• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

UNHAPPY WITH GURKHA

Went to a Gurkha Cigar night at local lounge last night - It was a fun night with friends but I am VERY UNHAPPY with the Gurkha Rep. and cigars.

I Smoked a Gurkha Evil & it EXPLODED when I lit it, the wrapper just fell off then 3/4 through the cigar it just went out and I could not, for the life of me get it started again. When I complained to the Rep. the Rep. told me "the complaint department was closed".

The cigars were WAY OVER PRICED and the Rep. was a jerk.

Im not a rich person by any means so for $8.00 a stick he could have at least replaced the cigar with a new one but, to be a arrogant asshole was uncalled for.

I dont think I will be smoking any more Gurkha's until I can get this bad taste out of my mouth.
:angry:
Do you remember the rep's name by chance?

Add me to the long list that agree - over prices, shoddy construction, poor flavor profiles.

Had the opportunity to do reviews with CM and did find one that was okay - the Rare Breed robusto in maduro. Other than that I pitched most halfway through; just wasn't worth my time.

I just heard that Gurkha is making Litto take the swords off the boxes of his new La Flor Dominicana Air Bender line. I wish he would have made them a deal, he takes the swords off the boxes if they stop making cigars!

If I remember correctly, and I might not, Gurkha was a cigar boom brand that didn't have the good grace to disappear at the end of the boom.

Doc.

I did not get the reps. name but he was more interested in bragging about where Gurkha sends him and the fact that he made one of the brands himself. They his second interest was drinks they were serving and to cut in front of the food line to eat. I did contact the main office by email to complain and got now reply. I guess they think this is the way they deal with paying customers, who knows. :angry:

Still buy and smoke the Gurkha legends when I see them on sale. Haven't had a bad one yet.

And @ MarkQ any brand can have beetles. So far you've been lucky to have only seen one hole.

Billy, the owner of JSI, just got back from visiting Litto in the DR; he told me the news today. The funny thing is we had Pete Johnson in the shop on Wednesday of last week. Pete and I were talking about the Air Benders, as I was showing him the boxes the first thing he said was that Gurkha would definitely be giving Litto a call about the swords.

Still buy and smoke the Gurkha legends when I see them on sale. Haven't had a bad one yet.

And @ MarkQ any brand can have beetles. So far you've been lucky to have only seen one hole.
You're right, and that's why I segregate all incoming stock now - at least in the summer months.

I've heard the Lgends aren't bad and the Blue Steel does sound interesting. I guess I just can't bring myself to buy any more. It doesn't help that CI cranks up the propaganda every time a new blend comes out (about once a week?). I guess at this point I know what I like and don't like to take chances buying a lot of cigars from a brand that has a reputation of being hit or miss at best. If you like them smoke them. They can be found in the $2-3 range on Cigarbid which makes them relatively affordable.

I did not get the reps. name but he was more interested in bragging about where Gurkha sends him and the fact that he made one of the brands himself. They his second interest was drinks they were serving and to cut in front of the food line to eat. I did contact the main office by email to complain and got now reply. I guess they think this is the way they deal with paying customers, who knows. :angry:

I know who he is. It's a shame b/c I always liked him. He's always proven to be a good guy and was always willing to help retailers sell product from Gurkha and from the company he used to work for. He was my rep for that previous company. I didn't know he was working for Gurkha until I ran into him in New Orleans. Sorry to hear about that experience.

Wow! I cant believe how many folks jumped on the anti-Gurkha bandwagon. Apparently, Im in good company.

Joey, it's too bad you had such a bad experience with Gurkha. You've done the right thing by e-mailing them. When a rep behaves so rudely they definitely need to know about it. Keep us updated.
Funny thing is my local B&M loves Gurkha, he throws Gurkha parties a few times over the summer. He always has the latest "blend" they have come out with. Well about a month he gifted me two of the Triad's one natural and one maduro. The Natural did exactly what said the one you smoked did and from a stick that retails @ $50 that was uncalled for but to tell you the truth I expected it. I have had nothing but bad experiances with them except for maybe one or two. They are just not worth the price for any blend imho.... I have had better flavor profiles with my yard gars.
Let me guess...The Stogie in Rockville Centre?

You're right, and that's why I segregate all incoming stock now - at least in the summer months.

I've heard the Lgends aren't bad and the Blue Steel does sound interesting. I guess I just can't bring myself to buy any more. It doesn't help that CI cranks up the propaganda every time a new blend comes out (about once a week?). I guess at this point I know what I like and don't like to take chances buying a lot of cigars from a brand that has a reputation of being hit or miss at best. If you like them smoke them. They can be found in the $2-3 range on Cigarbid which makes them relatively affordable.

Like I said I only buy them when on sale and so far they are the only Gurkha I've found to be worth my time. I can also state that I don't actively go looking for them. IMO the coolest thing about Gurkha cigars are the band, and most of the time the tobacco inside wasn't worth the artist's effort.

As far as the OP's "The cigar exploded on me!" that sounded like a storage problem, did the rep bring the cigars with him or were they out of your B&M's humidor?

Is this your local hangout cigar shop? Or one you visited for the first time for the event?

Because if its your local B&M and you've never had problems, then the rep probably had them stored in the trunk of his car or something.

You might be right, I do know this rep. loved to talk about the box's.... :angry:

UPDATE TO MY FRIENDS AT CIGAR PRESS:

Letter from Gurkha -

Dear Joe,

Your e-mail was forwarded to me by our customer service department.
I am the office manager at Gurkha cigars. I have already
forwarded your e-mail to the owner and Vice President for their review and
one of them will be contacting you directly.

In the meantime, I would like to find out more information so we can contact
the sales representative that was in charge of the event. I can understand
your frustration and we want to make it up to you. Please provide me with
the store name, city and state where the event took place. Also, please
send me your full information. (full name, address and phone number).

I sincerely apologize for this unpleasant situation but I can assure you
that we will take the necessary steps to avoid this type of mistakes in the
future. Customers like you is what makes us successful so we want to make
sure that our cigars, as well as the service we provide are absolutely the
best.

Sincerely,

Hmm, shitty situation for sure. There is NO excuse for poor customer service like that.

Maybe the one guy was just an a-hole and they do want to make it up to you. We'll see how this ends. Atleast they're trying to maintain contact.

I'm in agreement with the others. I've only ever had 1 Gurkha that I like, and that's the Triple Ligero. I always wish I could see them again on Joe Cigar, but will never pay full price for them, nor will I pay ANYTHING for their other sticks.