• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some dunhill early morning pipe,

But also bought:
Peterson Sherlock Holmes
Davidoff Red Mixture
Devils Holiday
DaVinci

Had a quick bowl of Frog Morton this evening in my Boswell Mini Churchwarden. What a great pipe for a quick (30 minute or so) smoke.

Had a quick bowl of Frog Morton this evening in my Boswell Mini Churchwarden. What a great pipe for a quick (30 minute or so) smoke.

is it an "in between the acts" pipe?
I'm not sure I know what that means...

It's the first one listed in the link below. There's no quarter so it may be hard to tell the size :laugh:, but the picture on my 17" screen is almost exactly the same size as the pipe itself.

It's pretty small. I'll try to get some other pictures sometime and put them up.

LOL.

Well, a little history lesson so you may know what i'm talking about when i refer to "in between the acts"

During plays put on by acting companies back in the elizabethan/ renaissance era, the men would smoke a small, yet full bowl of tobacco "between the acts" of the play in a pipe easily carried in the pocket because it was so tiny. However, a common characteristic on these "old english" style pipes of course, was the church warden.

So when you said, mini church warden good for a 30ish minute smoke, that's immediately what came to mind.

There's no quarter so it may be hard to tell the size

:sign:

LOL.

Well, a little history lesson so you may know what i'm talking about when i refer to "in between the acts"

During plays put on by acting companies back in the elizabethan/ renaissance era, the men would smoke a small, yet full bowl of tobacco "between the acts" of the play in a pipe easily carried in the pocket because it was so tiny. However, a common characteristic on these "old english" style pipes of course, was the church warden.

So when you said, mini church warden good for a 30ish minute smoke, that's immediately what came to mind.

There's no quarter so it may be hard to tell the size

:sign:
That's interesting information. Any time someone talks about "acts" anymore I ask for a clarification if I"m unclear at all. One can never be too careful... :whistling:

:)

Today it will be Boswell's Northwoods in my newest pipe, a Brebbia quarter bent bulldog.

A fine sunny Saturday morning in my study with a bowl of Spilman Mixture in a vintage GBD Calabash accompanied by Starbuck's Italian Roast in a Maltese Falcon mug while reading George Santayana. Next up: SL in a Boswell Egg. :D

Just finished a nice looong bowl of Westminster after a day at the in-laws.

I still can't decide if I like Westminster or Maltese Falcon better. They're both just great English blends.

They both have a healthy dose of latakia. I find that the flavors in Westminster really kind of "take turns" and make things interesting, especially the virginias. There are times while smoking Westminster that the sweetness of the virginias is very pronounced and times when the latakia is really straightforward.

Maltese Falcon seems much more balanced to me. The flavors are all there, but they seem to work together much better. The virginias do not seem as sweet in Maltese Falcon as they do in Westminster and the latakia does not seem to be as dominant in Maltese Falcon at any time.

I guess I would say that to my tastes Maltese Falcon really has a unique flavor that is truly greater than the sum of its parts while Westminster has a lot of flavor, but they don't seem to come together as something greater than just what they are. Westminster can also bite your tongue pretty good if you get too zealous with it. I've not had that problem with Maltese Falcon.

Hope that helps. The blends are very similar, but the differences are there and definitely great enough to make both VERY good.

Yesterday, McCelland Matured Virginia No. 27 in the very first GBD I bought (over 35 years ago).

SG Black XX Rope - I've grown to like this but it's potent stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.