• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you look for in a humidor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to avoid people who are regular, contributing members of a$$hat sites like puff.com so I guess I've got nothing to tell ya.
That's pathtic. Build a bridge. How old are you, 12?

Yep - you're right. Puff is pathetic.

...and mostly occupied by 12 year olds. So by that you can tell CC wouldn't have anything to do with the place - he's a tad bit older than 12.

I know you've got a thriving business going and all - and maybe you don't have the time - but you should know that building a bridge between that place and here will be a Herculean task. If you want to give it a shot - let us know. I'd prefer not to be around while you're laying the foundation - it will get rather noisy... :whistling:

No offense, but how is he "trying to build a bridge"?... He just contributes to both forums under the same name. He said "build a bridge" as in "cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it."

The only reason it is a topic of discussion is because CoventryCat brought it up.

What could possibly be wrong with him posting on both sites?
Who are you??

In response to the original question, here is what I would look for in a desktop: old world charm, dark stained wood, nothing too glitzy, and I probably prefer a satin or flat finish to gloss. I would not buy less than a 100 ct, and a 200+ would be ideal.

Things I look for:
-good sorting capabilities that use space efficiently. No opinion as far as drawers vs. trays for your work. I know for a chinese unit i'd take the trays just because the humi will probably hold it's water better, but I'd assume you are turning out excellent work.
-probably no glass
-those wooden slats are much cooler than the holes drilled in trays
-something that would be cool: a space reserved for a humidifier like gel or a sack of beads, with the same idea of efficient use of space in mind

One thing I'd really like, is basically a humidor version of this oak toolchest I have. It is the classic kind that has the flip up top compartment, with one big door on the front that swings downward revealing a felt tray on one side (that can be used as a surface) and drawers.

Like this:

44-7245.jpg

Hopefully that helps. Not sure about cabinets, cuz I don't need one...yet.

This was one of the replies from the other site. I thought it was proper. Traditional, but proper. Respectful as well.

" When it comes to selecting a humidor the rule of thumb is Bigger is Better. Get something twice as big as you think you will ever need. Cigar smoking may start out as a passing interest until you realize one day that you have over 3000 cigars in your collection and you are looking forward to the next RTDA to see what new sticks come out. Rest assured if that ever happens you will be in good company my friend. As for selecting a humidor bigger is better and construction is key. Look for a humidor that appears to be well made. Inspect it for construction flaws. Lift it up. A good humidor will be deceptively heavy, even empty. Check the seal. Put a dollar bill inside and try to slide it out once the lid is closed. If you can slide it out then its probably not sealed very well. alternately you can place the humidor in a dark room and put a lit flashlight inside. If light is able to escape then so is humidity. Another way to determine if your humidor is sealed is to lift the lid slightly and then drop it. A properly sealing humidor will slowly close as the air is rushing to escape. An improperly sealing humidor will crash down and snap shut. You are searching for the former. Once you have all those things considered you can purchase with confidence. If you cannot view the humidor in person, contact a reputable humidor retailer such as Pro Humidors and they can assist you with your purchase."

In response to the original question, here is what I would look for in a desktop: old world charm, dark stained wood, nothing too glitzy, and I probably prefer a satin or flat finish to gloss. I would not buy less than a 100 ct, and a 200+ would be ideal.

Things I look for:
-good sorting capabilities that use space efficiently. No opinion as far as drawers vs. trays for your work. I know for a chinese unit i'd take the trays just because the humi will probably hold it's water better, but I'd assume you are turning out excellent work.
-probably no glass
-those wooden slats are much cooler than the holes drilled in trays
-something that would be cool: a space reserved for a humidifier like gel or a sack of beads, with the same idea of efficient use of space in mind

One thing I'd really like, is basically a humidor version of this oak toolchest I have. It is the classic kind that has the flip up top compartment, with one big door on the front that swings downward revealing a felt tray on one side (that can be used as a surface) and drawers.

Like this:

44-7245.jpg

Hopefully that helps. Not sure about cabinets, cuz I don't need one...yet.

Thanks. With a little Spanish Cedar and a good seal that design could be very doable. I was also thinking about messing with a briefcase humidor someday. Thanks for the positive contribution.

What is your issue? I asked a simple question so I can gather information to build better humidors for my fellow BOTL and some %^%^%%*&%$ starts in on this Puff crap. The only person trying to bring puff into the picture is you. This is the first time I ever typed the word Puff on this site. This is the only site I frequent that I've had confrontation. This one was totally uncalled for. I used to post often when it was CL but since the merger happened, I've probably posted less a dozen times. Have I ever attacked you as a person because of who you associate with? NO. I think you owe me an apology. This was very disrespectful and childish of you.

For the other fine members, thanks for the thoughtful and creative input. This has just been a crappy day. I'm in no mood for BS so I appologize to the rest of you for my rant.

Here is the point. In my opinion Caputo and Stoogie are not worthy of your trust and Puff is not worthy of contribution. We will have nothing to do with them and tend not to trust or have much to do with others who contribute there. You and a few others have a decision to make. To those newbs who think we're being rude and mean, try seeing what's going on before you start gnawing on your foot.

Let me ask you this. Do you value my contributions here? Have I always made positive, constructive posts here?

Let me ask you this. Do you value my contributions here? Have I always made positive, constructive posts here?

I enjoy your work. I encourage you to read the posts here about Puff, Caputo, and Daniel Lopez. If you still want to contribute on Puff after that, you should just stay there and not post here further.

