• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The great Fyodor blind taste test!

And we're off.

I tell you, I haven't smoked many 1970's Montecristos but two in recent memory were completely different. One was very much in your face and punchy. The other was delicate, present, but almost ghostlike. Curiously, I've observed the same variation across 2006 Montecristos. ??? For the price, I prefer to buy current releases. Some of it comes down to simply not having the time or energy to really focus and pull out the flavors in a mild, nuanced vintage cigar.

Enjoy yourself, Fy. Take this test in the right frame of mind and you will learn much about many things including yourself as a smoker. Just don't look at it as a test of whether or not you can tell Cuban from non-Cuban.

Wilkey

Damn, if I were smart I'd have slipped a Moontrance in there just for fun! :D

Great experiment, it's already very interesting. :)

Why do I have a feeling that over half of the cigars are going to be ones that I'll never have a chance to look at? Great job to start Moki! I'm gonna have a ton of fun on this one.

Why do I have a feeling that over half of the cigars are going to be ones that I'll never have a chance to look at?
Considering the source of the cigars, that's pretty much a given, no? Andrew could charge money for tours of his collection/stash.

Don't be so sure... there is a rather interesting range of cigars in there... might even be a Moontrance :)

This is what I call Shock and Awe! Nnow the rest should be easy. :sign: :sign: :sign: Great "contest" Thank you Moki and Fy for this! :thumbs:

So when is the next cigar going down, Fyodor?

yep different person, same results. this is a very difficult test for anyone, now here is a thought for you. one could very easily not even smoke the cigar and just look at it and choose cuban or non cuban and probably hit the same results LOL. not trying to be mean but you do have a 50-50 chance of getting cuban or non cuban. so everyone that has done this should be right at 50% however most are not, more like 34-45% correct.

if i am wrong moki post the last results.

Cigar no. 2

I wish I wouldn't have acted so sure of my guess on cigar no.1 because it totally discredits my opinions on this one. But this time I am entirely sure. Pre-light smell, taste and both after it's lit remind me of only one thing. Cuba. This has the same typical Cuban flavor most of the cigars I smoke have. In fact sometimes I wonder if they don't just put different bands on the same tobacco over there. And I hate to start of with the country of origin first, I listened to Ginseng's advice and want to follow it, but Cuban best describes the flavor to me and this is the basis of my argument in the first place. I will try to break down the experience but to me just saying Cuban describes it better.

Started off a tad harsh for the first puffs. Then I tasted some spice which dissipated while the cigar was smoked. I also detect a bit of a burnt wood flavor and occasional powdery cocoa. The definitive element which I assume is being described when people say Cuban twang is the tangy, somewhat citrusy flavor on the finish. The cigar has a wonderful finish which retains the best flavors in the cigar. It also leaves a slight tingle in the mouth towards the end of the cigar. Medium bodied.

I hate to sound too sure of myself but I'm willing to rest my entire argument on weather I'm right about this particular cigar. And by some very slight chance it's not Cuban I think I will rarely bother with the hassle of obtaining Cubans and just smoke this primarily. 9/10

I couldn't begin to guess which Cuban cigar this is as it taste like so many of them

Verdict- Cuban

I am starting to get a cold, it hasn't effected my taste buds yet but I'm sure it will so I may not be able to post another review real soon. If this becomes the case I apologise.

I enjoy the cockiness. I think that it brings a little more to the table as far as what you have to gain or lose. Obviously the first one threw you for a loop but I like the fact that you aren't on the fence and that you can definitively say one way or the other what, you think, the country of origin is! Keep up the great work Fyodor, I am enjoying every second of it!! (as is evident by the fact that I'm checking up on the status of this thread on Friday night at 8:40... ???)

edited to give Moki the thanks that he deserves for once again offering up the great sticks for this test! Thanks Moki!

Cigar no. 2

I wish I wouldn't have acted so sure of my guess on cigar no.1 because it totally discredits my opinions on this one. But this time I am entirely sure. Pre-light smell, taste and both after it's lit remind me of only one thing. Cuba. This has the same typical Cuban flavor most of the cigars I smoke have. In fact sometimes I wonder if they don't just put different bands on the same tobacco over there. And I hate to start of with the country of origin first, I listened to Ginseng's advice and want to follow it, but Cuban best describes the flavor to me and this is the basis of my argument in the first place. I will try to break down the experience but to me just saying Cuban describes it better.

