• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Still Having Humi Level Problems

slider9499

About a month ago I purchased a 1oz tube of the 70% beads from Heartfelt for my 75 count humi. I contacted Heartfelt directly and gave them the dimensions of my humi, they suggested the 1 oz tube. I placed it in the box according to what they told and they levels get to 70% and stay there for about 5 days then drop back down to the 65% range.

I checked the box for leaks - none
I calibrated both of my electronic hygrometers - they are spot on
I open the box once a day to get out one cigar.
It has been in the same spot in my house for 5 years and I never had this problem before

I am at a total loss as to why I am still having problems. :angry:

Any ideas or suggestions?

you might need to season the box again. My thought is because the air has been dry ( it is that way Nov-May ) the cedar slowly looses the misture it initially took in from the seasoning.

Another reason is if you smoke at least one cigar a day you probably refill half of the stock in the humi in a month. If the cigars are on the dry side when you put them in that will take away from the overall humidity and bring it down 3-4 points.

Just some ideas

Use 3 layers of weatherstripping around the lip. Do a search on Bill Clinton...LOL

Seriously, humidity can be in a range. 65-70 is perfectly fine. If you are looking to maintain an exact level in a desktop, you will constantly be freaking out for no reason. I don't know of many people who strive for 70 anyway. Most like them around 63-65. There seem to be fewer problems at that level than 70.

Don't worry about it. Your cigars won't be ruined if you smoke them at 65 and not 70 (assuming your hygrometers are accurate) - if you calibrated them using the salt test and they are digital you could have damaged them anyway. You might even find them better to your taste. Ultimately 5% of difference isn't enough to stress about.

Unless you have a very expensive Humidor it is very unlikely that it is completely sealed. Like the others said don't worry if the Humidity fluctuates a little, enjoy your cigars. Then again you can always go out and buy a $50 Cooler, does a much better job at maintaining humidity and being on these boards your bound to need the room soon enough. :D

Also humidity will fluctuate with temp. A full humi will not vary as much either.

If you use a passive humidifier in your humidor (like the beads), the RH will always fall below its setting at some point. Also, depending on the moisture content of the wood in your humidor it can take several months to fully stabilize. I saw a write-up from an institute of some sort on the time it takes for spanish cedar to dry/moisturize with only ambient conditions (i.e. without using water directly). That can range up to 3 to 6 months depending on a lot of factors.

I would just keep an eye on things over time and not worry too much. Some fluctuation is to be expected in one's regular smoking humidor anyway. Alternately, get a few wetter sticks (like from JR's LOL) and put those in there if you HAVE to keep the RH up there.

Cheers,
antaean

I live in Minnesota and we have about 0% RH in the air during the winter months. I did PG solution, beads, everything. Long story short, sometimes the environment your Humi is in will not let it achieve what you want it to. My solution was to simply buy some 65% beads and store all boxes and singles in my Coleman cooler all year around. While desk top humis are very nice items, In my experience they just don't keep up with extreme environments well.

I have an extremely expensive, very well made small Humidor which holds 26 Padron 3000's and 25 Padron 2000's(full to the top).
The seal on the lid is perfect.
I use 65% Viper beads and have found that it runs at between 63% and 68% depending on the ambient temperature of the room it is in.
I also have a much cheaper 300 count Humidor which I am running the same 65% beads in with the same readings as my smaller Humidor.
I have found that with these readings(63% and 68%), my cigars are in perfect condition and I am more than happy with the results I am getting.
I also open my Humidors once or twice a day to add a Cigar or pick a smoke to light up.
Once a week I top up my Humidification devices with a couple of drops of distilled water.
I think if you are getting the range of 65% to 70% your cigars will be in good condition and you really do not have a lot to worry about.
If you are getting readings of 80% or 55% then I would start to worry.
I hope this helps you :D

Thanks everyone. I guess I was used ot the 70% figure and I really liked my sticks at that number. I am used to having them a little softer than the norm. That being said, the box has been running at the aforementioned 68% range and the burns have been quite good, nothing out of the ordinary. I will head your advice, keep and eye on things and take it from there.

Ditto on the coolers.....

Don't know about the comment about the salt test damaging hygros but I know most hygro manufacturers recommend salt testing.....

I always kept my stuff at 70% until I started reading here that people prefer 65%, I am now doing 65% and I think I like it.....

I occasionally wipe the exterior of my desktop down with DW during dry seasons.....

Good luck

Edited for content.................