• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Evil Dr. Moki’s Blind THANK YOU Test

Cigar #2 review

Tasting Notes: Nice Robusto-ish cigar, slight box press to it... clean colorado wrapper... some age, maybe 4-5 years... has a slight Avo or Davidoff-ish prelight aroma.

Enjoyable cigar... still slightly bitter (or perhaps I smoked it a little quick), but a good gar to enjoy while mowing the back lawn. Chewy, leathery in taste, not particularly spicy, perhaps a little cardamom... some hints of roasted nuts.

All in all a decent cigar... prelight aroma made me think Avo/Davidoff, but after smoking it, I think it is Cuban... which marca is tougher. I believe this is a cigar that I have smoked before, but I can't pin exactly which marca... without looking at sizes to see what would make sense, I narrow it down to Montecristo or Partagas... (though it could be another marca like Vegas Robaina).

I'll go with the latter, and say it's a Partagas Series D... though it didn't seem to be fat enough to be so. I don't think I'm right in this guess, but so it is. ;)

Age: wrapper says older, but taste says younger... I think perhaps 4-5 years old
Origin: Cuban
Price: everyday
Marca: Partagas
Rating: 6/10

I'm going to take cigar #3 off with me to mow the paths...

Cigar #3 review

Tasting Notes: Hard to feel manly on a riding mower smoking a thin panatela like this.. but it was a nice cigar. This certainly was a more refined and dignified cigar than cigar #2... and I'm comparing it to cigar #2 since I smoked 'em back to back.

Out of the two, I enjoyed this cigar more... though I think a better environment to smoke it would be with a glass of cognac in the upcoming Rimdog Barn. Hints of toasted almonds, a nice subtle toasty undertone... I did enjoy this cigar.

I believe it is Cuban, and I believe it is a La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'or... though I probably would not buy these cigars, I would certainly enjoy smoking them if they were handed to me.

Marca: La Gloria Cubana
Rating: 7/10

Thanks for the back-to-back reviews, Moki. I'm at work so I won't be able to post the the actual cigar info until tonight, sorry folks.

Thanks for the back-to-back reviews, Moki. I'm at work so I won't be able to post the the actual cigar info until tonight, sorry folks.

I have more outside work to do today... I may smoke one or two more as yard gars! :D

BTW, congratulations, Andrew. Guess you weren't shooting blanks after all. :) Give Polly my best.

Cigar #4 review

Tasting Notes: Big meaty cigar... lasted just long enough to mow the front lawn. Started off slightly bitter, then evolved into a nice black peppery spice. The finish was slightly mushroomy in taste... and the wrapper was beautiful... looked sun grown.

This is a cigar I'd want to have with a nice stiff drink... because it is a more powerful cigar than the others have been so far in the taste test. I think the cigar is Dominican, and it tasted like one of Litto's to me.

From the size, I'd have to guess it is a Limitado

Origin: Dominican
Price: premium
Marca: La Flor Dominicana
Rating: 8/10

Cigar # 2:

Bolivar Royal Corona - 2002 - (4.8" x 50) – everyday/premium

mokithankyoucigar02zs2.jpg

Moki's thoughts:
Cigar #2 review

Tasting Notes: Nice Robusto-ish cigar, slight box press to it... clean colorado wrapper... some age, maybe 4-5 years... has a slight Avo or Davidoff-ish prelight aroma.

Enjoyable cigar... still slightly bitter (or perhaps I smoked it a little quick), but a good gar to enjoy while mowing the back lawn. Chewy, leathery in taste, not particularly spicy, perhaps a little cardamom... some hints of roasted nuts.

All in all a decent cigar... prelight aroma made me think Avo/Davidoff, but after smoking it, I think it is Cuban... which marca is tougher. I believe this is a cigar that I have smoked before, but I can't pin exactly which marca... without looking at sizes to see what would make sense, I narrow it down to Montecristo or Partagas... (though it could be another marca like Vegas Robaina).

I'll go with the latter, and say it's a Partagas Series D... though it didn't seem to be fat enough to be so. I don't think I'm right in this guess, but so it is. ;)

Age: wrapper says older, but taste says younger... I think perhaps 4-5 years old
Marca: Partagas
Rating: 6/10

I'm going to take cigar #3 off with me to mow the paths...

Origin: Andrew correctly identified the country of origin as Cuba

Marca: He incorrectly guessed that this was a Partagas.

Age: The cigar is a 2002 so his guess of 4-5 years is very close.

Price: Moki guessed this was an everyday cigar. Again, this is a cigar on the borderline of premium at around $8 a stick – close enough for me.

Rating: Obviously a much happier smoke than the first one as he gave it a 6. He mentions in his review that he felt he had smoked this cigar before and he is probably right as Bolivar is a popular marca encompassing some very tasty cigars.

Andrew seems to be settling into this now so let's move on to cigar #3.

Cigar # 3

Punch Ninfa - 2003 - (7" x 33) – premium

mokithankyoucigar03ge3.jpg

Moki's thoughts:

Cigar #3 review

Tasting Notes: Hard to feel manly on a riding mower smoking a thin panatela like this.. but it was a nice cigar. This certainly was a more refined and dignified cigar than cigar #2... and I'm comparing it to cigar #2 since I smoked 'em back to back.

Out of the two, I enjoyed this cigar more... though I think a better environment to smoke it would be with a glass of cognac in the upcoming Rimdog Barn. Hints of toasted almonds, a nice subtle toasty undertone... I did enjoy this cigar.

