• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

Going back to Cheech & Chongs Basketball Jones from Saturday. I've known George Harrison had played on it for 50 years but I didn't know was why and who else was on it. This ranks as the most unlikely super group you can think of. You'll recognize a lot of names and the ones you don't are near the top of their on their instruments. From the wiki.

Musicians who appeared on the record included George Harrison,[2] Billy Preston, Tom Scott, Klaus Voormann and Carole King (so the record became the highest-peaking single on which she appeared during 1973). The Blossoms and Michelle Phillips (from The Mamas & the Papas) performed vocals as cheerleaders on the track.

Some notes on the recording of the track, taken from the booklet accompanying Where There's Smoke There's Cheech & Chong, read:

Cheech sings, and Tommy plays piano—that's all it was at first. In Cheech's words, "George Harrison and those guys were in the next studio recording, and so Lou [Adler] just ran over there and played [it for him]. They made up the track right on the spot." "That was a wild session," Lou Adler recalls. "I probably called Carole [King] and told her to come down, but with Harrison and [Klaus] Voorman—I didn't call and say come in and play. Everyone happened to be in the A&M studios at that particular time, doing different projects. It was spilling out of the studio into the corridors."

Personnel

Cheech Marin – Tyrone Shoelaces (voice)
George Harrison – electric guitar
Klaus Voormann – bass guitar
Jim Karstein – drums
Jim Keltner – percussion
Carole King – electric piano
Nicky Hopkins – piano
Tom Scott – saxophone
Billy Preston – organ

Cheerleaders (backing vocalists)

Darlene Love
Fanita James
Jean King
Michelle Phillips
Ronnie Spector

Horny Guys (brass players)

George Bohanon
Dick "Slyde" Hyde
Paul Hubison

Who'da thought, you learn something new everyday.

Going back to Cheech & Chongs Basketball Jones from Saturday. I've known George Harrison had played on it for 50 years but I didn't know was why and who else was on it. This ranks as the most unlikely super group you can think of. You'll recognize a lot of names and the ones you don't are near the top of their on their instruments. From the wiki.

Musicians who appeared on the record included George Harrison,[2] Billy Preston, Tom Scott, Klaus Voormann and Carole King (so the record became the highest-peaking single on which she appeared during 1973). The Blossoms and Michelle Phillips (from The Mamas & the Papas) performed vocals as cheerleaders on the track.

Some notes on the recording of the track, taken from the booklet accompanying Where There's Smoke There's Cheech & Chong, read:

Cheech sings, and Tommy plays piano—that's all it was at first. In Cheech's words, "George Harrison and those guys were in the next studio recording, and so Lou [Adler] just ran over there and played [it for him]. They made up the track right on the spot." "That was a wild session," Lou Adler recalls. "I probably called Carole [King] and told her to come down, but with Harrison and [Klaus] Voorman—I didn't call and say come in and play. Everyone happened to be in the A&M studios at that particular time, doing different projects. It was spilling out of the studio into the corridors."

Personnel

Cheech Marin – Tyrone Shoelaces (voice)
George Harrison – electric guitar
Klaus Voormann – bass guitar
Jim Karstein – drums
Jim Keltner – percussion
Carole King – electric piano
Nicky Hopkins – piano
Tom Scott – saxophone
Billy Preston – organ

Cheerleaders (backing vocalists)

Darlene Love
Fanita James
Jean King
Michelle Phillips
Ronnie Spector

Horny Guys (brass players)

George Bohanon
Dick "Slyde" Hyde
Paul Hubison

Who'da thought, you learn something new everyday.
That's a hell of a lineup

Don't know if we're still doing MMM, but I've got one. This is a cover of Jason Isbell's "Cover Me Up". A little story behind this particular performance: We played this bar regularly (at least once a month) for several years. There was a young guy named Cody who worked the door there on the weekends. About a month and a half before this video was shot, Cody was tragically killed. He was only 23 years old. This particular night, his mother was at the bar. She was friends with a lot of the staff, and had been spending more time there just to stay around people during an incredibly difficult time. We had just finished playing our last song of the night and Cody's mom walked up to the stage and asked if we knew "Cover Me Up". This bar did karaoke on Wednesday nights, and she said Cody used to always sing that song at karaoke night. I asked the guys if they knew it. They're pros so they gave me the standard "we can probably get through it" answer that they gave to nearly any request we ever got. This song would become a staple in our set, but this was the first time we had ever performed it - and with zero rehearsal to boot. You'll notice that I keep looking over at our lead guitarist who was singing harmony so that we could try to match up our phrasing as best we could. I'm sure there are videos floating around of us doing this song a lot better, but this has always been my favorite performance of it we ever did. From that night, we never played a show at that bar that Cody's mom didn't come to, and we always made sure to play this one for her.

Don't know if we're still doing MMM, but I've got one. This is a cover of Jason Isbell's "Cover Me Up". A little story behind this particular performance: We played this bar regularly (at least once a month) for several years. There was a young guy named Cody who worked the door there on the weekends. About a month and a half before this video was shot, Cody was tragically killed. He was only 23 years old. This particular night, his mother was at the bar. She was friends with a lot of the staff, and had been spending more time there just to stay around people during an incredibly difficult time. We had just finished playing our last song of the night and Cody's mom walked up to the stage and asked if we knew "Cover Me Up". This bar did karaoke on Wednesday nights, and she said Cody used to always sing that song at karaoke night. I asked the guys if they knew it. They're pros so they gave me the standard "we can probably get through it" answer that they gave to nearly any request we ever got. This song would become a staple in our set, but this was the first time we had ever performed it - and with zero rehearsal to boot. You'll notice that I keep looking over at our lead guitarist who was singing harmony so that we could try to match up our phrasing as best we could. I'm sure there are videos floating around of us doing this song a lot better, but this has always been my favorite performance of it we ever did. From that night, we never played a show at that bar that Cody's mom didn't come to, and we always made sure to play this one for her.

Something you may or may not know…the lyric “til Percy Priest breaks open wide” is referring to Percy Priest Lake very close Nashville.

Percy Priest Lake is owned and operated by the Army Corps of Engineers. The lake spans 42 miles and over 14,000 acres. It includes four State Parks and campgrounds. I fished that lake many times in the 15 years that we lived in (suburbish) Nashville.

Now you know a vital fact of completely useless information! 😁🤣😎

Something you may or may not know…the lyric “til Percy Priest breaks open wide” is referring to Percy Priest Lake very close Nashville.

Percy Priest Lake is owned and operated by the Army Corps of Engineers. The lake spans 42 miles and over 14,000 acres. It includes four State Parks and campgrounds. I fished that lake many times in the 15 years that we lived in (suburbish) Nashville.

Now you know a vital fact of completely useless information! 😁🤣😎
I’m familiar with Percy Priest Dam. I lived in Chattanooga for 25 years and got up to Nashville anytime I could. Now I’m 11 hours away…

The band is actually "The Delaware Destroyers" since they were formed in Wilmington, DE in '74

I thought they dropped “Delaware” when they moved to Boston. But I’m usually wrong…

I thought they dropped “Delaware” when they moved to Boston. But I’m usually wrong…
They stopped using Delaware in the printed name when the first album came out in '77. However George still was introducing them as the Delaware Destroyers well into the 90's. I can't say after that because I haven't seem them since then.