• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The knife, and it's value as an Every Day Carry item.

Gavin said:
Had my EDC confiscated when I went to a baseball game about two weeks ago. Silly me, I forgot that people can't congregate without stabbing each other.

Way off topic for knives but true story about baseball violence…… :p 

I grew up in Eugene, OR and loved going to Civic Stadium and watching the Eugene Emeralds baseball team play.  Great AAA team, and a great ‘boys of summer’ old, wood bleacher stadium that held maybe 5,000.  Cheap box seats, good dogs, reasonable beer…..just couldn’t beat it on a warm summer night.  

Well, one night they had a promotion – free mini bats to the first 1000 through the gates.  Now, these weren’t crappy little bats; they were 1/3 scale replicas of the Louisville Slugger, made from wood, with the club logos on them.  Really nice, very hefty….and could be swung with quite an impact.  After all these years I still have mine, it’s very cool.

That would have been fine and good, but I kid you not, they did this promotion on what was the regular running Wednesday night promotion…..I'm not kidding.....cheap beer night.  Seems a bunch of folks from the local university frat houses would show up and build these huge pyramids of empty beer cups as the night went on and demonstrate some serious carbonated malt beverage consumption.  In past such nights, I can remember seeing a few carried out on the shoulders of the less trashed.  Pretty harmless fun…..except on bat night.

About the sixth inning, someone got pissed off at someone else and about a hundred people started wailing on each other with these little bats, throwing beer, just a good old fashioned bar fight….except it was at the baseball stadium and lots of them were armed with pretty awesome little clubs.  To those not down close to their box seats, it was quite a show.  Took 30 or 40 local police to calm things down.  As I recall, about 20 folks went to jail and several went to the local hospital in varying levels of damage.  Honestly, It’s a wonder someone wasn’t killed.

Needless to say, that was the last beer night for Civic Stadium….the Oregon Liquor Control Commission made sure of that..... :laugh: 

In a street fight, sans firearms,  I would prefer the bat to the knife. But that's not what the knife does. A knife lets you shape your environment. It puts you in control. You can make things. You can survive.. A gun is good for killing and a miserable hammer at best. As far as defending yourself, a knife is very messy. Too many blood borne diseases to worry about.

Doc

I bought a mini-griptilian about a month ago to replace my old EDC I had carried since 2006. At sure I wasn't sure I was going to like it because opening and closing were very tight and the pocket clip was so tight it was practically unusable. After about a week of EDC I fell in love. It opens like butter and the pocket clip broke in nicely. Here's to hoping this one lasts as long as my last EDC (I'm sure it will last even longer).

Devil Doc said:
In a street fight, sans firearms,  I would prefer the bat to the knife. But that's not what the knife does. A knife lets you shape your environment. It puts you in control. You can make things. You can survive.. A gun is good for killing and a miserable hammer at best. As far as defending yourself, a knife is very messy. Too many blood borne diseases to worry about.

Doc

This Doc, is what I am getting after with this thread.

I am not talking about killing and staying and the fact that so many carry a firearm now days.
It is about the secret place in my heart that a knife calls too.

T

I'm constantly reminding people that knife is tool, not weapon.
I use mine daily for many tasks. My grandfather used to use his to cut and eat his apple. I do it at work now and get some weird looks but it reminds me of my grandfather so screw the sheep.

my SOG Twitch became a micro screwdriver to replace name plates on a plaque.

No one around had a screwdriver, but after today, a small flat and Phillips will find a place in my EDC kit as I continue to develop it.

T

MX said:

No one around had a screwdriver, but after today, a small flat and Phillips will find a place in my EDC kit as I continue to develop it.

T
If your looking for a flashlight to add check out the Streamlight Micro Stream. Nice little light, bright and compact.

I get where you're coming from Wyatt, it does represent an extension of ourselves in a masculine sense. But it's even more, it satisfies a piece of ourselves and gives us a measure of comfort. Not in a defensive sense, but in the fact that it is sort of a phallic symbol (much like a cigar) to the male species....it's empowering. This doesn't mean that those of us that carry them have any feelings of inadequacy or insecurity, it could mean that we have to satisfy the urge to be prepared for any challenge that faces us. 

Conversely, I do worry when I carry one, that if I'm in a situation where I take something out of my pocket and it comes out...that the people around me would misunderstand why I carry it. With the anti Second Amendment (and anti anything that could be used as a defensive weapon) folks all around us, it is something we have to take seriously when we leave our home and decide whether to take it or not.

....that's why you need one with a pocket clip.  Stays tightly clipped to your pocket unless you want it to come out.  My CRKT stays put, nicely.

06f9064be3937d1933d7a560d70391c9.jpg

c12833ed3d5d862e4675599a316979ad.jpg

Top of the world. Or at least Manitou Springs

I never am without my Kershaw Blur - one in my pants at all time, one in my truck, one in my uniform pants at work and one in my turnouts. One handed 'assisted' opening and a WIDE pocket clip since I tend to 'flop' down in chairs and have bent many a clip that way. Plus they are inexpensive and hold an edge well enough. I find myself using it for just about anything - even went ptarmigan hunting last week and forgot my hunting blade so out comes the EDC knife and did the cleaning. Anymore and I feel naked without it.

My new blade should be here tomorrow. Picked up a cheap bruiser/beater for my trip to the Cali Desert in a few weeks. Should also pick up an Ontario Rat 1 next week.

New knife is a Enlan El-06........

My Enlan got here last week, I really like it a lot for what it is and how much I paid for it.

Pics later

T

Good to hear.  Looking forward to the photos.  I'm on the lookout for a new EDC blade.  I find the need for one at work quite often, but rarely have something handy.

Indispensable. I have carried a pocket knife for about 50 years. Use one several times a day. I have EDCd the same Spyderco Wegner Junior for over 20 yrs. I feel naked without it, which has only happened 1 or 2 times. There is also a knife at all of my sitting areas around the house, as well as some sort of sharpening tool. 

Regarding Gary's comment concerning how someone might react to a knife. It is a valid concern. I think it is more of an issue with tacti-cool designs or larger bladed, over 3" blades.  Keeping a knife more like folks fathers might have carried, like a lot of the patterns Case still produces, is much more neutral. But, I love the convenience of a one handed folder.

I recently bought a Spyderco Stretch (Super Blue Steel) . Blade is a bit longer than I like, but dang that thing cuts, slices, etc. fantastically.

Breedy said:

T
If your looking for a flashlight to add check out the Streamlight Micro Stream. Nice little light, bright and compact.

I've the fenix but leave it in the car now.

I picked one of these up...great at 45lm. 

http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-tube-opt.html

Then again, I have TN11 with extended body.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?327064-Review-of-ThruNite-TN11-with-measurements-and-outdoor-beamshots