• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The knife, and it's value as an Every Day Carry item.

I carry a "Grab n Stab" daily.
86b4ff65e21916701cabf2e9c8a12dea.jpg

that is an extreme tanto

MX said:
that is an extreme tanto
Very much so. [emoji106]
That knife is tucked in my waistband and would only come out to play if things get ugly.

My workhorse is my 20+yr old Case XX 5254 with stag handles that rides in my pocket.
It needs a few passes on the stones, but opens boxes and cleans fingernails just fine.

08212de5e3b06313ba692a2c414e0de1.jpg

I purchased the Opinel No8 Carbon Pocket Knife. I like the look of it and that the blade is carbon steel. This is my first pocket knife so I didn't want to go all crazy with it. It will make a nice steak knife if I move up the pocket knife ladder.
87acc50f1afeadf506751502a4baa894.jpg

If I like and get used to carrying a knife then I'm planning on getting the Spyderco ParaMilitary2 G-10 Plain Edge Knife
spyderco-paramilitary-2-c81g-thumb.jpg

There's nothing wrong with Carbon steel also known as tool steel. It will take a keener edge than most of the exotic steels and sharpen much faster. You just got to know how to take care of it.

Doc

Sea-Dog blood makes tool steal rust

Never been a Spyderco fan, but the Ontario RAT has a very similar grip as the Para and a blade without a (imho) big dumb hole.....LOL

It's steel, noob. And yes it does, but that's what whale oil is for.

Doc

I like carbon steel, I have a few kitchen knives made out of it, they are easy to sharpen and imho holds an edge longer than most stainless steel knives. I use mineral oil on mines. These are two of my favorite ones. I was about to get this pork shoulder ready for some smoke.
IMG_20150927_132558_zpsdchifgrg.jpg

MX said:
Sea-Dog blood makes tool steal rust

Never been a Spyderco fan, but the Ontario RAT has a very similar grip as the Para and a blade without a (imho) big dumb hole.....LOL

Thanks, I will check that one out as well. I don't mind the hole.

Just as an aside and not to derail the thread. You know that sharpening oil that comes in a 4oz plastic container? It's just auto-matic transmission fluid. You can buy a lot of it for the price of one of those. I also use mineral oil. Baby oil actually. Makes the knives smell nice. :p

Doc

I didn't know that! I use water on my DMT diamond stones. The mineral oil I use is the lubricant laxative from CVS, makes the knives blade nice and slippery and nobody is ever constipated at home :laugh: ... I also use it on my cutting board.