• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Strange Claims To Fame

Roseysman

Still Me
I was chatting with some friends this morning, yes I have friends, there on the payroll. Anyways one of them brought up a fact about Manchester,NH. the town I now reside in. Seems as thou we are listed in the Guiness Book of Records, and No its not because of Adam Sandler. We are the only city with a main st. that is dead end at both ends and supposedly one person stated it was the longest dead end... ???
So whats happening around your town .............

Not a lot happens in my town. The town next to mine, Clinton, has WorldComm and all that has fell upon it when the lies and bankruptcy happened.

I am not sure about McKinney, TX where I now live; if we have any claim to fame.

The town I was born in and did most of my growing up (3rd - 10th grades) Dover, Ohio was the home of the 'World's Master Carver.' Earmest "Mooney" Warther. He was an was an exceptional whittler of whimseys and carver of steam engine models.

from *1977 MOONEY the Life of the World's Master Carver by John P. Hayes, Dove publishing Co., Midvale, Ohio

""Whatcha doin'?... "Carvin' a plier tree," Mooney explained. Mooney had read that a man once cut one hundred twenty-seven pairs of tiny pliers into a piece of wood twenty four inches long and he intended to better that record. It was a meaningless project, Mooney agreed, but it had to be done. He cut a piece of black walnut thirteen inches long, three quarter of an inch wide and five-eights of an inch thick. Mathematically Mooney figured he cut five hundred eleven pairs of pliers into the block of wood and when he opened the plies they would form a tree like object.

.... Every day between June 24 and August 28 Mooney spent six to eight hours working on the project.... Finally after thirty-one thousand cuts, Mooney carefully opened each tiny pair of pliers until, indeed, they formed a tree." page27

"Mooney had never forgotten the lesson of the hobo who had introduced him to the wooden pliers and through the years he had improved on the hobo's method so he could produce the pincers by making ten quick slices in a block of wood three and a half inches long. ... Many days Mooney cut between three and four hundred pair of pliers ... Mooney could cut a pair of pliers in fifteen seconds and his best time was recorded in Shelby, Ohio on September 26, 1935 ... when he produced a pair of pincers in ten seconds" page 93

Here are some postcards & pictures of his work:
03-009.JPG

03-006.JPG

03-008.JPG

Matt

Carl Perkins and Casey Jones are from my hometown, Jackson, Tennessee.

I met Carl several times. Pretty nice fellow. One time the Beetles came to here to record with him.

Also Wink Martindale is from here.

Current residence is the hometown of Stephen Ambrose, historian and writer to a little book you might have heard of called 'Band of Brothers'.

The town I previously lived in, Menomonie WI, had a length of things to claim... some good.. some REALLY bad.

--Hometown of Swiss Miss products
--Location of the invention of the outboard marine motor
--For a few years in the 1800s it led the world in timber/lumber production
--Site of the theft of the "Star Wars: Episode I" movie print (done by drunks.. long story)
--Starting point and college of the 'Smiley Bomber'
--Town where a McDonalds hamburger was found with a condom inside

Well, I don't live in my hometown now, but I do live in Columbus, Ohio, which has been quite interesting lately.

---Home of a sniper who was finally apprehended after killing one and shoot over 20 other vehicles from overpasses.

---Home of a trucker with Al Qaeda links who wanted to blow up the Brooklyn Bridge and other sites in the country.

---Home of a Somalian man who wanted to detonate a bomb at a busy mall, and who is in custody due to his terrorist links.

---A Columbus suburb also had multiple reports of a lion running loose, which caused the city to spend thousands of dollars in helicopter fees to find the lion. To date, no lion has been apprehended.

And now, we are in a heated debate over an extremely restrictive smoking ban that the city council is hearing and will vote upon very soon.

Quite an intersting city....

ALostTexan

ALostTexan said:
Well, I don't live in my hometown now, but I do live in Columbus, Ohio, which has been quite interesting lately.

---Home of a sniper who was finally apprehended after killing one and shoot over 20 other vehicles from overpasses.
How about that - an Ohio'an in TX and a Texan in Ohio! :)

Where on 270 did they finally catch the sniper? My parents live in Delaware (famous for the "Brown Jug" race) a bit N of Columbus and didn't mention he had been caught. That moron was big news last time I was in Ohio.

Matt

My original home town was home town of Dan Quayle. Rick Fox is from the town next door, other local town is egg capitol of world and has one heck of a big egg in the town square. Have yet to see the chicken :D

I'm from a town of rednecks, but my Johnson is 11 inches long and I can tie it in a knot. Does that count?

PS- Don't believe me? I can post pic.'s

The town next to the one I grew up in was the starting point for the original cannonball run :D
I watched the start of the "legal" race a couple of times.
Didn't know the first races were so close to home until a few years after they happened.

Bill

Well, I grew up in Maynard, Mass that has the original mill known as "Digital Corporation". The town is 1 mile square and has 17 drinking establishments with 3 dry towns surounding it.
Presently, I live in Sanford, Florida which is known for supplying the US with celery for the longest time known...... :D :thumbs: :p

I have to say that the most unusual thing in my town is me. :thumbs:

I'm from Houston, which happens to lay claim to having the most strip joints than any other city in the world, there's over 3,000. Most are small neighborhood joints, but there are a couple which boast upwards of 250 dancers. I think that's why there's so many oil companies here, because the oil was here, and many deals are done at lunch at Ricks, or The Mens Club. We also happen to have the Worlds Championship Barbcue Cook-Off, at the worlds largest rodeo, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, where we get over 2,000,000 visitors from 170 countries.