• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Weirdest flavor hint you ever tasted in a puff

Matthew Adam

Thought this might be interesting.
I smoked a CAO Black (a couple years aged) yesterday that tasted very much like hints of steak early on, then like Kielbasa through the middle. It probably would have been great with a plate of rice, beans, and eggs on a hearty breakfat type of morning.
I've tasted hints of smoked fish here and there in a bunch of different cigars which surprisingly wasn't bad, and had a Partagas Black Churchill (not aged) that was like Peat Moss all the way through (which was not too good). A CC Partagas Petit Corona (a couple years aged) I had a couple days ago started off tasting like burning leaves for a couple puffs, which was strange but not awful.

But I would have to say that the weirdest hint I ever got so far (not a very large sample size I admit) was from an "original cuban" belicoso (fresh) on the CI site. I swear one puff tasted dead on like Marshmallows. Which was pretty weird, but awesome.

What is the weirdest flavors you've ever encountered in a cigar, good or bad? Mae sure to name the cigar as specifically as possible, because I'm potentially gonna be buying some, though not if it's the taste of aged granny panties : )..

Thought this might be interesting.
I smoked a CAO Black (a couple years aged) yesterday that tasted very much like hints of steak early on, then like Kielbasa through the middle. It probably would have been great with a plate of rice, beans, and eggs on a hearty breakfat type of morning.
I've tasted hints of smoked fish here and there in a bunch of different cigars which surprisingly wasn't bad, and had a Partagas Black Churchill (not aged) that was like Peat Moss all the way through (which was not too good). A CC Partagas Petit Corona (a couple years aged) I had a couple days ago started off tasting like burning leaves for a couple puffs, which was strange but not awful.

But I would have to say that the weirdest hint I ever got so far (not a very large sample size I admit) was from an "original cuban" belicoso (fresh) on the CI site. I swear one puff tasted dead on like Marshmallows. Which was pretty weird, but awesome.

What is the weirdest flavors you've ever encountered in a cigar, good or bad? Mae sure to name the cigar as specifically as possible, because I'm potentially gonna be buying some, though not if it's the taste of aged granny panties : )..

Interesting that a cigar would taste like burning leaves ??? :laugh:

Haha, I get it. Sounds ridiculous when you point it out :rolleyes: .

I mean literally like the burning piles of leaves I used to try to light on fire as a kid in fall. It's a very specific smell I remember. Any guy who used to mess around as a kid and lives in the northeast would likely know what I am talking about. Or anyone who lived on a farm in this general area.. Burning oak, etc. leaves from fall in this region.

I had a Monte Petite Edmundo that had a moment of tasting of coconut!

I had a Monte Petite Edmundo that had a moment of tasting of coconut!

Aged, not aged? Do you think it's a stage of the cigar, or just a random occurence? That would be nice, occuring naturally of course, and I want to try to recreate it if possible.

Which brings to mind Leon Jimenes Cafe Dominicana. These cigars are pretty awful, they smell exactly like Hawaiian Tropic dark tanning oil. Problem is, then they taste like it. I don't know how you make a cigar that advertises "succulent infusions of java and creme", then deliver tanning oil. I can never have a Jimenes again because of it.

Haha, I get it. Sounds ridiculous when you point it out :rolleyes: .

I mean literally like the burning piles of leaves I used to try to light on fire as a kid in fall. It's a very specific smell I remember. Any guy who used to mess around as a kid and lives in the northeast would likely know what I am talking about. Or anyone who lived on a farm in this general area.. Burning oak, etc. leaves from fall in this region.

No worries, just being a bit of a smartass. I haven't picked up on any really unique flavours. I have had a cigar or two that I would almost have described as sour or rancid. I didn't continue smoking those to see if the profile would have developed any further.

I can't wait until Doc sees this. He gets all kinds of funky flavors out of cigars. Just wait.

Haven't had any really weird flavors, other than bad. Good flavors include a Torano that tasted like roasted marshmallow and the original Tatuaje Noella Reserve that tasted like black cherries. Some folks probably get these flavors all the time, but I just taste tobacco. :)

-John

I can't wait until Doc sees this. He gets all kinds of funky flavors out of cigars. Just wait.

