• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

More Barry Mcguire trivia. He pretty much got the Mamas and Papas their record deal with Dunhill Records, In return John Phillips let him have first shot as the lead vocals for California Dreaming. It was horrid but you can listen for yousef below. His version does include thr original harmonica bridge before it was replaced with a flute. Phillips hated it so much he erased Barry's vocals and secretly had Denny Dourghty redo them never telling Barry who found out when the song hit the radio. Interestingly, both versions included the same mistakes from the published music.
"Got down on my knees and I pretend to pray" instead of "began to pray" and "The preacher likes the cold, knows I'm gonna stay." Which should be "The preacher lights the coals..."
Do you think Barry's version would have been the classic hit we know today?

The original

As released

Last edited:
It is July 8th 1970 and on tour with Cactus and Blodwyn Pig promoting only their 2nd album and already headlining the Spectrum in Philly, Jethro Tull rolls into town. Now I'm sure you've heard of them but who are these other two bands? Cactus came about after the breakup on the Vanilla Fudge and their music was nothing like the name would suggest and pretty forgettable although Carmine Appice and Tim Bogart would later play with Jeff Beck. Blodwyn Pig had a horn player who could play 2 horns at the same time. Sadly it didn't make their music twice as good and that is all I remember about them.

Tull on the other hand was fire. With only 2 albums to draw material from (This Was their first and Stand Up the second ) they started off a bit slow with 5 minutes of tuning up before launching into Nothing is Easy. You really have to realize how unique they were at the time. Progressive horn bands just weren't the same. It was like - MY GOD if a guy with a flute can rock out maybe I can too! I couldn't but it did give us no talent guys hope. This was one of my favorite Spectrum shows.

Well a few of you know already that I used to write a little back in the day, even had a group for a short moment with a couple buddies of mine. Also helped my daughter get going into music, before life struck but I digress. Well, I started writing again a few months back and it's been great therapy for me... So anyways, I wrote this song on my last trip to Ft. Lauderdale. Been experimenting a little with videos as well, just another artistic way to release stress for me...

ETA: It is TFT so here is another I wrote recently... Anyone that has ever dealt with depression or has known someone who has, will get it...

Last edited:
TFT

This was probably my second favorite venue while lived in Nashville…

This was filmed on Opposite Day, so everyone is playing left handed…

ZZ Top Dance Mixes

Who ever thought they would ever hear those words in a sentence? But it is true, none other than "Jellybean" Benitez remixed 6 of their songs for the club market. Of course the Japanese gathered them all together in one album called ZZ Top Club released in Japan an Australia in 1987. Mine is from Japan. An interesting bit of history but not really my thing. The whole album is below.