• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tupperdor

countikon

I am new to the whole cigar game and my wife won't let me get a humidor because we are trying to save up some money. I figure I can do a tupperdor much cheaper than going out and buying one. What are ya'lls expiriences with them? Have you had some luck with them? Do they work well as a long term solution? I have done a little research on it and know that I will have to introduce air every week or so.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Countikon, welcome to the fold!

My first "humi" was a Tupperdor and it worked just fine. I just followed the steps used to make a cooler-dor and she held RH like a champ. If you dont have a humidifier you can also use Oasis foam as a cheap/easy solution. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

You're probably going to be more happy with a Coolidor for a long term solution. Nothing wrong with a tupperdor, but I look at those as more short term.

Coolidors are inexpensive, obviously larger, and lend themselves to easy humidification techniques using beads.

My advice is to drop the $30 on a larger more durable cooler and you'll be happy for years if need be.

You're probably going to be more happy with a Coolidor for a long term solution. Nothing wrong with a tupperdor, but I look at those as more short term.

Coolidors are inexpensive, obviously larger, and lend themselves to easy humidification techniques using beads.

My advice is to drop the $30 on a larger more durable cooler and you'll be happy for years if need be.

Got to agree with the coolidor, my first 9 worked perfect till I got a cabinet :D

IMHO a tupperdor works fine for traveling but I agree with the others a coolidor will serve you better over time. As we move into the winter I am sure you can find deal on cooler still around ;)

Oh and use the beads if you can!

Good Luck!

^^^^^^Now there's good advice! Cooler & beads, you're set till you need more room...which usually isn't long.

Wade

Agreed. You could easily do a decent size cooler-dor with beads for 50-60$. The great thing about beads is not having to worry about the RH so there is really no need for a hygrometer (unless of course you just have to see it to believe it). :p

Agreed. You could easily do a decent size cooler-dor with beads for 50-60$. The great thing about beads is not having to worry about the RH so there is really no need for a hygrometer (unless of course you just have to see it to believe it). :p

Haha, oops? Didn't mean to put that much emphasis on it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be going with beads for the coolerdor. I was worried I wouldn't have the space for one but now that I think about it, I have just the place. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

I just bought a display type humi off of ebay and transferred most all my smokes that were in my 48 qt coolerdor to the new unit. I didn't have any humidification in my cooler. I relied on the pinch test. I bought a digital hygro from wal-mart and put it in my empty cooler just for fun. After a night in there it read a perfect 72degrees and 70% humidity. And that's with a damp paper towell once a year!

Where'd you store your coolerdor? If stored in the basement, depending on where you live, a lot of times they can do quite well with little help.

Good stuff though.

Arturo Fuente humi bag, large one should hold about 20-30 smokes, andlast 6 or so months. Costs here is 14 bucks. Cheapest way to get started.

Arturo Fuente humi bag, large one should hold about 20-30 smokes, andlast 6 or so months. Costs here is 14 bucks. Cheapest way to get started.

I have 3 of these out here and can verify that they work as intended. Little to no protection, but keeps the humidity where it needs to be.