• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tablet recommendation

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.
I'm looking for an Android based tablet to use in my home brewery. Because of the environment I'll be using this in, I don't want to spend an assload of money on the thing. I do not want an iPad.

I've looked online at many offerings. There seems to be quite the range in prices. I know that with most things, you get what you pay for. I'm wondering if the units by Coby and some other companies I've never heard of that I see are even worth considering?

I will primarily use this for my brewing software, but I'd like to play music and maybe dick around on the intertoobs a bit, as well.

Does anyone have any experience with these low cost tablets? Any other recommendations? Is buying used even an option?

+1 on the Nexus 7. I have had about 6 Android tablets and the wife had the iPad 3 or whatever they call it. The Nexus has by far been the most powerful.

I own a Motorola Xoom and have rooted it, it remains powerful and does everything I want it to do. you can find many of them for a reasonable penny. If you are looking to go new, the Nexus 7 is good, the Galaxy line from Samsung is also pretty good.

I own a Motorola Xoom and have rooted it, it remains powerful and does everything I want it to do. you can find many of them for a reasonable penny. If you are looking to go new, the Nexus 7 is good, the Galaxy line from Samsung is also pretty good.

If I were to find something like that and root it, would I be able to upgrade the Android OS? I need 2.3 at the least to run the brewing software.

If I were to find something like that and root it, would I be able to upgrade the Android OS? I need 2.3 at the least to run the brewing software.
My Nexus is running 2.4.2 I believe. If you root it you can put whatever you want on it. Just make sure you follow the developers recommendations. Also make sure you keep it up to date. If you don't have a ton of time, then it is probably best to let the manufacturer take care of pudding out the updates. Hope this helps.

My Nexus is running 2.4.2 I believe. If you root it you can put whatever you want on it. Just make sure you follow the developers recommendations. Also make sure you keep it up to date. If you don't have a ton of time, then it is probably best to let the manufacturer take care of pudding out the updates. Hope this helps.

Time is one thing I generally have. I've rooted my iPod Touch and a few other devices in my time. I'm not afraid to venture down that path. I'm unfamiliar with tablets in general, so the possibility of rooting hadn't really crossed my mind. I just don't want to get stuck like I am with my iPod (it won't run any iOS over 4.2.1).

I generally do updates on my own no matter the device. I only do upgrades if there is a security risk or if there's a real need. I don't have to update just to have the latest version. I've been burned one too many times in that regard.

I just bought a T-Mobile Slate, it has an 8.9" screen and runs Android Gingerbread (3.2).

Another great option would be what others here have said, the Nexus 7 or 10.

My wife and I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, what a great tablet, there are $299 now, try one out, you will love it.

I know it isn't related to the tablet, but what brewing software are you using?

I have a Galaxy 10.1 and I am happy with it. What is your pricepoint?

Can't beat the Nexus 7 for the money. I have a Xoom that I like just fine, but it shows its age. Also I find the seven inch tablets easier to type on.

Beersmith 2. Brad has really improved the mobility and the Lite version for tablets and iPads is pretty cool. There's also a full version for tablets coming out. The beersmithrecipes.com cloud functionality is pretty nice.

I appreciate all the help, guys. I think I'll look for a tablet that shows a little age and root it if I need to. The tablet really only needs to do the things I outlined, so I don't need a lot of doodad type stuff on it. I don't need to watch any videos or anything on it.

I really need to keep the budget as low as I can since this is going to be in an inhospitable environment. I really don't want to accidentally spray 150F water on a brand new state of the art device.

Most of the more recent ones will have 4.0.4 on it, however, like was said, you can put other versions on them. If it works well enough stock, you don't even have to root it, I just like to mess with mine. Shoot me a note if you need help.

Beersmith 2. Brad has really improved the mobility and the Lite version for tablets and iPads is pretty cool. There's also a full version for tablets coming out. The beersmithrecipes.com cloud functionality is pretty nice.

I appreciate all the help, guys. I think I'll look for a tablet that shows a little age and root it if I need to. The tablet really only needs to do the things I outlined, so I don't need a lot of doodad type stuff on it. I don't need to watch any videos or anything on it.

I really need to keep the budget as low as I can since this is going to be in an inhospitable environment. I really don't want to accidentally spray 150F water on a brand new state of the art device.

What the hell do you mean you don't need to watch videos on it? What am I supposed to do in the van if not watch videos?

I have Kindle Fire and for a budget Android Tablet, I think its about as good as you can get. I think I paid $140 and that was before the new ones came out. I'm sure you could do even better now. Mine runs 2.3, but I think the new ones run 4.0.