I believe it is Cuban, and I believe it is a La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'or... though I probably would not buy these cigars, I would certainly enjoy smoking them if they were handed to me.

Marca: La Gloria Cubana
Rating: 7/10

Origin: Andrew correctly identified the country of origin as Cuba

Marca: He incorrectly guessed that this was a La Gloria Cubana.

Age: He guessed 7 years but it is a 2003. Close but no… . OK, no bad puns.

Price: Andrew guessed everyday. I am not sure on this as it is hard to find info on this unusual cigar but I believe that is correct or at least close enough for me.

Rating: 7. Things are getting better and better for Andrew :)

Cigar # 4:

Litto Gomez Small Batch #2 -2007 (I don't have the measurements)

mokithankyoucigar04bo6.jpg

Moki's thoughts:
Cigar #4 review

Tasting Notes: Big meaty cigar... lasted just long enough to mow the front lawn. Started off slightly bitter, then evolved into a nice black peppery spice. The finish was slightly mushroomy in taste... and the wrapper was beautiful... looked sun grown.

This is a cigar I'd want to have with a nice stiff drink... because it is a more powerful cigar than the others have been so far in the taste test. I think the cigar is Dominican, and it tasted like one of Litto's to me.

From the size, I'd have to guess it is a Limitado

Origin: Dominican
Price: premium
Marca: La Flor Dominicana
Rating: 8/10
Origin: Andrew correctly identified the country of origin as the Dominican Republic.

Marca: He also nailed the maker - Litto Gomez/La Flor Dominicana. Good work!

Age: He didn't do so well here, guessing 5-6 years on a stick only a year old. I suppose that is a testament to LFD's quality.

Price: Moki guessed Premium and again I am not certain here but this might hit the realm of super-premium as these were special, limited release cigars.

Rating: Again, things keep getting better and better for Andrew. I am glad we got him one that he enjoyed enough to rate an 8.

I agree with Moki in that I thought this cigar was beautiful. The wrapper was smooth and oily - it looked like a candy bar!

Dayam,

Looks like Mr. A is kicking some A. :D Well done you old goat boffer. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Tim, is the LFD Small Batch #2 the same cigar as the infamous 'Snickers bar' LFD? That cigar is absolutely fantastic. Just curious.

Cigar #2 -- I'm slightly surprised it was a Bolivar... didn't have the earthy taste that I'd expect, tasted closer to a Partagas to me (even if the size made no sense). I'm not expecting to get the marca right that often anyway, tho :)

Cigar #3 -- Ah well... I figured a cigar of that size was very likely a LGC -- I doubt I would have gotten that it was a Punch, but that does make some sense. I fell into the trap of looking at the cigar, thinking "That must be a LGC!" and then it changing my perception from there on. Happens to me as much as everyone else!

Cigar #4 -- the age on this cigar was a guess based on how old I knew the Limitado I was, and not so much based on how it tasted -- my fault for falling into the trap of preconceived knowledge. I'm actually glad it was not a Limitado, because while it tasted like a Litto cigar to me, it did not taste like Limitados that I recalled... and it didn't taste as aged as it should for being that cigar.

Nice job!!
I've enjoyed both of the blind taste test threads.

Brian

Dayam,

Looks like Mr. A is kicking some A. :D Well done you old goat boffer. :thumbs:

Wilkey

The fine art of yard gar reviewing! I'm actually having fun with it -- and I hope to get some spectacularly wrong soon, to provide some entertainment to you all. ;)

Tim, is the LFD Small Batch #2 the same cigar as the infamous 'Snickers bar' LFD? That cigar is absolutely fantastic. Just curious.

Not the same Mick, I believe you're thinking of the Factory Press.

This is turning out to be quite the interesting thread! I have followed many of moki's blind tasting challenges, and the most significant contrast that I notice is that moki's participants are usually well under 50% correct on NC vs. CC calls, whereas moki is 4/4 so far. Not only is he 100% on NC vs. CC, but he has also nailed the particular country of origin each time.

Can this be chalked up to experience? Is moki a 'supertaster?'

This is turning out to be quite the interesting thread! I have followed many of moki's blind tasting challenges, and the most significant contrast that I notice is that moki's participants are usually well under 50% correct on NC vs. CC calls, whereas moki is 4/4 so far. Not only is he 100% on NC vs. CC, but he has also nailed the particular country of origin each time.

Can this be chalked up to experience? Is moki a 'supertaster?'

Nah, just dumb luck.... and we're only 4 smokes in too... I get the next 6 wrong, and I'm 40%... and I've gotten the marca wrong 3 times.

Really I think focusing on the score doesn't matter so much as realizing that blind taste testing is hard, and your preconceptions ruin you. I was hurt by my preconceptions for all of the cigars except #1, which I just disliked:

Cigar #2 -- I do remember thinking "Bolivar" at one point, but ruled it out when it didn't taste like what I thought a Bolivar should taste like. That sent me down a path that ignore that marca entirely.

Cigar #3 -- I thought the only cigar I could imagine coming in this size was a La Gloria Cubana... and formed my opinions based on that

Cigar #4 -- I knew it was a Litto cigar, and even though it didn't taste like a Limitado I to me, I guessed that cigar, because I couldn't think of what other Litto cigar would be that size with that wrapper. That predetermination caused me to guess the age wrong

Even in a "blind" taste test, I really do think taste is only a small part of what causes you to make various determinations.