• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

Let's do something more recent - 2007.

The Greatest Show I Never Saw

In the early summer of 2007 there was a big announcement of a major concert to be held late in the year. Ticket's were only available by lottery so I, like probably hundreds of thousands of fans, sent in my email address and promptly forgot about it. ....Until I got the notice saying I'd won. Now tickets weren't cheap at about $240 each and then there was plane fare, hotel room and food etc etc. About $2k for two and a half days I figured.

So the time comes to get ready, our plane leaves in 36 hours
and the wife gets sick, Full on look like hell and feel even worse flu. She says go but as much as I wanted too that part about "in sickness and in health" wouldn't allow it.

So I jump on ebay and put the whole package up for auction, Nothing happens for hours and then I finally get a bid, At least I won't lose everything I think. A few more bids show up. I'm still in the hole but not as bad as it was. Ebay doesn't have 24 hour auctions so I was running this as an "or best offer" which gave time the time to end it with the best offer at the end of the time period and gave the winner 12 hours to get all the ticket, hotel, and flight info and get me paid.

With about 10 minutes left the is a flurry of activity and a dozen bids come in, Time runs out and I'm up $1100 over what I paid. The only real complaint I had was that I wasn't the one seeing the Led Zeppelin reunion at the O2 Arena in London.

In the early summer of 2007 there was a big announcement of a major concert to be held late in the year. Ticket's were only available by lottery so I, like probably hundreds of thousands of fans, sent in my email address and promptly forgot about it. ....Until I got the notice saying I'd won. Now tickets weren't cheap at about $240 each and then there was plane fare, hotel room and food etc etc. About $2k for two and a half days I figured.

and the wife gets sick, Full on look like hell and feel even worse flu. She says go but as much as I wanted too that part about "in sickness and in health" wouldn't allow it.

So I jump on ebay and put the whole package up for auction, Nothing happens for hours and then I finally get a bid, At least I won't lose everything I think. A few more bids show up. I'm still in the hole but not as bad as it was. Ebay doesn't have 24 hour auctions so I was running this as an "or best offer" which gave time the time to end it with the best offer at the end of the time period and gave the winner 12 hours to get all the ticket, hotel, and flight info and get me paid.

With about 10 minutes left the is a flurry of activity and a dozen bids come in, Time runs out and I'm up $1100 over what I paid. The only real complaint I had was that I wasn't the one seeing the Led Zeppelin reunion at the O2 Arena in London.
This is a "fish that got away" story that can never be topped. I don't care who you are, who you almost saw... it will never top having to miss out on the Celebration Day concert in 2007. I will (probably) never mention having to miss Notre Dame/Navy in Ireland last year because we all got COVID again.

This is a "fish that got away" story that can never be topped. I don't care who you are, who you almost saw... it will never top having to miss out on the Celebration Day concert in 2007. I will (probably) never mention having to miss Notre Dame/Navy in Ireland last year because we all got COVID again.
I've seen them before and I've been lucky in a lot of other ways so I got over it. Now if I had never seen them and missed out - well that would be different.

That is about as rough as it gets....

So, I met my wife during the boom of country music in the early 90’s. Literally, all I had listened to at that point was rock’n’roll. Zepplin, Floyd, AC/DC, etc.. She listened to country. A lot. I didn’t even know who that Garth guy was. So one day she says”let’s go dancin’ tonight”. I said “I don’t even know the music, and I definitely don’t know how to dance“! She said “I’ll teach you, and I’ll make it worth your while when we get back home”. So off we went. After stepping all over her feet for several hours, we left and she held up her end of the deal. Well hell I thought, dancing equals sex! So I said “hey, we should take dance lessons “! We did. Let me tell you gentlemen, I got to where if you could name it, I could dance it. 2-step, triple step, waltz, swing, Cotton Eyed Joe, and even every line dance. And my plan was working. Even the neighborhood rabbits were quite jealous!

So I say all of that to say this…At the local honky-tonk, every Thursday was all the beer you could drink for 5 bucks. I could drink, dance, and screw all in the same night! We went every Thursday. The name of the place was “Guitars & Cadillacs”.

And that my friends is the story of how Dwight Yoakam is the only artist I’ve seen live as many times as I’ve seen Uncle Ted live! And the wife & I have been together for 34 years and married for 29!