• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Survey. To smoke or not to smoke, that is the question.

You can't take then with you.

Smoke them, that is what cigars are for...unless you are going to PIF them all away. If you are going to do that, make sure you pass them to BOTL that will SMOKE them.

tim

Kingantz- you may have some insight into my plight.

Badhangover- Thanks. I didn't consider that.

BBS.- Like myself, you have lived more than half a century. There is a lot more value to some possessions than monetary value. The package I recv'd had about 30 + loose cigars all cuban which will definitely be smoked. But the sealed boxes ?

Shamrocker- The friend who sent them to me did not know their vintage. He doesn't even puff. He saw the Cuban stamps and thought of me. When I informed him of his find, he also asked
what am I going to do ?

Hague- I think you may also understand

Eman- your 2 cents was worth a couple of Franklins

Wolfie- You always state your point, then go off on a random discourse that seems twisted and yet has some Timothy Leary truth to it. I like it.

Jam 1173- see shamrocker

Sinnye- Do you know bfreebern ?

Renefatdude- Don't believe in luck. Chance and odds yes, but not luck.

timothysix- selling is not an option. You picked up on my intro quote , but those smokes are not 30 + yo cubans with a certain amount of intrinsic value.

bfreebern- Thoughtful answer. Maybe we started off on the wrong foot. I'm a newbie here at CP and maybe you had some skepticism upon seeing my first post. I'm not marketing a product or validating. A PM from one of the admins told me not to take any early skepticism seriously. He stated that people come here with other motives. Hopefully through time you will see this is not true in regards to me. If I have offended you in any way, I apologize.

Mike33- can you be a little more definitive ?

I buy cigars to smoke, not collect. While I have quite a few that I may never get to, it is because I have too many, not because I won't smoke a particular one...

Choose the appropriate occasion, and smoke away is my answer....and of course, let us know what you think about it :)

~brooks

I would say smoke them on special occasions. I think it great to collect, age and smoke great cigars. But what good did collecting them and not enjoying/smoking them do for the original owner?

Great score.

Ken

Wolfie- You always state your point, then go off on a random discourse that seems twisted and yet has some Timothy Leary truth to it. I like it.

Ohhh, then you won't be surprised to find that I was fond of that crazy old man. ;) I may not agree with everything he had to say but he was a character and seemed a good man. Incidentally, one of my many favourites from the Moody Blues was Legend of a Mind. Which reminds me, if you ever get that sailboat, please think of me. I've always wanted to go sailing.

I suppose ultimately at the end of the day as long as you are satisfied with the decision you make, then it was the right one.

Cheers jaypee.

I'm going to go out on a limb here; but only so far that I could cut the limb off and not fall ;) and say that your purpose for coming here was to;
A. Drum up potential buyers/traders for your cigars
B. Ooooh, oooooh, look at my cigars
C. Ooooh, oooooh, look at my web site about my cigars

They're just cigars. Smoke 'em. You could get run over by a bus tomorrow and then what? They could suck. 30yrs is a long time.

Doc.

As Doc said. Smoke them. Every day that we get out of bed is a gift. Celebrate it!

Life has so many little things that we so often take for granted. All of these are all deserving of a good smoke.

timothysix- selling is not an option. You picked up on my intro quote , but those smokes are not 30 + yo cubans with a certain amount of intrinsic value.

I'll forgive the misspelling of the name for now. See the little arrow embedded in the quote? If you click it, it will bring you back to the post from which the quote came. If you click the post of yours I quoted, it did not come from your intro. It came from the other thread you started about these cigars. The same thread where you essentially laughed at all those who said to smoke them.

A PM from one of the admins told me not to take any early skepticism seriously.

That's rich. Wonder which one of the plethora of admins sent it...

I'm going to go out on a limb here; but only so far that I could cut the limb off and not fall ;) and say that your purpose for coming here was to;
A. Drum up potential buyers/traders for your cigars
B. Ooooh, oooooh, look at my cigars
C. Ooooh, oooooh, look at my web site about my cigars

Wait.....Is this true? Do you, in fact, play the drums? That's so cool!

