• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What Digital Camera Do You Use?

Ginseng

Banned
Hi all,

Just curious what digital cameras people use. My wife and I are casual amateurs who shoot mainly family and vacation photos.

Wife's camera: Casio EX-Z600 6MP compact, 1GB SD card
My main camera: Nikon D40 6 MP dSLR, 18-55mm lens, SB-400 flash, 2 GB SD card
My cigar shooting camera: Canon A430 4MP compact, 1GB SD card

Wilkey

The wife has a Canon Digital Rebel 8.1MP(?) 1gb flash card. I have nothing.

I'm in the same boat, Wilkey. I bought my digital SLR and a couple of nice lenses back in 2005 to take pictures of our honeymoon in Hawaii. Now with Trey, we use both digital cameras all the time. But before Trey, I generally used my cameras for holidays with the family and vacations.

My setup:

Canon 20D 8.2 MP (2GB Lexar Professional CF card)
Canon Speedlite 550EX flash w/ an SBM diffuser

Cigar shooting lenses:
Canon EF 17~40mm f/4.0 "L" lens
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (for very close cigar shots)

My compact is a 3.2 MP Canon Powershot S230 (1GB Lexar CF card)

We just bought a Canon PowerShot S3 IS yesterday. This camera is replacing the ten year old 2 mega pixels camera we had.

The new camera looks like it will do it all, my problem is it has 12 buttons on it and comes with three camera manuals and a software manual. I happen to be the kind of guy who doesn't read manuals until I have screwed something up so bad I'm looking for the 800 help number.

After I figure out the camera my next step to figure out how to put pictures on CP.

Robby

We have a Canon digital Rebel. I love the quality (other than flash washout) but hate the size. I find it doesn't travel with us very often as a result.

For cigar photos, I pull out my old Sony Mavica, because it has a Macro feature, and I don't have to shrink the hell out of the pictures to get them uploaded.

Ouch, Robby.
I just haven't the patience to dive into the manuals either. But with the newer electronic gear, I've found that reading sometimes allows you to set many things so that you don't have to worry about them during typical shooting opportunities. For example, I was able to customize the D40's menus to show only those things I might need to change at a moment's notice. For example, flash compensation. Other things, like the language used for the menus, gets hidden so I don't have to wade through pages and pages of non-relevant menu items. The S3 is a nice camera and IS is soooo helpful.

Rob,
I've seen your setup and that is a nice rig! Cigar shooting lenses... :thumbs:! Those "L" class are nothing to sneeze at.

Wilkey

I bought a Nikon CoolPix 5400 a couple of years back, and really like it. I have a couple of Nikon FM 35mm bodies and a couple of lenses, but wanted to "start slowly" with a digital camera. It's a bit dated by today's standards, but it's a well made camera that feels good in the hands and has been a gem when it comes to taking pictures.

I may end up with a DSLR or I may not; this little guy really does a fantastic job of the kind of picture taking I do anymore.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Matt,
Do you twiddle the flash compensation to try and bring down the washout? Or are you using the built-in flash and thus limited to direct flash? I find that bounce flash using a shoe-mounted unit gives much more even exposures. I hear you about the size factor. Prior to our picking up the Casio (which is tiny!) our digital camera/video was a Sony DCR-PC120BT mini-DV cam and that was a chunk.

Tom,
Have you discovered the Nikonians Nikon camera users portal? It's helped me since I got the D40.

Wilkey

Matt,
Do you twiddle the flash compensation to try and bring down the washout? Or are you using the built-in flash and thus limited to direct flash? I find that bounce flash using a shoe-mounted unit gives much more even exposures. I hear you about the size factor. Prior to our picking up the Casio (which is tiny!) our digital camera/video was a Sony DCR-PC120BT mini-DV cam and that was a chunk.

Wilkey
Built in... See refrences to size.

For around the house, I should get a hot shoe unit, but with a 2 year old and an infant, the term "hold it right there" means nothing, and the point and shoot abilities of the built in outweigh the overflash.

I do get a kick out of my father-in-law complaining everytime he picks it up that he cant just look at the video screen, and every time I try and explain how a SLR works. The man's a genius, albeit a tourtured soul, socially inept genius, but this just continues to escape him.

I have 2 cameras...

Pentax Optio S4- compact for nights out in Vegas. Fits in an Altoids case.
Sony Cybershot F505- For times a larger camera is better.

Love them both.

I use a Sony DSCF-828 with a 4 gig compact flash card. The camera can also shoot DVD quality video.

McK

Its kinda a funny story, I bought a Canon 30D and an 18/55 lens for my now fiance for Christmas. I did this to hide the fact I had bought her a ring. I had a nicely framed picture of it in the camera though and when I gave it to her I said. "I've already taken some pictures, check it out." Pushing the button to display pictures she saw the ring and I dropped to one knee.

However now I use it for vacations, family and cigar pictures. I also have an older cybershot that I should leave in my car.

Frankly, the 30D is one of the better pieces of tech gear I have ever bought. The pictures come out wondeful and you don't need to be all that great with a camera.

Romance is not dead! Great idea Hosh!

I agree the 30D is very nice. My 20D is it's older (and slightly dumber) brother. :)

Started way back in 1977 with film camera's (Pentax K1000, Nikon 4004s, Nikon 6006, Nikon 8008s, Nikon F4s) then digital came along...I still own my Olympus C2100 Ultra Zoom 2.1mp with 10x zoom...then I grabbed an Olympus C5050z, C8080wz, C750UZ, then the big time
Olympus E1 DSLR with about 50 lbs of equipment, then decided I had enough of carrying that stuff around.
I have now a Canon SD450 pocket cam and I recently grabbed a Panasonic FZ50 10mp with 12x Leica zoom. Have a total of 5gb of SD cards as the canon and pani take the same memory type. So I have owned all types.
Rob

Rod K

I too have had many cameras over the years to date the pentex 1000 takes the best 35m photos I have ever seen plus it is quite durable.

as for the Dig. age I shot a nice cheap Rebel,50mm,18-200mm 1:3.5, 28-200 1.6:4.9,18-55mm.28 all wide angle.

Flash with arm and hot shoe is 420 EX speedlite.

Sponge of the coast of Grand cayman

IMG_9111.jpg

Niagara falls

IMG_3037.jpg

A few Hungry fish :whistling:

M0023697.jpg

Back