• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tupperdor Humidification

broblues

planning and plotting
I recently bought a fairly large (maybe holds 6 Boxes) Tupperware container to store my full boxes of cigars. I have a Xikar 250 count crystal Humidifier, I am using their Propylene Glycol solution and I have a Xikar digital Hygrometer (which has been salt tested and calibrated). When I placed the activated crystals in the Tupperdor, the RH% went up to 90% and stayed there. So I thought maybe I needed to put some cedar in it. Yesterday I made a cedar bottom to place in it. This morning, still 90%. I have taken my cigars out for now, but I have more coming in today. Have any of you run into this? Is the problem the plastic of the Tupperware box, or is there something else I am missing?

Although I have no experience with these crystals, xikars other accessories are top notch. Could it be that you put too much solution, leaving no crystals to absorb the extra humidity?

Although I have no experience with these crystals, xikars other accessories are top notch. Could it be that you put too much solution, leaving no crystals to absorb the extra humidity?
I actually removed it from the humidor, let a fan blow on it for about 7 hours to dry it out, and placed it back in. No change.

Tupperware containers will trap humidity a lot better than a wooden humidor will, as it's more airtight than a wooden box. Try some Boveda humidipaks if you can, I use them personally and they work very well, they provide a constant humidity, which relieves a lot of the stress of maintaining a constant relative humidity in your humidor. You could try some silica gel as well to try to trap some of the humidity in the container.

I am going to throw in a suggestion for Heartfelt beads. They are seemingly idiot proof, which makes them ideal for me. Nice two way humidification. Can't put too many of these bad boys in. They have kept my humi at 65-66% RH. David has excellent customer service and was more than happy to answer all my questions. www.heartfeltindustries.com These would really help with your excess RH.

If that doesn't look good, I'd second the Boveda packets.

I'm just wondering what's up with the crystals. They are promoted as maintaining a 70% RH. In one of the areas for Xikar, it was stated that using water only could result in the 90% RH reading, but that's just not the case here. I really want to use this product as I have spent the money already. If any other Xikar crystal users are out there, how about some help.

Thanks,
Steve

Good point about tupperware and how it is basically "non-porous" like a wood humidor would be. Air (and moisture) tight, to be sure.

You may find humidification devices designed for a wooden humidor may overhumidify in tupperware. As much as I love (and own) beads, if I ran a tupperware, I'd use Bovida packs.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

I have a jar of Xikar crystals. They didn't work well at all. The initial charge on the jar held humidity for a month in a 50ct humidor. I recharged the jar of crystals and the humidity became very unstable...up and down. I ended up replacing the crystals jar with the beads.

I think your best bet would be something that can act as a 2-way humidification unit like the beads or the Boveda packets. If you can get it to work let me know what you did different.

The drawback on crystals and gels are they give humidity, but don't like taking it back in. Re-charge them too much and all that extra humidity wants to go straight into the foot of the cigar, swelling them up like a trumpet. I would go with either beads or Boveda packs, they are great at absorbing extra humidity and stabilizing the internal of your tupperware.

When I used to run a cooler using beads, I didn't have to add water at all. The thing was so rock solid, the beads just ended up sucking up the humidity from the air when I opened the cooler to grab a smoke.

Do any of you BOTL's that use the Boveda packets use them in a tupperware or plastic container? I would hate to have the same issue due to the plastic.

Do any of you BOTL's that use the Boveda packets use them in a tupperware or plastic container? I would hate to have the same issue due to the plastic.

Before I got my current wood humi, I ran with a Tupperware product and used the Boveda packets (69%, if memory serves). It ran a little shy of the 69% once I introduced the sticks but ended up stabilizing out at 68%. No issues whatsoever, actually easier. In hindsight, I should have just upgraded the size or gone to a cooler instead of the wood humi. Ahhhh, the learning curve.

I use them in my travel humidors (hard plastic / air tight) all the time. They work great.

Good thoughts guys, I have two unanswered emails in to Xikar to get their opinion of why it isn't working. I'll give them a couple of days yet before I dump the Xikar humidifier idea. Darned shame. The other products I have from them are excellent! :(

I never use any humidification device in my Tupperware container. I have had sticks in it for the past 2 years with a hygrometer and very seldom open it since I use it for long term storage. I did pull the sticks out of my small cabinet where they were at 65% before they were put in the container. The hygrometer has read a solid 65% from day 1. When I do open it to remove a stick, I know what I am after beforehand, and don't leave it open but a few seconds. The container is airtight so there isn't anywhere for the humidity to go.

When using a Tupperware or other snap and seal container for a humi - are you removing sticks out of the plastic wrappers before placing them inside? Also, where is the hygrometer being placed and am I reading correctly that beads are NOT necessary?

By plastic wrappers, I'm going to assume you mean the cello. No, it's not necessary as they are porous and the cigar can still breathe inside of it.

The hygrometer can be anywhere, the inside space of a tupperware is so small it doesn't really matter. Right on top of your sticks is fine or if you want to be neat and tidy, you could double stick tape it to the lid or wall.

Regarding beads, they do help stabilie any extra humidity you are going to get when you introduce new sticks from a purchase into them. Once the beads are charged, depending on your outside humidity, they may or may not need to be re-charged with distilled water for quite a while. If you live in a very dry state, say Nevada, you may have to charge them more frequently.

When using a Tupperware or other snap and seal container for a humi - are you removing sticks out of the plastic wrappers before placing them inside? Also, where is the hygrometer being placed and am I reading correctly that beads are NOT necessary?

Leaving cellophane on a cigar is completely optional. I leave the cellophane on my cigars because I have different types of cigars in my humidor, and I wouldn't want the cigars to marry and have the taste potentially altered/ruined. If you all of your cigars are the same, or at least very similar (I think in terms of wrap and whatnot, I'm not too sure on this part) then you'd be fine taking the wrappers off, although I'd suggest just leaving them on to prevent any potential hassle. I have my hygrometer in the lid of my humidor personally.

Cello on / Cello off is the age old question, only one older is Chicken or egg......

If they come in cello they stay in cello, just dont care to hassle with taking it off, also it may or may not offer some protection from wrapper damage.

As long as you remove it some time before you light it, or shortly after, you will be fine.

Tim

Well, Xikar, although they responded to me twice, were really no help with my tupperdore problem. I did purchase Boveda packs and although the level went down into the 80%+ range, they also didn't stabilize at the 69% they promote. I guess maintaining a constant level is best when using JonDot's technique. Thanks for all the opinions. I guess the real answer for me is to get back out in the woodshop and build a bigger humi. :D (Oh damn, do I have to?)