• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tar Baby!

fetterjohn

Non-active but active and lurking!
Reaction score
14217 Ballycastle Trail, Austin Texas 78717
Just got a nice Anejo #46 from my favorite B&M today and lit the puppy right up...with a punch to open her. Lit it and it was wonderful right from the start. About 1/3 the way into it I noticed a weird taste on my tongue that I haven't experienced before...so I blow through the stick and it went away. A few more puffs and I noticed it again...so I looked at the end of it and there was a freakin' tar bubble coming out the back :angry2: :0 !!! Upon closer inspection I saw a lot of lttle tar bubbles and so I went to cut the end with a double blade and it got better, but what the heck??!! I still kinda had the taste and somewhat ruined the experience of the first fresh Anejo of the year. I got a couple that I will let sit for a while so I hope a little rest will take care of the problem. Has this happened to any of you before??

-Fetter

I've noticed the same with Anejos. The punch is just too small to allow for a good draw. You need to use a cutter on them.

Reason #1 why I don't use a punch cutter. I've only had problems with tar with torpedos when I cut them too little. Never had that issue with anything other than figurados when I use a guillotine cut, and even then, it's my fault for cutting them too little. ;)

fetterjohn,

are you sure it's the tar?

Sometimes I taste a gummy flavor in the Anejos I smoke...seems like I'm tasting the wrapper glue.

I wonder if you what you're tasting is the same.

chewbacco said:
fetterjohn,

are you sure it's the tar?

Sometimes I taste a gummy flavor in the Anejos I smoke...seems like I'm tasting the wrapper glue.

I wonder if you what you're tasting is the same.
[snapback]262296[/snapback]​

Yup...it's tar...black and sticky...tastes like tar, too.

Just need to cut them from now on...the only reason I didn't was that the shop had one of those stupid cutters with the idiot guard on it. But I've never had a problem with tar on any cigar I've punched...is it only Anejo?

-Fetter

Out of the thousands upon thousands of cigars I have smoked, not once have I seen tar. The reason is simple, I cut the head of the cigar properly. If you make a nice deep cut( instead of barely scraping the cap off) , you will never experience tar. If for some strange reason you get tar even after making a deep cut then your cigars are extremely wet and you are drawing on it way too hard.

The Master said:
Out of the thousands upon thousands of cigars I have smoked, not once have I seen tar. The reason is simple, I cut the head of the cigar properly. If you make a nice deep cut( instead of barely scraping the cap off) , you will never experience tar. If for some strange reason you get tar even after making a deep cut then your cigars are extremely wet and you are drawing on it way too hard.
[snapback]262530[/snapback]​

When I cut (usually use a Xikar) and have never ever had an issue with tar. But for a while I did only use a punch...and never had tar. This time I punched it correctly, nice and deep, but there was tar. A few guys seem to think that it is a big issue with Anejo's...I've never scene tar on an Anejo either...but all of mine are aged about a year before smoking them...could that have anything to do with it?

-Fetter

The only non-Anejo I've seen this with was a Brazilia that I smoked just last week. I did not have a cutter on me at the time but a re-punch cleared it right up.

I prefer a punch but could use a larger guage one than what is readily available. Junkman posted some info about larger guage punches that are sold in Europe a few days back. I might look into getting one of those.

fetterjohn said:
Just got a nice Anejo #46 from my favorite B&M today and lit the puppy right up...with a punch to open her. Lit it and it was wonderful right from the start. About 1/3 the way into it I noticed a weird taste on my tongue that I haven't experienced before...so I blow through the stick and it went away. A few more puffs and I noticed it again...so I looked at the end of it and there was a freakin' tar bubble coming out the back :angry2: :0 !!! Upon closer inspection I saw a lot of lttle tar bubbles and so I went to cut the end with a double blade and it got better, but what the heck??!! I still kinda had the taste and somewhat ruined the experience of the first fresh Anejo of the year. I got a couple that I will let sit for a while so I hope a little rest will take care of the problem. Has this happened to any of you before??

-Fetter
[snapback]262246[/snapback]​

Don't punch it... clip it... your tar issues will go away.

In had an Onyx tar up on me before, I believe it was cut properly with a cheaper but functional guillotine cutter. This is one of the first cigars I smoked.......

moki said:
fetterjohn said:

-Fetter
[snapback]262246[/snapback]​

Don't punch it... clip it... your tar issues will go away.
[snapback]262561[/snapback]​

Yeah...what he said!!!

Ever notice how on Fuente's you could ID the person who rolled your cigar by their finger prints? :laugh:

I swear they must tell their rollers to use the extra glue or what ever because you never see as many finger marks on cigars as Fuente's.

After seeing some of those nasty fingers in moki's Fuente album it makes feel weird as I burn right over someones gluey finger mark.

Kinda disgusting

Rich

I had an onyx do the same thing... in fact, it had more tar build up then any other cigar I've smoked before.

I gave a buddy of mine an Anejo 49 last night and within a few minutes, he had tar oozing out the cap end. So, he wiped it off and kept going, and so did the tar. :( This was one from the recent release and it's the first one I've ever had do that.

Oh well, better him than me. And for the record, he cut it with my SAK but not as big a cut as I usually make. Coincidence?!?! :whistling:

Floyd T. :thumbs:

I gave a buddy of mine an Anejo 49 last night and within a few minutes, he had tar oozing out the cap end. So, he wiped it off and kept going, and so did the tar. :( This was one from the recent release and it's the first one I've ever had do that.

Oh well, better him than me. And for the record, he cut it with my SAK but not as big a cut as I usually make. Coincidence?!?! :whistling:

Floyd T. :thumbs:

I know the recent release were extremely wet. I dumped a few boxes in my humi and it jumped up to 73 percent. Coulda still been a little wet. Where in Lexington do you go to smoke a Cigar these days?

I had some LGC Serie R that were like this. A lot of tar when punched but nothing when cut. I got a Xicar for Christmas, so I've basically done away with the punch now, anyhow.

---John Holmes...