• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Gentle Essence of a Nub

SyrLinus

Virtualized Security Geek
Cigar Name: Nub Connecticut (3.7 x 54)

Cigar Description: Nicaraguan filler with Connecticut wrapper

Cigar Strength: Medium

Review of the Cigar itself: Nub cigars were introduced earlier this year with great fanfare and received with some skepticism. To many, it was a gimmick. The idea was that there is a specific part of a cigar that has the most flavour and best flavour in it. Whether true or not, some Nub cigars have good flavour. The Connecticut 54 is no exception. Well constructed with a nice firm feel to it, the cigar seems lighter than some other 54 guage cigars I've had. It toasted well with a nice gentle burned cedar scent and just enough smoke to add a nice scent to the air, a nice addition on a cool day. It wafts a light blue dance from each end and follows the wind out the window.

The ash that is created seems rather a solid mixture of white, gray and black. It remains rather consistent in form and, surprisingly, doesn't flake. Given how light feeling the cigar is I had pegged it to be a flaky kind of cigar but it stays on, even with repeated tapping. The draw is pleasant with hints of cedar and a bit of a background creamy leather taste.
Because of the smaller size of these "big" cigars, it's hard to divide it into thirds. So generally speaking, I divide it into halves. And in the 2nd half, a peppery tinge began to appear behind the leather and cedar. This cigar, while a medium in flavour, was a harmonious dance of the cedar, leather and mild pepper all the way through. The flavours were both distinct and yet, inter-twined with each other to please the palate. As I got to the "nub" (maybe stub is a better term for the end of a Nub?), I noticed little whiffs of fennel and earthier tones. Generally, this cigar required few touch-ups and the ones I had to do were because of being called to help out quickly with a chore or two. Overall, it's not an extraordinary cigar but definitely enjoyable.

Enjoyed with: Black coffee with sugar and water

Smoke time: approximately an hour and a half

Final Review Rating: 8/10

Back