• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Black Tubo

I revisited this smoke today and really enjoyed it. I still had some burn issues and flaking but there's definitely some flavor in there. I'm still all about the reds though :thumbs:

Fantastic review as always. When I too smoke my black it didn't have burn issues per say but the ash was really flaky and didn't stay together at all. I too got the paint thinner taste on a cold draw. I too thought the red was a better smoke for sure.

I had one of these tonight and it was fantastic. Mine gained flavor till about the halfway mark and then kept that strength the rest of the way.

The Reds are great smokes but they are very different. I'm a fan of both the Red and Black.

I like the flavor the original blacks had so I bit on these....I think the tubos have that flavor but mixed in something funky (bad) is intermingled...reminds me of the Drac paint taste mixed with that tat black taste...hope these get better with age.

Interesting this thread came up. I drove 50 miles to a great B&M out by the lake. Very upscale place (they were the ones that had the OPUS 22). After try to decide what I needed to try, the last one I picked out was the TAT black.

Next day I lit it up hoping to find the magic. What I got was a horseshoe burn with a tunnel. Touched that up and bingo, another horseshoe and more of the same tunnel. For a $15 stick, I was not impressed. Would I try a RED now, probably I would since you all seem to be hot on it, but you ain't going to see another black from this guy.

Interesting this thread came up. I drove 50 miles to a great B&M out by the lake. Very upscale place (they were the ones that had the OPUS 22). After try to decide what I needed to try, the last one I picked out was the TAT black.

Next day I lit it up hoping to find the magic. What I got was a horseshoe burn with a tunnel. Touched that up and bingo, another horseshoe and more of the same tunnel. For a $15 stick, I was not impressed. Would I try a RED now, probably I would since you all seem to be hot on it, but you ain't going to see another black from this guy.

You can't make judgements because of one experience. I had a Padron Millenium last year that was flat and didn't have much flavor and I've had Fuente products that were the same. I also had a Padron 40th that had so much tar on the end of the stick after about halfway through it tasted like crap and barel drew.

Burn problems don't bother me that much...I just touch it up with the torch and go on smoking. If it affects the flavor then it bothers me.

Had a conversation with the owner of large B&M in Boston, and was surprised to learn these "Blacks" are nothing close to the OR Black in terms of blend. In addition, I've heard more than a few complaints about construction issues -- particularly damaged feet. Add this information to the reviews in this thread, and I'm of the mind that my money is better spent elsewhere.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...........The RG on these cigars is way too large. The wrapper makes these and with so much filler tobacco, the wrapper is overwhelmed.
You guys can keep saying your going to put these down all you want, but this cigar will never be anything special.

I guess if you've never had the original size vitola they might seem like something. ;)

I completely agree. My opinion on these is save your money and put that money toward your favorite brown or red Tat. Oh, and btw, the red tube (I thought) was not that great. Not at all.

And if you really must spend extra cash on a Tat, try the Cojonu 2009.

I'll not often align myself with scoundrels such as John and Mick :p , but I have to agree on the black. I've not had the red.

The original Blacks were a very nice cigar in both releases. To me, the tubos don't even taste like the same line.

To each their own, though. Smoke what you like and chase what you want. :)

I have had one and agree with LilB. Totally unremarkable for me. I will give the second one a go and see how it turns out.

Thank you for your take on these monsters, Greg.

They should have been called the Ghoul! It sounds like the consensus is a bit of box age will serve these well.

I have only smoked a few of the Tat Black Tubos, but have been nonplussed by all of them. Not sure what all the hype was about. I imagine that the ORs, must have been far superior to the Tubos. Am going to dig into the Red Verocu Tubos next. Hopefully they won't disappoint.

I have only smoked a few of the Tat Black Tubos, but have been nonplussed by all of them. Not sure what all the hype was about. I imagine that the ORs, must have been far superior to the Tubos. Am going to dig into the Red Verocu Tubos next. Hopefully they won't disappoint.

You were nonplussed by it because it didn't live up to something you've never had before?

I am smoking one right now and except for a few burn issues I think it is Fantastic.. (Thanks Brian) I have never had the oppurtunity to smoke one of the ORs, but this one is really tasty. Different strokes for different folks!!

And before anyone else can chime in
"What you talkin' about Willis" :laugh:

You were nonplussed by it because it didn't live up to something you've never had before?

Sorry...let me clarify...by "all of them" I was referring to those few Tat Black Tubos which I have smoked (4 in total). Granted 4 is not a huge sample, but enough in terms of dollars to make me want to try something I haven't tried yet and wanted to, or to pick up more of my favorites.

I have fallen in love with this cigar. Picked up a couple boxes after smoking only 1 of them. Thanks for the review

I just had the Red Tubos. Was way more impressed with that than the black tubos. The red was powerful from the start and stayed interesting the entire ride.

John

Finishing my first Black tubo and agree with you Greg. Around the 2/3 it was reminiscent of the jar black, but these need more down time. Just my humble opinion.

I'm two thirds of the way through my first Black Tubo. Very nice cigar. I like it but I think I see what the negatives are about. Preconceptions. They often ruin a perfectly good cigar. Because of the price and past Tat experience an expectation is made of a very rich flavor like the Cojonu, perhaps. But this cigar has it's own character which I believe stands on its own merits. Whether you like it or think it's overvalued is a matter of personal preference. That being said I do think it's a bit young.

BTW, I never smoke a Pepin blend straight from a B&M. They keep the RH too high for a Pepin and they need to recover at 65% or they will tunnel and not taste right.

I'm two thirds of the way through my first Black Tubo. Very nice cigar. I like it but I think I see what the negatives are about. Preconceptions. They often ruin a perfectly good cigar. Because of the price and past Tat experience an expectation is made of a very rich flavor like the Cojonu, perhaps. But this cigar has it's own character which I believe stands on its own merits. Whether you like it or think it's overvalued is a matter of personal preference. That being said I do think it's a bit young.

BTW, I never smoke a Pepin blend straight from a B&M. They keep the RH too high for a Pepin and they need to recover at 65% or they will tunnel and not taste right.

That was my experience. You would think a B&M would know better (mainly because I didn't). It was like mush and tunneled badly. Next time I buy, gonna give them some time.

That was my experience. You would think a B&M would know better (mainly because I didn't). It was like mush and tunneled badly. Next time I buy, gonna give them some time.

Most B&Ms over humidify their cigars to keep them from drying out and for various other reasons. I've never been to one that didn't have their humidifier way too high, including Tobacco Road. I let my cigars rest at 65% for at least 2 weeks after buying them from either a B&M or a website.

There's a reason for B&Ms keeping their humidor at 70%. I, for example, expect that some of my customers will buy a cigar and they won't smoke it right away. They might take it home, keep it in their pocket for a while, etc... Through personal experience, I found that what I keep my humi at in the house works fine.....just as keeping the store's humi at the high 60s or 70 works fine for the store.