• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, CH does have a light casing. It is not overpowering and makes a great smoke for the drive home or for when I go out to the point and watch the ice flows over the inlet.

I have yet to try the stuff in a tub, have only bought pouches. Not sure if I could smoke a tub worth before it dried out. Guess I could jar it up and go that route.

A miracle did happen this evening though. I actually found a place that sells CH in the pouches. Some of the Safeway stores up here have a little tobacco shop attached to them. They all have a slightly different inventory and I found some CH in one that I have not visited for a couple years. It is expensive with the taxes, but at least I have a source for it for when I am running low and have not ordered more online.

Between the Va/Per blends I like and CH I am pretty happy with what I smoke these days.

Yep, CH does have a light casing. It is not overpowering and makes a great smoke for the drive home or for when I go out to the point and watch the ice flows over the inlet.

I have yet to try the stuff in a tub, have only bought pouches. Not sure if I could smoke a tub worth before it dried out. Guess I could jar it up and go that route.

A miracle did happen this evening though. I actually found a place that sells CH in the pouches. Some of the Safeway stores up here have a little tobacco shop attached to them. They all have a slightly different inventory and I found some CH in one that I have not visited for a couple years. It is expensive with the taxes, but at least I have a source for it for when I am running low and have not ordered more online.

Between the Va/Per blends I like and CH I am pretty happy with what I smoke these days.

The tubs seal VERY well. Plus, it does have some PG in it. It would take a long time for it to dry out in the tub.

What's the casing or flavoring in CH? It tastes like burley to me. It's a little sweeter than the straight blending burley I have smoked (which is actually quite bitter), but I have always attributed that to the different types of burley tobacco used in the blends. Kind of like how PA, Half&Half, and CH all taste different but are basically the same.

Cornell & Diehl "Red Carpet". This VAPER is closely related to Sunday Picnic although Red Carpet uses Red Virginias and SP uses Golden. The Perique and Turkish Izmir in both are similar although I find Red Carpet to be a bit better. It seems to be slightly less sweet, slightly more sour, and has a somewhat fuller body to it. I think the Perique is more pronounced in Red Carpet as well. Either way, they are both wonderful.

- Tim

Cornell & Diehl "Red Carpet". This VAPER is closely related to Sunday Picnic although Red Carpet uses Red Virginias and SP uses Golden. The Perique and Turkish Izmir in both are similar although I find Red Carpet to be a bit better. It seems to be slightly less sweet, slightly more sour, and has a somewhat fuller body to it. I think the Perique is more pronounced in Red Carpet as well. Either way, they are both wonderful.

- Tim
OK, now, just STOP! I can't take ....

the pressure ....

so many great C&D blends ....

AAHHH!

:)

So I just smoked a plain old bowl of McC #22 in my plain old DiMonte Gigante.

C&D blends are consistently yummy, though. I even like the cheaper bulk stuff like 126 Old Joe Krantz and 969 Virginia Gentleman. Or Cornell & Diehl Bulk TURKISH IZMIR

And a freshly popped tin of Exhausted Rooster is sumpin!

- Tim
OK, now, just STOP! I can't take ....

the pressure ....

so many great C&D blends ....

AAHHH!

:)

So I just smoked a plain old bowl of McC #22 in my plain old DiMonte Gigante.

C&D blends are consistently yummy, though. I even like the cheaper bulk stuff like 126 Old Joe Krantz and 969 Virginia Gentleman. Or Cornell & Diehl Bulk TURKISH IZMIR

And a freshly popped tin of Exhausted Rooster is sumpin!

I like Old Joe Krantz a lot as well and you're right - the bulk pricing makes it even more enticing.

- Tim

The tubs seal VERY well. Plus, it does have some PG in it. It would take a long time for it to dry out in the tub.

What's the casing or flavoring in CH? It tastes like burley to me. It's a little sweeter than the straight blending burley I have smoked (which is actually quite bitter), but I have always attributed that to the different types of burley tobacco used in the blends. Kind of like how PA, Half&Half, and CH all taste different but are basically the same.

I would have to say it is a slight anise type casing. That is the smell I am getting when I put my nose to it. I have heard others describe it as stewed fruit or prunes. It is very light for sure. I may be wrong and the aroma could be a result of how they process the tobacco, but it sure has a distinct aroma to me.

Good news! I actually found it at Cumberland Farms last night! I decided to check there after Ernies suggestion. They only had pouches but I figured I could get enough of a sense of the tobacco from that and it was only $2. I like the pouch aroma! I plan on giving it a go tonight...

Thanks for everyones help!

Having a bowl of Butternut Burley mixed with about 20% Carter Hall...absolutely delicious. I really think I've found my calling from pipe tobaccos with Burley blends. There is just something about the richness and the smooth taste that I love. I've been reaching for my English blends less and less and more for my burley and Va's. Maybe it's a seasonal thing. Time will tell but I'm going to spend the winter searching out the best burleys. Any favorites people have that I should give a go?

I'm a big burley fan now, too. But tonight I indulged in a bowl of Pease Cairo in the new Sav Mr G.

Great bowl!

Having a bowl of Butternut Burley mixed with about 20% Carter Hall...absolutely delicious. I really think I've found my calling from pipe tobaccos with Burley blends. There is just something about the richness and the smooth taste that I love. I've been reaching for my English blends less and less and more for my burley and Va's. Maybe it's a seasonal thing. Time will tell but I'm going to spend the winter searching out the best burleys. Any favorites people have that I should give a go?

If you have a tolerance for vitamin N, Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz is a good one. Boswell's Premium Burley is pretty good (and really smooth).

For something kind of interesting, Junkyard Dog and Morley's Best (both by C&D) are good choices.

Started off with a little Five Brothers. Then a little Bat Masterson that I was blown up with by SOMEONE here. I have been rubbing and drying some SGFVF for a while now and about to set it on fire.
I can't work up the nerve to try the SG Christmas Mixture 2007 that I bought. I have heard much good about it.

Byron in Owensboro, KY

Boswell Apple Strudel in my miniature meerschaum. I can get hints of apple on the palate but not as good as real apple strudel :rolleyes:

I just smoked some Diamond Joe in my Pete Rock of Cashel. It was in the bunch of samples that mysteriously arrived in the mail.

Byron in Owensboro who is gonna be sore tomorrow. I went to the gym and did chest and triceps for the first time in many years. Exerbiked for 30min too.

Vermont Maple in a Viprati bent bulldog. The maple flavor is present thru the whole bowl.

I received my Stanwell Danish Reserve estate pipe today and put it through the paces.

Started with McC Yenice Agonya and noticed better draw than either the Sav or DiMonte. Made for an interesting bowl. I then packed it with McC #22 and was able to sip it gently to the end with a nice even burn. Interesting! The better draw allowed me to tamp it a bit tighter and the burn was about perfect with only minor bite. I could easily keep it going with the merest sips. :)

Tomorrow I'll try some Peretti Cuban Mixture that I usually don't tamp at all and see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.