Guys, please let's stop this before it goes too far.

Just a reminder, rules #9 & #10 - http://www.cigarpass.com/community/forum-rules/

And in all fairness, this is why some of the guys here are not too fond of Puff: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=49822

Obviously some of us are very passionate about CigarPass, and don't agree with what has gone on, or continues to go on at some of the other sites. I'm not going to bash any other site, I've already posted my stance on it before. Everyone is free to join and participate where they choose. I will make it clear that CP is significantly different than most other forums - we're in this for the brotherhood and camaraderie, not to make the owner rich...

I'm ending this post. I've contacted Rod to discuss this in private. I already know all the crap Jon C has done. He even once referred to his members as a form of rodent. As far as Puff goes, I post less than once a week over there. I mainly stay in contact with friends I had before he bought Cigar Live. By asking what someone would like to see in a humidor, I'm extracting information more so than contributing. The answers are a contribution though so I guess that is contributing in some respect. If you look at my post count there (which post count doesn't mean a damn thing to me) it's only a high number due to the transfer from CL. I was a member of CL for a few years before the transfer of ownership.

If anyone else wants to put forth ideas I'd appreceiate it, but as far as any more discussion about Puff goes, I'm done.

Sorry Rod, you and I were writing at the same time. Thanks for the positive ideas everyone. I can assure I don't frequent there enough to make a difference.

I think I saw someone developing a humidor with dual humidity zones, this would be handy in a cabinet, with a decent amount of room.

Having reread rule #10, let me rephrase. Your reputation is everything. It is based on a number of factors and is completely subjective. It varies from member to member, but if you're held in high regard by the older members, that tends to carry.

Read the thread Rod posted. If you still chose contribute to that other forum, by all means do so. I will not regard you very well.

Thanks for your input, I have an idea like that. I was thinking about making the side walls so there was about a 3 inch gap up the center of the cedar walls behind the drawer slides and making it a sort of duct. At the level of each drawer there would be a type of blast gate that could be slid open or closed to regulate RH flow. I'd like to build the humidification system into a subfloor so it doesn't take up space inside and could be serviced w/o opening the humidor. Then drive the ducts with fans. I don't think it would be to difficult to do. Maybe a few hours. The duct would also allow for wood movement as well. :thumbs:

My Chinese and Spanish made humidors do a good job. No need to invest a fortune in a wooden box IMHO.

My Chinese and Spanish made humidors do a good job. No need to invest a fortune in a wooden box IMHO.

Knuckle dragging cheapskate.

To that, I'm not in the market for high end storage either. I know of two who are, though. For them, $1K is couch change.

Honestly, I have a 500ct Chinese one myself. It does a fine job. It'll get me by until I build my cabinet. Nice part about a custom humi is,`you get the features you want, you get heirloom quality and you will never see another one like it anywhere so you'll never hear "I have one just like that" It will always make for an enjoyable conversation too. I have no written plans or diagrams. I just build what I feel or what is requested. Plus I've done some form of woodwork for around 25+ years so it's easy to just build. As far as price goes, mine are pretty reasonable compaired to what I've seen, 1/2 the time I traded for cigars anyway. :thumbs: I also like that I get the honor of saying Made in America. It's all good. Some like Ford some like Dodge, some like Chevrolet etc. No one makes you choose. (So far anyway)

.....And in all fairness, this is why some of the guys here are not too fond of Puff: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=49822

Obviously some of us are very passionate about CigarPass, and don't agree with what has gone on, or continues to go on at some of the other sites. I'm not going to bash any other site, I've already posted my stance on it before. Everyone is free to join and participate where they choose. I will make it clear that CP is significantly different than most other forums - we're in this for the brotherhood and camaraderie, not to make the owner rich...

DANG!!!... :0 thats some serious history, and thanks for share'n that bit-O-info Rod, it explains alot to me, and makes me happy I have NO cigar site history, it all began right here... :cool:

Thanks for the insight, 'splains alot!!!

Trust me, that's not even 1/2 the chit that hit the fan. The members at CL started their own site due to some of the stuff said.

I tend to avoid people who are regular, contributing members of a$hat sites like puff.com so I guess I've got nothing to tell ya.
That's pathtic. Build a bridge. How old are you, 12?

Yep - you're right. Puff is pathetic.

...and mostly occupied by 12 year olds. So by that you can tell CC wouldn't have anything to do with the place - he's a tad bit older than 12.

I know you've got a thriving business going and all - and maybe you don't have the time - but you should know that building a bridge between that place and here will be a Herculean task. If you want to give it a shot - let us know. I'd prefer not to be around while you're laying the foundation - it will get rather noisy... :whistling:

What is your issue? I asked a simple question so I can gather information to build better humidors for my fellow BOTL and some %^%^%%*&%$ starts in on this Puff crap. The only person trying to bring puff into the picture is you. This is the first time I ever typed the word Puff on this site. This is the only site I frequent that I've had confrontation. This one was totally uncalled for. I used to post often when it was CL but since the merger happened, I've probably posted less a dozen times. Have I ever attacked you as a person because of who you associate with? NO. I think you owe me an apology. This was very disrespectful and childish of you.

For the other fine members, thanks for the thoughtful and creative input. This has just been a crappy day. I'm in no mood for BS so I appologize to the rest of you for my rant.

"Contributing" is certainly subjective. As is the opinion "disrespectful" and "childish". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.