• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2016

More like mid-september and ends first week in October. It ties into the harvest season. Munich isn't the only harvest festival. Most other villages, towns and cities have them, especially in the farming areas of the country. It's just that Munich's became the best known because of it's size. The fact that US servicemen were stationed largely in southern Germany, helped tremendously with American's exposure to southern German traditions too. In Germany though, Bavaria and Saxony are considered kind of like the "red-neck hill-billies" of the country.

"Oktoberfest is the world's largest Volksfest (beer festival and travelling funfair). Held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, it is a 16-day folk festival running from mid or late September to the first weekend in October, with more than 6 million people from around the world attending the event every year."

I've only been to one and it was a great time. Have you been to any?

I never went to the original in München, but went to "the second biggest Oktoberfest" in Stuttgart twice. I had planned on taking one of the USO bus trips down there with a few friends on mine one year, but something came up (I think it was the year my mom passed away in mid-September). He told me that it was 5 hours on a bus to get there, drinking all day, and then 5 hours on a bus with drunk people throwing up all over the place on the way home. Kind of glad I missed it...