• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking about finding a new drink with my smoke.

Lagamm

I am more a beer guy when I smoke but am thinking about expanding my pallet to a scotch or brandy. I do not know anything about these fine liquids.

Any recommendations for this newbie? How about price? I was thinking no more than $50-60.00.

I would post this question under our spirits wine beer section of the forum. Try searching. I'm sure thee has been some research done. I dunno by some guy named... AVB??? :) at least as far as scotch goes.

Darn, sorry I looked quick and didn't see that section! I guess that's what I get for browsing with an I phone, lol!

I'd say go for a Balvenie 12 yr at about 60 ish bucks. Monkey shoulder is a good scotch for about 25-28 bucks.

I'd say go glenlivet 12 for $30. Easy drinking, not terribly complicated but just a good scotch to start with and when you find yourself wishing for more, it's a good place to refer to since everyone knows it.

Honestly, in my opinion only less peaty Scotches pair that well with cigars.  I may be alone in this opinion but if I'm going to drink hard liquor with a cigar, its going to be a fine bourbon, or a Speyside or blended scotch whisky.  Certainly not an Islay scotch.    

Thanks guys, going to go with the Balvenie Doublewood 12.  within the price i want to spend, going to pick it up today. This is my 1st entry into Scotch. I will let you know how it works out. 

This question seems to be right in my wheelhouse. The Balvenie Doublewood is a pretty nice scotch; as is The Glenlivet mentioned above. I've become partial to Edradour 10 and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban while smoking and have turned many non-scotch drinkers over to the dark side with those two. YMMV. Enjoy!

Lagamm you won't go wrong with Balvenie. It's one of my favs especially the 15. You may also want to try Dalwhinnie 15 which is priced right around the same mark as the Balvenie 12.

I enjoyed my 1st "real" scotch tonight. Complements cigars very well. Used some ice and sipped and enjoyed the flavors. Now need to get used to the potency. 
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11767]

thanks again for your recommendations. 

There's nothing wrong with adding a little spring water to your scotch if it seems too strong for you.  Or some guys sip a glass of water on the side. Just do whatever makes you enjoy it best.

I probably would have gone with a Glenlivet or Glenfidich if you were going to ice it. Balvenie never needs any ice. If you are trying to get used to the "potency" I wouldn't spend much on a bottle. Just my two cents.

I used to put a little ice in even the really, really good single malts, but I don't anymore.  Try it with just one cube and see what you think.  As someone who used to take his JWB in a Scotch and soda for a couple decades, it took me a year or two with single malts to switch over to neat.  There's no wrong way to enjoy them as long as YOU enjoy them that way.

~Boar

chiefmd said:
I probably would have gone with a Glenlivet or Glenfidich if you were going to ice it. Balvenie never needs any ice. If you are trying to get used to the "potency" I wouldn't spend much on a bottle. Just my two cents.
Alright chiefmd, i figured there would be some scotch snob that would say something about the ice. But I have to say you are 100% right. I did 1/4 glass straight up tonight and wow, what a difference. The flavors are amazing. Rolled it off my tongue and BAM, full of amazing flavors. Still have to get used to the punch of the stronger alcohol compare to beer but I don't think I will have a problem, LOL.