Started off a tad harsh for the first puffs. Then I tasted some spice which dissipated while the cigar was smoked. I also detect a bit of a burnt wood flavor and occasional powdery cocoa. The definitive element which I assume is being described when people say Cuban twang is the tangy, somewhat citrusy flavor on the finish. The cigar has a wonderful finish which retains the best flavors in the cigar. It also leaves a slight tingle in the mouth towards the end of the cigar. Medium bodied.

I hate to sound too sure of myself but I'm willing to rest my entire argument on weather I'm right about this particular cigar. And by some very slight chance it's not Cuban I think I will rarely bother with the hassle of obtaining Cubans and just smoke this primarily. 9/10

I couldn't begin to guess which Cuban cigar this is as it taste like so many of them

Verdict- Cuban

I agree that these are good cigars, but what you tasted actually doesn't point to one place, but rather two places... read on!

Cigar #2 results

Fyodor says:

Cigar rating: 9/10
Origin guess: Cuba
Cuban/non-Cuban: Cuban

Survey says:

Actual origin: Nicaraguan
Cigar #2 is a: non-Cuban Cabaiguan WCD 120 (4 5/8" x 42)

Commentary:

This cigar actually points to two places... Nicaragua, which is where the blend tobacco is from, and the good old USA for the Connecticut seed shade wrapper (grown in Ecuador) that adorns this special Cabaiguan release. No typical Cuban flavor/taste here! This is a great cigar, IMHO, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, but it is definitely not Cuban in origin (even though it is named after a region in Cuba).

I love putting this cigar in blind taste tests, because it's such a nice smoke, and it's also a cigar that if the head were not cut, it'd actually be even more deceptive, because it has a pigtail that makes it look exactly like a Cuban Trinidad Reyes.

BTW, you did nail the tasting notes I get from this cigar though... starts off a little rough (could use some age) and then mellows out into a fantastic smoke. The medium-bodied Cabaiguan taste profile is something that many "Cuban" smokers seem to enjoy, because it is creamy and flavorful, while not being overly harsh or spicy. Still, the cigar you smoked is relatively young (from 2007), and I think will likely get even nicer with some age on it.

Since you liked this cigar so much, I would highly recommend that you check out the other vitolas in the Cabaiguan line. It's a fantastic blend, IMHO, even though it gets less "hype" than Pete's Tatuaje line. Good stuff!

The bad news is you got it wrong... the good news is that you found a readily available non-Cuban cigar that you appear to very much enjoy! Perhaps it shouldn't hinge on one cigar, but by your own pronouncement, you might want to not bother seeking out those beloved Habanos with quite as much fervor ;)

Results so far:

#1 - Cuban Montecristo Tubos 1970s -- (5/10) guessed non-Cuban, Domincan or Honduran - Incorrect
#2 - non-Cuban Cabaiguan WCD 120 -- (9/10) guessed Cuban - Incorrect

Score: Cigars 2, Fyodor 0

Heheheh yep - this is proceeding true to form. It's amazing to watch the same pattern repeat every time. I am sure I would get my ass kicked if I took this test too.

I enjoy the cockiness. I think that it brings a little more to the table as far as what you have to gain or lose. Obviously the first one threw you for a loop but I like the fact that you aren't on the fence and that you can definitively say one way or the other what, you think, the country of origin is! Keep up the great work Fyodor, I am enjoying every second of it!! (as is evident by the fact that I'm checking up on the status of this thread on Friday night at 8:40... ???)

I concur -- Fyodor has been very agreeable regarding this test, and deserves kudos for seeing it through with such class and enthusiasm.

Heheheh yep - this is proceeding true to form. It's amazing to watch the same pattern repeat every time. I am sure I would get my ass kicked if I took this test too.

Much has to do with cigar selection... they are carefully chosen to break through people's preconceptions regarding cigar tastes.

Interesting.

Among other things, it proves that an expensive cigar has the edge before it is torched.

Take the 70's Monte Tubos as an example(I got them from the same excellent BOTL source as you did Moki), when I pull one out of the tube and hold it
in my hand I am thinking, wow, from 1970's. When I torch it and carefully hold it as I smoke, I'm thinking, wow, from 1970's. Yet Fyodor didn't afford it
the same respect, to him it was just a cigar that he didn't enjoy. I thoroughly enjoy them but would I feel the same in a blind test? Somehow I don't think so.

Brian