You mean like virgin thigh sweat? I could have sworn one of my Padron 2000, rolled by Bravilla or was it Dominique, had hints of it.

Doc.

Haven't had any really weird flavors, other than bad. Good flavors include a Torano that tasted like roasted marshmallow and the original Tatuaje Noella Reserve that tasted like black cherries. Some folks probably get these flavors all the time, but I just taste tobacco. :)

-John

I've found that if I'm just drifting off in my head while lighting up it's the same. I guess it depends whether my focus is on my mind, or the cigar. Without delving deeper, it's all tobacco. Larger picture stuff always stands out - strong vs. mild, wrapper flavor, etc. The hints are there underneath, but it definitely depends on the cigar.

One of the things I've really taken to with cigars is that you can really dig deeper and try to pick up things, but to do so requires an active search for it. The more actively you search, the more it develops. And I've found that food and the way you taste and cook relates very heavily as well, at least for me. Without a love for food, I would imagine it would make it tough to dig deep into cigar flavor. I have a love for food and cooking, so for me it's like a treasure hunt..

I literally stood in the street for like 2 minutes trying to figure out the marshmallow hint in the "original cuban". I must have looked like some sort of nutjob. For me it really takes time and effort to place a taste unless it hits me in the face. And many cigars are easy to slip right into, smoke and just enjoy the tobacco itself.

Had a Belinda that tasted like festering a$$ and/or dank. Had another cigar (can't remember which) that had a taste of something similar to cardamom or cumin. Most other cigars just have the usual aromas and tastes.

Occasionally, I'll get the same aftertaste from my 06' Mag 46s that I get when I drink carbonated water. It's very strange, but not a bad flavor at all.
And of course, the signature green-olive nuance from H. Upmanns.

I had a Padron 2000 maduro that was terrible. It tasted of cod the whole way through! The cigar was part of a sampler I bought from Thompson. That's the first and last time I ordered from them.

I can't remember what I was smoking the other night but I tasted what reminded me of Trix cereal for a couple of puffs....weirdest thing. I smoked so many cigars this past weekend that I can't remember what it was though.. :blush:

Occasionally, I'll get the same aftertaste from my 06' Mag 46s that I get when I drink carbonated water. It's very strange, but not a bad flavor at all.

It's really weird you say this.. Those "original cubans" are just like an egg cream all the way through, like a seltzery taste mixed with milk or creaminess. And a couple Nica Libres I've had before were really heavy tasting of green olives. I haven't had enough Upmanns yet to correlate it with them.
I forgot both of those when starting the thread.

Buzzed - wish you could remember the Trix cigar, I'd like to try that

Winston Churchill, the one Davidoff makes, taste like mushrooms to me. There's a slight hint of that flavor in most Davidoffs, but it's really strong in the WCs, almost like truffles. My first PAN 64 had a Thai lemongrass thing going for about 5 seconds in the middle that blew my mind. Don Lino Africa Kifaros always taste like hamburgers on the grill to me.

Those are the ones that really stand out.

~Boar

I had a cigar that tasted like hot wings but then I realized I was burping the wings I had earlier. :D and the Henny didn't help.. :laugh:

It's really weird you say this.. Those "original cubans" are just like an egg cream all the way through, like a seltzery taste mixed with milk or creaminess. And a couple Nica Libres I've had before were really heavy tasting of green olives. I haven't had enough Upmanns yet to correlate it with them.

These profiles are prevalent in the mag 46 and 50, but not so much the mag 48 EL. However, time will add some nuances, I'm sure.

Winston Churchill, the one Davidoff makes, taste like mushrooms to me. There's a slight hint of that flavor in most Davidoffs, but it's really strong in the WCs, almost like truffles. My first PAN 64 had a Thai lemongrass thing going for about 5 seconds in the middle that blew my mind. Don Lino Africa Kifaros always taste like hamburgers on the grill to me.

Those are the ones that really stand out.

~Boar

Between this and our shared appreciation of GOF, I think you must be looking over my shoulder when I'm writing stuff in my journal. FFS, man, get out of my head!! :laugh:

Wish I could remember....I do know that it was one of these,
858sg '02 or '10,
Diplo #2
WOAM
HDM EL 07
Hemi Sig SG

It may have been the '02 858sg...it was only for a few puffs but it totally reminded me of Trix.