• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Update from Thailand

coopsdeloops

Hey CP,
Just a note to let you know that I'm  still alive over here. It's been a long 5 months, but my first semester of teaching is finally over, and I already feel like I've lived a lifetime over here.

We settled into a comfortable 4 bedroom townhouse that a previous professor had lived in. We we got there he was taking care of a dog he found on the street that had been paralyzed from the waist down and needed special care, and he was trying to decide what to do with her. We quickly fell in love with her and decided to keep her for ourselves .Mali was my first dog, and I was thrilled to have such a wonderful pet. We watched her grow and loved her like our own daughter, but sadly we discovered she had a kidney defect, and after a month of treatment in and out of the vet's office, she passed last Friday. It was the hardest thing to do, putting my 6 month old puppy down, but by then there was no more hope of recovery and she was suffering. I'm still shedding a tear every so often over the memory of her.

I've had some great cigars over here, but most of the stuff is 3x the price that we would buy anywhere else. A PSD4 comes out to about $25, so my cigars are few and far between. The best one I've had since I came over was a Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2 En Tubo. I've had the epicure #2's before and thought they were a bit mild, but the en tubo seemed to make all of the difference, and it popped with flavor. I still think about the roasted almonds and marshmellow flavor it left on my tongue.

I've seen the joyous side of Thailand, and I've seen the dark side. Not all of Bangkok is like the Hangover, but if you know where to look, there certainly are places that a man can get himself in trouble with a girl, a boy, or something in between. I've gotten bored of the clubs and have taken to playing a lot of pool.

It's been shocking to lose some friends while I have been over here, most recently Soulpup. I felt really guilty I couldn't be at Randy's funeral as he was a really good friend and spent a lot of time with me teaching me the subtleties of scotch and CC's. I'm really gonna miss those guys.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I'm doing okay. My wife is currently in Korea getting her 6 month cancer checkup, and I'm here for another month living the Bachelor life. If anyone makes it over to my corner of the world, please drop me a note.

Mali Says "Hello!"

Mali rarely posed for the camera.

Mali just before we put her down. At this point she was a very sick puppy and couldn't lift her head.

Sitting at the restaurant at the music school, having a nice lunch on a typically warm day. Thai's love their Ketchup by the way.

A random baby elephant on the side of the road. The owners were selling cucumbers so people could feed it. I felt bad for this baby elephant, but I was grateful to meet it.

The woodwind faculty from Mahidol University: 3 Americans, 1 Latvian, 1 Polish, 1 Taiwanese, 1 Thai, 1 Japanese, and 1 Korean American.

Drinking is the official Mahidol University pasttime. Schneider Weiss and Paulaner are our favorites. Not a lot of American craft brew imports.

I playing on a faculty recital.

A screenshot of a broadcast of an orchestra concert.

Thank you for sharing, hopefully everything works out for the best.

I was in Bangkok years ago while I was in the service.  It was a beautiful city.  Bustling to say the least.  Enjoy your time there Coops.  Thanks for stopping in!

Coops thanks for checkin in and glad to hear your doing well over there. 

Thanks for the update and pics, very sorry to hear about the pup, definitely a sad thing to go through. 

Glad to hear things are going well... well, minus the pup. That's unfortunate. Glad about everything else, though. :)

Good to here from you Coop. Thanks for sharing the pictures and I am glad things are going well!

Nice pics Coop.  Mali sure was a cute pup.  I'm very sorry to hear you had to put her down, a very tough thing to do. 

Thanks for the pics.

Glad to here you are doing good and living well. Sorry to hear about your puppy!

Coop...thanks for the update.  I'm sorry to hear about Mali.  I think I'm coming to that point with one of our dogs as well.  It's rough.  Other than that, I'm happy to see that things are going well for you.  I have to say though that I'm disappointed to not see any cigar pics.  Wishing you all the best.  Take care and keep us posted.

Good to hear from you Coops! Sorry about the pup, but it looks like she was very much loved in her short time and that's the important part.
Stay in touch man.

No matter the age, it's so tough having to put down a family pet.  Sorry you had to go through that, so early in your time there.

How's the food?

Great to hear from you, Coops..!!  

So sorry about Mali....as a dog lover, I completely understand how fast they become family members.  What a cute little dog....

Enjoy the experience, be safe, and keep in touch..!!

Thanks for the update Coops. Sounds like your having fun.

COOOOOOOPPPPSSSSS!
Rock-n-Roll Oboe Forever!!

Thanks for the update- look forward to the next one!