• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The great Fyodor blind taste test!

well put Infinity. I also now know I need to find me some cabiguans. I have a box of the beli and I agree that they are mild to medium but very creamy and full of flavor. I've enjoyed these more on the rare times I have smoked one before noon and with good cups of java

Interesting.

Among other things, it proves that an expensive cigar has the edge before it is torched.

Take the 70's Monte Tubos as an example(I got them from the same excellent BOTL source as you did Moki), when I pull one out of the tube and hold it
in my hand I am thinking, wow, from 1970's. When I torch it and carefully hold it as I smoke, I'm thinking, wow, from 1970's. Yet Fyodor didn't afford it
the same respect, to him it was just a cigar that he didn't enjoy. I thoroughly enjoy them but would I feel the same in a blind test? Somehow I don't think so.

Brian

Expectation is the 800 pound gorilla. What of the reverse. Someone hands you a cigar that you know you've not enjoyed in the past. Would your past perceptions slant your opinion?

edit: more or less duplicate to Andrew's observation.

Heheheh yep - this is proceeding true to form. It's amazing to watch the same pattern repeat every time. I am sure I would get my ass kicked if I took this test too.

Much has to do with cigar selection... they are carefully chosen to break through people's preconceptions regarding cigar tastes.
So if the cigars in the test were "carefully chosen", is it truely a test? To me this sounds more like proving the exception, rather than the rule.

Expectation is the 800 pound gorilla. What of the reverse. Someone hands you a cigar that you know you've not enjoyed in the past. Would your past perceptions slant your opinion?

edit: more or less duplicate to Andrew's observation.

This may be just me but I try to keep an open mind about most things I smoke although I will admit I'm known to hold reservations against things I have not enjoyed or appear I will not enjoy. One example is the Felipe Gregorio Dominicana. I thought I would absolutely hate this smoke, the stick I had was pretty shoddy and the band looked cheap so I was pretty prejudiced against it in the beginning. I decided to smoke it anyways since I could always throw it out and light up a Hemingway to make up for the pain I had just caused my palate :D I even had the stick I was going to light up afterwards next to me before I had even sparked the Felipe. I don't think I've ever been more blown away actually. There is something about being proven wrong that just makes it taste all that much sweeter. Regardless to say there is a box on it's way to my house.

Just my thoughts although for some reason I always end up being an exception to certain cases.

Well I'm a bit surprised to say the least. The funny thing is I've smoked several Cabaiguan's and liked them very much, thought they were a little Cuban-esque. I didn't realise they were that Cuban-esque though! I guess knowing before hand what the cigar was kept me from seeing just how similar they were. Although, I had never had the WCD 120 and I think it's a bit different judging by this one. I hope they aren't too hard to find. I know that Moki is doing his best to trick me and I appreciate the effort on his part. He is doing a fine job of proving his point. As I said I was willing to rest my whole argument on this one cigar and I admit defeat and now see things a bit differently. Although, knowing that this cigar would remind me of a Cuban and trip me up and using it to that end proves there is such a thing as Cuban-esque. It's not just a ridiculous term. But there are just too many grey areas between cigars to get hung up on it.

Well, this cold is plugging up my sinuses something terrible and it will be at least a few days until I will be able to smoke another. Sorry for the delay, but I want to be able to continue to give my one hundred percent honest take on each cigar and that is hard to do when you can't smell. Hopefully after I get better I can move through them somewhat quickly.

-mark

Well now. After that admission, I guess the rest of the taste test will be rather anticlimactic. ???

Wilkey

Well I'm a bit surprised to say the least

<snip>

As I said I was willing to rest my whole argument on this one cigar and I admit defeat and now see things a bit differently.

<snip>

Well, this cold is plugging up my sinuses something terrible and it will be at least a few days until I will be able to smoke another. Sorry for the delay, but I want to be able to continue to give my one hundred percent honest take on each cigar and that is hard to do when you can't smell. Hopefully after I get better I can move through them somewhat quickly.

