loads for fun, and #6 high brass express loads when I am practicing for hunting.

If you're out to putz...Go with the 870. If you think you're going to take it seriously. Don't waste your money on it. Most serous skeet and trap shooters, I know. Go O/U. Some go with semi-auto's. The favorite brand being Benelli. Just my .02 worth. Either way...Remember to enjoy yourself.

Split the difference and go 16 gauge.

Great advice for a seasoned hunter. This is a great round. Smaller lighter gun with a great shot pattern. Shell can get very expensive. Probably not a good target gun. I enjoy my 16ga side by side.

For trap a 12ga is pretty standard. For sporting clays and skeet, I have used a 20ga and 28ga with good success. These are typically for the shooters looking for more of a challenge. I still use my 12ga Beretta 682 for most everything.

Quade

I suggest an o/u with choke tubes you can shoot all forms of clays then. Take a look at the turkish models megastar a lil lower end but great price under $500 or a huglu/hugsan 500-600 but better gun and it can shooot steel through its tubes. I have been useing the hugsan for 9yrs or so for trap,skeet,waterfowl and upland game birds only had to change the fireing pins once a$50 repair. I shoot about 5000 rounds a year though.

O/U is the most versatile gun out thier no moving parts to jam or miss feed only real problems that can happen is ejectors and fireing pins both of wich are fairly inexpensive repairs. 12 gauge is only way to go if you want to compete.