• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What music are you listening to currently?

61GIVeKXgbL.jpg
618G9YHM87L.jpg

Jockeying around on the Chesky Records YouTube Channel. Typically superb sonics, talented musicians, and sometimes a really compelling artist. They've also been doing a Binaural series, which if you have some headphones, you might enjoy exploring.

trouble-truth-hilary-thavis-gaia-groove-cd-cover-art.jpg

Hilary Travis and Gaia Groove: Trouble and Truth.
First heard her on Prairie Home Companion. She's an incredibly small woman with a hell of a voice. This is her only CD.

Doc

For those that want more Blues, want to jump in with both feet into the Blues, want to expand your Blues collection or for whatever other reason you may have I can recommend this set. 52 CDs for about $1.25 each. A bit overwhelming at first but I played some over about 6 months and eventually got through it all. Some I liked and some I didn't but the like outweighed the not liked by far. With the exchange rate at about $1.33 to a Pound and shipping only 3-5 Pounds this is really a good deal at the moment. Easily $20 less than I paid 6-7 years ago.

Take a look.

I got reminded of this Album this a.m. Realized I hadn't listened to it in probably 20 years. Fixed.

upload_2016-9-12_8-31-49.png

First Folk/Country Blues album I ever bought. I think.
R-2755805-1299617641.jpeg.jpg

Unfortunately, he had passed away by the time I bought this in '67. I was never able to see him live. By all accounts, he was a sweet, gentle man. He had fingers the size of a boxer's and yet he could fret his guitar like few others.

Doc

R-3132225-1427019957-6999.jpeg.jpg

This is not a Folk album. As the story goes the record company thought that they could capitalize on the Folk boom that was going on at the time.
It is, however, one of the finest, if not the finest recorded Blues albums. Every Blues lover should own this record. It's Muddy Waters at the peak of his powers

Doc

It's Muddy Waters at the peak of his powers
That is a truly great Album. I don't have the Vinyl, but the MoFi CD is pretty epic in both music and sound quality. Definitely a must have. I keep it in my "Car travel" case which is also, predominantly, my desert island music.

eta: FWIW, I have the classic CD in my Amazon wish list. like 8 bucks while the MFSL goes for stupid money. I've read some buzz that the non MFSL is better.

Last edited:
R-5412462-1392721086-7935.jpeg.jpg

Re-issue. Considered his best album. It was released in 1972. He died Jan. 1, 1997. One of America's great song writers; known for his sad songs. He lived a tragic life. Struggled with alcohol and drug addictions. Lived in shacks, often with no water. You can look him up if you have a mind to. He's the fella who wrote "Poncho and Lefty".

Doc

Last edited:
If you are looking for some serious blues-rock in the tradition of SRV then you need to hear this group. Live At Pachyderm Studio and Things We Do are must haves.
51Mds5so-6L.jpg

413C1RCP90L.jpg

In honor of her birthday, which was yesterday. This is her first solo effort. Her hit song "Midnight on the Oasis", put her on the map. Not my favorite, however. That would be " Vaudeville Man". Original issue.

Doc

Richard+Thompson+Hand+Of+Kindness+363006.jpg

The founder of Fairport Convention's second solo effort. Original 1983 issue on Hannibal Records.

Doc

Reactions: AVB
Been letting my son pick music tonight. He's going through the Beatle Box set.
A couple got instant replays, Hey Jude, and Come Together.

Klaus Schulze – Cyborg 1973, his 2nd album, German 2nd pressing on Brain Records. One of the early members of Tangerine Dream before he went solo, Klaus has put out 60 albums over almost 50 years of recording. A founder of the Berlin School of electronic music he is probably the best known electronic ambient artist in the world. The CD reissue has 50 more minutes of music than the original double album that you see here. There was also a 4 channel version put out in France only on Clementine Disques in 1973 that I have spent 40 years looking for. (Edit - for the amount I'm willing to pay)
cyborg_klaus_schulze_album.jpg

Last edited:
Back