• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tropical Fish, anyone have a fish tank?

Revising a thread:

The wife and I purchased an Aquapod 24 gallon Nano, a couple pounds of live rock and sand last weekend. Still waiting to get everything up and ready for some fish. These are great, easy to use setups that don't take up a lot of space. If you don't want to opt for their base you can pick up a prefabed cabinet base at Lowes, Home Depot or similar store for less and paint it whatever you want. So far it has been a nightly ritual with the kids to see if anything new has shown up on the rock. Pretty amazing what will pop up in a week.

No pics yet but hopefully I can start a cleaning crew weekend after next.

I am still trying to convince the father in-law to get back his big one and I will take it. If I remember correctly it was around a 50 to 70 gallon tank.

I ahve a 55 gallon & a 20 gallon in my home office.Both are fresh water.I have been thinking about getting a 125 & setting it up for saltwater.

Saltwater tank envy here................

have a 20 and 35 in the garage. set up the 100gal (fresh water - couldn't afford the saltwater) show tank with ciclids.

greta hobby

Paul

75 gallon freshwater but haven't had much luck.

I have had the tank for probably about 10 years now. First it housed Oscar African Cichlids. Had 3 of them for many years (red, albino, and tiger). They were pretty mild in temperment though and weren't all the fun to watch.

When all 3 of those died I went with an asortment of African Cichlids (electric yellow, peacock, kennyi, red zebra). After a few months I only have 2 left and they hide 99% of the time. They don't seem to eat either. I really should test my water but I am getting tired of my set-up. The bottom is pea-gravel with plastic plants and caves.

My filter is a Magnum 350 Deluxe (supposed to be awesome) that gives me nothing but troubles. My filter media gets clogged so fast that it will suck in the plastic mesh canister. I have bought 2 now because of this. It is also a PITA to change, takes long, messy, etc.

I do my water changes regularily but the water is never clear like the pictures you guys posted. I have never been able to get water like that, don't know why. A local shop will test water for free and I have done it a few times and they said it looked good.

Don't know what I am going to do at this point. I was thinking about getting something active (not hiding all the time) and pretty hardy. Something like a school of tinfoil barbs might be cool.

I also want to get a different filter that is easier/cheaper to take care of. I have heard bad and good things about under-gravel filters, opinions?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Edit...Forgot to mention, I have a 9" plec that has been with me this entire time. I love him, he is a trooper and is getting old. When I bought him he was probably about 1", now he's huge!

I have a 30 gallon fresh water filled with mostly live breading fish. My daughter 6 loves to see them get fat then see all the babies. Set it up for her about a year ago.

fishtank3-08002.jpg

Here is a tank shot from today. I'm not good with the camera and it's over 3 years old so not the greatest quality.

It's a 75gal mixed reef tank. Have the sump and all the mechanicals in the basement. No water changes in the living room everything is done in the basement.! I've had it little over a year and almost bought a 120gal today. I passed as couldn't justify the need vs want.

If anyone is wanting to get started I would be more than willing to give some frags to get them going. (also would trade frags for cigars!!)

Andy

fishtank3-08002.jpg

Here is a tank shot from today. I'm not good with the camera and it's over 3 years old so not the greatest quality.

It's a 75gal mixed reef tank. Have the sump and all the mechanicals in the basement. No water changes in the living room everything is done in the basement.! I've had it little over a year and almost bought a 120gal today. I passed as couldn't justify the need vs want.

If anyone is wanting to get started I would be more than willing to give some frags to get them going. (also would trade frags for cigars!!)

Andy

awesome tank! I'd be interested in some frags! pm sent

Man, everyones got some wicked tanks. I just restarted my 10 gal tank with some red earred sliders. Anyone else have turtles? I love them :)

That looks Awesome!

What kind of Calcium test kit are you using? The one I am currently using (Reef Master brand) is a real PIA.

fishtank3-08002.jpg

Andy

That looks Awesome!

What kind of Calcium test kit are you using? The one I am currently using (Reef Master brand) is a real PIA.

I'm currently just keeping up with regular 20gal water changes about every two weeks. I have about 100gal total water volume so things tend to stay pretty level. I do have a Kalkwasser running at night (homemade). For those wondering, it is basically canning lime (kalk) that keeps the PH from dropping at night. It's on a timer that runs for one minute every hour. It also helps with the evaporation.

I just switched to Reef Crystals from Instant Ocean. Seems to have helped with growth. More trace minerals. For anyone wanting to learn, or just see some amazing tanks, go to reefcentral.com. It has anything and everything you ever wanted to know about saltwater. They even have a chemistry forum!

Andy

Here's mine after about four months old... Just some random shots. Remember, I suck at taking photographs!!!

3-30-08007.jpg

3-9--006.jpg

3-27-153.jpg

3-27-051.jpg

2-27-08052.jpg

2-27-08051.jpg

2-27-08050.jpg

Man, I'm not sure if this, or cigars is a more expensive hobby!?!?
Either way, both are VERY enjoyable!!!