I did clarinet, alto clarinet and bass clarinet (fingerings were all the same, it just meant working on your embrachure to perfect your tone and retention), as well as flute and piccolo although these days it's just guitar and didgeridoo and just for myself.

Smoke them, and keep the boxes as a reminder of such a kind gesture. Do something special with the bands. You could start a photo album, and every time you light one up, take photos with the friends or place you smoke the cigar with/at, and affix the band under it with the date next to it, and write a little bit about how the cigar was. That's what I would do. Nothing like looking through that years from now and reminiscing about good times.

Your friend gave them to you because he thought you would enjoy them.
I know most of the BOTL's on the CP enjoy cigars by...

1. Buying / Collecting them
2. Trading them
3. Giving / Passing them to other BOTL's to enjoy
4. Ultimately... Smoking them
5. Preferably with other BOTL's of like mind

Any or all of the above would please your friend. You know he's
watching you from the good place because, anyone that gives
gift's like he gave you, goes to the "GOOD PLACE".

The above is just the ramblings of a guy that would rather give than receive. :thumbs:

- KiltLad

I would smoke a couple of the loose ones and see if they are any good. It's quite possible they could have been stored badly and will suck out loud. The full boxes are of Cello cigars anyway and are intrinsically cheaper cigars so they could really suck. Or they might be great. If you aren't planning on selling then try them out and see how they are. But if you aren't considering a sale, what difference does it make if the boxes are complete or not.

Smoke the fuggers!!!!!!!!

Since your asking what I would do ....... I would have already smoked at least one, and my Thur herf folks would be getting a little note that said "Hey next week if you get to the smoke before me wait on lighting up. I have been gifted some wonderful cigars from an friend, and I can't think of a better way to express my good fortune than sharing with you brothers." Like others have said life has a lot of twists and turns might as well be the person making the good ones when you got the chance.

Joe G

cigarstone; My original topic was a simple question. Where could I get info on 30 yo smokes ? I was asked how they were stored and I explained the situation. Maybe I should not have mentioned they were Q' bies. I was asked to show pictures. I posted them off site. I think I showed a little respect being a newbie. I only offered what was requested.
This topic was a result of the first one. What better way to get a feel for a community than asking them to partake in the survey of this type.

bfreebern; I offer a fig leaf and you wipe your backside with it.

Tomthirtysix; always confirm assumptions.

Everybody else, Thanks. I'm still going to continue my research with the help of others. From what I've got so far some cigars lose their punch after 10 years. Some get better with age. It depends on many factors. The loose cigars and opened boxes will be smoked when ready and with whom I choose. The sealed boxes will have to wait for answers.

Whatcha got to say wolfie ?

cigarstone; My original topic was a simple question. Where could I get info on 30 yo smokes ? I was asked how they were stored and I explained the situation. Maybe I should not have mentioned they were Q' bies. I was asked to show pictures. I posted them off site. I think I showed a little respect being a newbie. I only offered what was requested.
This topic was a result of the first one. What better way to get a feel for a community than asking them to partake in the survey of this type.

Tomthirtysix; always confirm assumptions.

Everybody else, Thanks. I'm still going to continue my research with the help of others. From what I've got so far some cigars lose their punch after 10 years. Some get better with age. It depends on many factors. The loose cigars and opened boxes will be smoked when ready and with whom I choose. The sealed boxes will have to wait for answers.

Whatcha got to say wolfie ?

There is a point which you have failed to get. This isn't just a forum, it's a family.

Would you actively search out the family with the greatest knowledge on wine, knock on the door, give them your name and say "okay, I have these bottles of wine and I want to know how much they are worth, secondly, I am going to conduct a survey among your family of what you would do if you owned these bottles of wine......here are the rules of my survey regarding how you should answer and make sure you don't stray off topic!"

Then.....proceed to chastise every person in that family who didn't give you the answers you wanted?

THIS give you a hint?

Just how long would you expect that family to put up with your antics before they boot you out the door and tell you to learn some manners?

Sure thing, should taste about the same as your 30 yr old cigars.

Again, I have a hard time believing you're here, for anything other then validation on your cigars.