• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2016

View media item 11831
ERdM Choix Supreme naked, from a 50 cab bought the same year we bought the duck club, 1995. Never was a really great smoke (IMHO) and now it's mellow and about 50% better.
Never been a huge fan of the ERdM Choix Supreme and glad to see I'm not the only one. Now the Elegantes I've smoked were really nice on the other hand.

Last edited:
I believe you are mistaken as there wasn't a Cohiba LE in 2007. It's funny you say you don't buy based on hype, but the last two cigars you posted about smoking were very hyped about cigars at one point in time or another. Nothing wrong with what you enjoy but doesn't mean I will equally enjoy them or agree with you. I've smoked my fair share of Cohiba Red Dots, Graycliffs, Fuentes and though I used to enjoy them, as my palate continues to develop, I find I am reaching far more often for a CC than any other. Not to say that I don't on occasion chase down some hyped up limited release to see what all the hype is about but I normally tend to choose to spend my money where I know I will enjoy what I am paying for. I do enjoy a Cameroon wrapper on a cigar and for a while smoked them exclusively. Just my opinion and no offense intended.

There is a big difference between develop and change of preference. I would hardly say there is one palette better then the other. Or my palette got better because I enjoy stouts more now then last year when I was enjoying IPA's. Look at all the top rating cigars year after year on any platform. The NC's win time after time after time. Numbers do not lie. I stock up on cohiba red dots right now is there any hype? Every good cigar has had some sort of Hype behind them That is not why i stock up on them. I try a cigar if I like it I buy them in quantity. No offense taken.

I apologize I misspoke it was a 2006. That is how forgettable it was. What a big let down.

An even bigger let down

The only one out of like 20 that i enjoyed. Ill take my odds on NC's with that being said and shown.

Even though this cigar was very tasty. Look at the ash. The soils are so out of balance in Cuba. Another reason why I pass on CC's . Their soils are crap. I want my cigars to come from rich and clean soils. Soil chemistry is important.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between develop and change of preference. I would hardly say there is one palette better then the other. Or my palette got better because I enjoy stouts more now then last year when I was enjoying IPA's. Look at all the top rating cigars year after year on any platform. The NC's win time after time after time. Numbers do not lie. I stock up on cohiba red dots right now is there any hype? Every good cigar has had some sort of Hype behind them That is not why i stock up on them. I try a cigar if I like it I buy them in quantity. No offense taken.

I apologize I misspoke it was a 2006. That is how forgettable it was. What a big let down.

An even bigger let down

The only one out of like 20 that i enjoyed. Ill take my odds on NC's with that being said and shown.

Even though this cigar was very tasty. Look at the ash. The soils are so out of balance in Cuba. Another reason why I pass on CC's . Their soils are crap. I want my cigars to come from rich and clean soils. Soil chemistry is important.

If those are your 2006 LE Cohibas then that's the first problem as they are fake. In 2006 the Cohiba LE was a Piramides. The Esplendidos you posted a pic of could go either way, it's really hard to tell from that pic if it is authentic or not.

As for the soil not being rich and clean that's funny. The color of the ash has nothing to do with how clean the soil is and more to do with the abundance, lack of, or excess of certain elements. The white ash you think is so clean adds nothing to a cigar but is in fact a sign of an excess of Phosphorus and calcium in the soil. Yes science is important but Cuba is actually known to have some of the most fertile and nutrient rich soils to grow tobacco in.

And if you've only tried 20 or so Cubans and with at least some being fake I'm pretty sure you can't make an opinion on authentic CC's.

Last edited:
http://ctp.iccas.miami.edu/FACTS_Web/Cuba Facts Issue 26 November 2006.htm

I dont need the ash to know cuba is full of toxic pollution water and soils. Waters feed the soil so it is compounded. I was just stating a fact. Notice I said out of balance. That is what causes the mixed ash dark ash color. The color of a cigar's ash is dependent on one major factor: the nutrients in the soil. Regardless of where the tobacco is grown, or what type of tobacco it is, the major contributor to the color of the ash in a finished cigar will be the balance of nutrients in the soil where the tobacco was grown. If the plant cannot uptake Calcium and magnesium properly that means it is out of balance. The darker the ash just means the balance has shifted typically to potassium, while lacking the uptake of the other vital nutrients. Toxicity of soils plays a major role in uptake. Resulting in less yield the more toxic it is. As we can see that is exactly what has happened in Cuba.

The pollution and poor infrastructure in cubas water and soils are not up for debate. At least scientifically.

Regarding the 'fake' cubans. Another big reason why I do not risk my money on them. Good thing I have never paid for a cuban.

Last edited:
Saison by Oliva. Having read what Mr. perfecto said I must agree. I often wondered about ash, but the internet is loaded with why tobacco burns lighter or darker and nutriants is the answer. Found that some growing area of ISO are famous for being high in phosphorus closer to the north end of the island as I recall. But as Tom ( BBS ) would say, IMHO the choice is yours to make as long as you enjoy what you smoke.

Trust your source is key in being able to enjoy a top quality Cuban. As with NC's also. Some NC vendors don't really care what they mail out or keep in their shops, same can be said with Some CC vendors. Sometimes even NC's can produce, plugged cigars, less than stellar ash, and an inconsistent smoking experience. I know people say that's nearly impossible with the difference in quality control, however I've personally smoked more NC that have had issues than CC. Also on that let down thing, there's been a few times when I've lit up a super premium NC only to think, for what I paid, could have picked up almost a 5er of regular production CC robusto, corona or petit corona.

As has been stated time and time again, like what you smoke, smoke what you like.

I think that any region's cigars have to be smoked many times to really get any meaningful idea of the tobacco or the blenders. I can think of many cigars or pipe tobaccos that I didn't care for at all the first time, or even after several tries. Some of those are now my absolute favorites. Some just proved to be consistent gag inducers.

Tat TAA 2015 last night and a Neanderthal HoxD this morning....maximizing my parent's babysitting schedule before the law requires us to go be parents again.