-mark

Mark, you have been very willing, open, honest, and good humored about this whole thing and my hat is off to you. I hope you feel better soon and that you run this thing through to the end. These taste tests are really informative and interesting to watch as they unfold and you have done a great job so far.

- Tim

Heheheh yep - this is proceeding true to form. It's amazing to watch the same pattern repeat every time. I am sure I would get my ass kicked if I took this test too.

Much has to do with cigar selection... they are carefully chosen to break through people's preconceptions regarding cigar tastes.
So if the cigars in the test were "carefully chosen", is it truely a test? To me this sounds more like proving the exception, rather than the rule.

Not at all. Look at the cigars that are chosen; they are generally fairly common (even if aged) examples of cigars from various countries.

My point is that I don't pick anything that is very obviously unambiguous. If I put a Padron 1964 into the blind taste test, what's the point? Very easy to pick out based on the look and taste of that cigar.

Besides, someone who claims they can pick out the taste of a "Cuban cigar" anywhere should be able to do just that... no?

Although, knowing that this cigar would remind me of a Cuban and trip me up and using it to that end proves there is such a thing as Cuban-esque. It's not just a ridiculous term. But there are just too many grey areas between cigars to get hung up on it.

Nope, I never said that a Cabaiguan was "Cuban-esque" because I do not believe such a thing exists. I merely meant that "medium bodied, creamy, flavorful" is something that seems to appeal to "Cuban cigar smokers". Nothing to do with it tasting "Cuban" (whatever that means ;) ).

Although, knowing that this cigar would remind me of a Cuban and trip me up and using it to that end proves there is such a thing as Cuban-esque. It's not just a ridiculous term. But there are just too many grey areas between cigars to get hung up on it.

Nope, I never said that a Cabaiguan was "Cuban-esque" because I do not believe such a thing exists. I merely meant that "medium bodied, creamy, flavorful" is something that seems to appeal to "Cuban cigar smokers". Nothing to do with it tasting "Cuban" (whatever that means ;) ).

bolded for LOL

edited for: Man, I would get crushed in this test.

I really wished that moki would have given these cigars to 2 ppl. It would have been nice too see the opinions from 2 different ppl. Too see if one could truly pick out the cigars as cuban vs non-cuban. Different ppl have different pallates. I think it would have been a more scientific approach .

Great thread! :thumbs:

TheMatrix_DivX_346_0001.jpg

I really wished that moki would have given these cigars to 2 ppl. It would have been nice too see the opinions from 2 different ppl. Too see if one could truly pick out the cigars as cuban vs non-cuban. Different ppl have different pallates. I think it would have been a more scientific approach .

One truism about blind taste test... Observers think they can do better than the test subject. But it really is harder than you might think when you are the one on the hot seat.

This is good, I think I will have a Cabaiguan this afternoon. Tangomar introduced me to these a couple of months ago and the B&M's in Knoxville seem to have plenty of them.

Hang in there Fyodor, you may be missing the country of origin but the reviews are good.

-Doug

I agree with others that this is a great test and I am happy to see the blind testing. Hopefully, it will get a few people thinking outside the box.

I agree with others that this is a great test and I am happy to see the blind testing. Hopefully, it will get a few people thinking outside the box.

...and also hopefully seeing that the meme of a "Cuban cigar taste" that can be easily picked out falls into Wilkey's "fantasty" category ;)

Fantasy: Clearly idiosyncratic or wishful pronouncements that have no consistent basis for support either in observation or experience.

One truism about blind taste test... Observers think they can do better than the test subject. But it really is harder than you might think when you are the one on the hot seat.

I think Alex's point comes back to sample size. "The Indians I saw walked single file, therefore all Indians walk single file" While this thread is entertaining, it provides for speculation, but supports no valid conclusions. I believe you are conducting this test elsewhere. Will you be summarizing all the tests?