• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What I've learned over the past four years...

Eshaw99

Just livin' the dream
Hi everyone, my name's Eric. I've lurked over at CW and also over here for a while and there seem to be fewer snobs over here, so I figured this was a better board to become a part of. I'm a very avid cigar smoker, and I work at the Tinder Box in Chattanooga, TN so I'm around them every day. I consider myself to be pretty knowlegable about cigars, but I'm sure there's a lot I can learn here.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone! :cool:

Eric

This was me four years ago today. Since that day, I've had two kids, started a new career, and moved my family 500 miles away from where I was raised. One of the few constants for me (apart from close friends and family) during these hectic years has been CP. That's the great thing about an internet community. No matter where people are, or where they go, we all meet back up at the same place. I've been thinking over the past few days about what I've learned, and how I've grown as a cigar smoker and a member of this community since that day. Here's what I've come up with so far:

- You get what you give. Good or bad, it always seems to come back double.
- You never know as much as you think you do about anything. To think that you've learned everything is proof that you haven't.
- I've been a cigar smoker for 11 years, and a member of this community for four. Yet, there are many times when I still feel like a newb.
- There are some truly great BOTLs here that are rarely heard from. Actions are remembered far longer than words.
- It's possible to become a cigar "snob" without becoming a cigar "dick", and it's very important to learn the difference.
- If you haven't attended a herf with other CP members, you're cheating yourself.
- You can never underestimate the kindness and generosity of complete strangers.
- Respect is hard to get, but easy to get rid of.
- Regardless of your income level, or level of cigar experience, you have something to offer to the community. Figure that out before trying to determine what you have to gain.
- Yes, you can become good friends with someone you've never physically stood next to. You can also mourn their loss.
- The fact that this place is so vigorously defended is a testament to its integrity.
- A true "community" must first and foremost concern itself with the well-being of its members. It's leader must do the same. Thanks, Rod.

Isn't it funny how basic life lessons are re-enforced on an cigar forum? That's probably the #1 thing I've taken away from my CP experience (that, and a newfound love of scotch). When I first joined here, I never imagined that I'd feel as connected as I do to a group of people who I only know through the internet. CP has become a second family for me, and one that I'm glad to be a part of. Since my boys were born, I don't get to smoke nearly as often as I used to. I don't know if cigars are what keep me coming to CP, or if CP keeps me coming back to cigars. Hell, I don't really care. I still enjoy them every chance I get, even if those chances are a little few and far between these days (it's weird, but a full humidor is kind of a depressing sight sometimes).

Here's to four more years :cool:

Congratulations on the anniversary.
Thank you for the post and hope to use it as my cp cliffnotes. :D

Very in-depth Anniversary post. Happy Anniversary sir, and thank you for the life lesson. :thumbs:

Congrats on the anni Eric, you are the kind of member that keep me coming back every day.

Very nice.

I especially like....

- It's possible to become a cigar "snob" without becoming a cigar "dick", and it's very important to learn the difference.

Thanks for sharing.

:cool:

Congrats on the Anny Eric, and being the concerned brother from Indiana, I hate to see you depressed. Addy's in profile. :whistling:

Congrats on the anniversary Eric. You've managed to put into words the thoughts I've only had running through my head about this place, well done!! :thumbs:

On a side note, outside of a couple of Gary's avatars yours is my favorite. Everytime I see that goofy look on your face I smile. Thanks for that.

Congrats on the anny and slainte to you and CP!

Maybe I should look into trying some Scotch this weekend.

Congrats on the anniversary!

Congratulations on your anniversary Eric, hope you have many more. :thumbs:

Thanks Eric. Great words to live by. I am still new to CP, but I look forward to learning from members like you who see it for what it is. A family... Congrats on four years, two boys and a good life. :D

Here's hoping the next four are even better!