• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

War was an odd group. Created by Eric Burdon ex of the Animals and the producer of songs like "I Want Candy" and "Hang on Sloopy" They put out 2 albums before Eric collapsed on stage and Quit the group during recovery in 71. The 2nd album "Black Mans Burdon" wasn't bad.
I don't know music history like you Ray, but I like the horns in this one. ;-)
Thanks for passing along interesting knowledge.

You said you liked the trivia so I hope you meant it.

Fastway ended up being mostly a session player band even though they didn't start that way. One of the two founding members never recorded a song before he left. The group was founded by Fast Eddie Clarke from Motörhead and Peter Way from UFO, However Peter was under contract to another label who refused to allow him to record under Fastway's label so he left to join Ozzy and the first of a long line of session musicians was brought in. Fast Eddie continued to put out Fastway records until 2011.

You said you liked the trivia so I hope you meant it.

Fastway ended up being mostly a session player band even though they didn't start that way. One of the two founding members never recorded a song before he left. The group was founded by Fast Eddie Clarke from Motörhead and Peter Way from UFO, However Peter was under contract to another label who refused to allow him to record under Fastway's label so he left to join Ozzy and the first of a long line of session musicians was brought in. Fast Eddie continued to put out Fastway records until 2011.
Dave King from Fastway went on to form my favorite band, Flogging Molly, in 1997:

My father was a very far right political conservitive but very liberal in his opinions on child rearing. While I wasn't quite the feral child you read about there were times it was close. August 6th 1970 was one of those times. We were living in Philly but my Dad still had his job in 30 Rock so he took the train into the city every day. Way back in the beginning of the year the "Featival for Peace" concert was announced and I and my buddy Jerry (the same guy I saw Jimi with) decided to go. Tickets weren't going on sale for months so we had time to plan. First we had to get there, then we had to have a room, money for 3-4 meals and the tickets.. We figured we needed $7.50 for the tickets, $10 round trip for the train, $6 for the room and $5 for food with a couple of bucks extra so $30 each should do it. Now $30 in 1970 is the same as about $240 today according to my inflation calculator. But for that you got near 2 dozen acts over 14 hours of show.

Now the hard part was convincing our parents to let us go. My Dad was a detail guy, he liked to see a plan on paper with set goal along the way moving to accomplish that plan. So the deal was I had to show I saved $8 every month for four months to show I could pay for everything prior to the tickets going on sale. Jerry worked out a different deal that was about the same. The only problem we had was with the hotel room but Jerry's father ended up putting it on his credit card and we just payed him. For some reason the Queens hotel didn't want to make a reservation to two 14 year old boys over the phone.

So the day arrives and we get on the 5:45 AM train to NYC with my Dad. He made us promise to call him when we got to the hotel no matter what time it was. So off we go to check in and make the 10 AM start of the show. This was an all ages all genera concert where Paul Simon might be followed by Ten Wheel Drive. Now I certainly didn't remember the names of all the acts so I had to look up this list. Not in any order.

Creedence Clearwater Revival was the headliner and closed the show.
Steppenwolf,
The James Gang,
Poco,
Sha Na Na,
Pacific Gas and Electric,
Ten Wheel Drive,
The Rascals,
Paul Simon,
Al Kooper,
Richie Havens,
John Sebastian,
Johnny Winter with Rick Derringer,
Herbie Hancock,
Miles Davis and
Janis Joplin.

Certainly a historic show that has the least Media available. There is no film or audio record that has survived that I know of and I think this was Janis' 3rd to last concert since she died less than 2 months later. So no video to post just an incredible memory with my best friend

If you didn't catch it August 6th 1970 was the 25th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima.

Last edited:
My father was a very far right political conservitive but very liberal in his opinions on child rearing. While I wasn't quite the feral child you read about there were times it was close. August 6th 1970 was one of those times. We were living in Philly but my Dad still had his job in 30 Rock so he took the train into the city every day. Way back in the beginning of the year the "Featival for Peace" concert was announced and I and my buddy Jerry (the same guy I saw Jimi with) decided to go. Tickets weren't going on sale for months so we had time to plan. First we had to get there, then we had to have a room, money for 3-4 meals and the tickets.. We figured we needed $7.50 for the tickets, $10 round trip for the train, $6 for the room and $5 for food with a couple of bucks extra so $30 each should do it. Now $30 in 1970 is the same as about $240 today according to my inflation calculator. But for that you got near 2 dozen acts over 14 hours of show.

Now the hard part was convincing our parents to let us go. My Dad was a detail guy, he liked to see a plan on paper with set goal along the way moving to accomplish that plan. So the deal was I had to show I saved $8 every month for four months to show I could pay for everything prior to the tickets going on sale. Jerry worked out a different deal that was about the same. The only problem we had was with the hotel room but Jerry's father ended up putting it on his credit card and we just payed him. For some reason the Queens hotel didn't want to make a reservation to two 14 year old boys over the phone.

So the day arrives and we get on the 5:45 AM train to NYC with my Dad. He made us promise to call him when we got to the hotel no matter what time it was. So off we go to check in and make the 10 AM start of the show. This was an all ages all genera concert where Paul Simon might be followed by Ten Wheel Drive. Now I certainly didn't remember the names of all the acts so I had to look up this list. Not in any order.

Creedence Clearwater Revival was the headliner and closed the show.
Steppenwolf,
The James Gang,
Poco,
Sha Na Na,
Pacific Gas and Electric,
Ten Wheel Drive,
The Rascals,
Paul Simon,
Al Kooper,
Richie Havens,
John Sebastian,
Johnny Winter with Rick Derringer,
Herbie Hancock,
Miles Davis and
Janis Joplin.

Certainly a historic show that has the least Media available. There is no film or audio record that has survived that I know of and I think this was Janis' 3rd to last concert since she died less than 2 months later. So no video to post just an incredible memory with my best friend

If you didn't catch it August 5th 1970 was the 25th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima.

Memories are made in moments that cannot be bought, only experienced.

You've certainly had a lifetime of memories Ray!

It's not that I dislike the vast sea of people in a group, I dislike them individually.

“Me & Bobby McGee”, originally written by Kris Kristofferson, was first recorded by Roger Miller. Over the years, around 50 different artists recorded it, from Kenny Rogers, Gordon Lightfoot, and Bill Haley, to Joan Baez, the Grateful Dead, and Pink. However,I fully believe that none of us would have ever heard of it if it hadn’t been cut by Janis.

“Me & Bobby McGee”, originally written by Kris Kristofferson, was first recorded by Roger Miller. Over the years, around 50 different artists recorded it, from Kenny Rogers, Gordon Lightfoot, and Bill Haley, to Joan Baez, the Grateful Dead, and Pink. However,I fully believe that none of us would have ever heard of it if it hadn’t been cut by Janis.

And since it's 2 4 Tuesday!!!