• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my Stanwell Danish Reserve estate pipe today and put it through the paces.

I just bought one as well. I cleaned it and have yet to use it. I did the everclear/salt treatment and found large amounts of red stain in the area where the stem goes in. That or the guy loved cherry tobacco ???

I tried the Stanwell out on the Peretti Park Square today and it handled the rough-cut well. It didn't do as well with flake as my other two pipes, though. The draw was too good, I think.

I also smoked a bowl of St James Flake in the DiMonte. Just about finished this first tin and I think I like the 2015 better. It's cheaper, too! ;)

Pipeworks and Wilke No. 13. A milder/medium English with burley, VA, Latakia, perique, and an slightly aromatic Cavendish that provides a gentle creamy base for the blend to build upon. The Latakia is there in a supporting role and the perique is all but hidden. Pretty tasty and no bite at all.

Carter Hall right now. Then I may have some Five Brothers before going to work to post invoices in piece and quiet, (we are closed on Sundays).
I'm gonna lay out some SG FVF to dry for when I get home.

Byron

Yenice Agonya in the DiMonte for the Giants first half

Anny Kake in the Stanwell for the second. I've found the secret to Anny Kake is to get it real dry. I keep an ounce in a plastic tub with a less-than-tight fitting lid. Seems to do the trick this time of year. It still leaves a bit of dottle but not much and the flavor is worth it.

McClelland Grand Orientals Yenice Agonya(hereafter known as McC GOYA) in the Stanwell Danish Reserve. Smokes very well in this bowl!

Cracked a fresh tin of Exhausted Rooster last night. This tin odor is the most pleasingly potent I've had the pleasure of snuffling. :)

Christmas Cookie in my Meerschaum and then Key Largo in my new to me estate Stanwell. Both during the chat room tribute to Infinity tonight.

Chocolate Cream from Boswells in my Brigham Algonquin....I'm presently surprised on how much it does taste like chocolate.

Esoterica Tobacciana's "Stonehaven" in a big Boswell sitter. Mmm, mmm, good.

Esoterica Tobacciana's "Stonehaven" in a big Boswell sitter. Mmm, mmm, good.
That's a blend that's been on my "to try" list, which gets longer instead of shorter. :)

5YO St James Woods in the Stanwell - this baccy benefits quite a bit from thorough drying.

Christmas Cheer '08 last night in my Boswell.

Tin Aroma: Typical McClelland ketchup/vinegar smell, but really rich and smokey.

Appearance: Broken pressed flake, dark brown with hints of lighter tobacco pressed between the darker flakes.

Moisture: Out of the tin it was too moist, but I laid a pipeful on a paper towel for about 2 hours and it was perfect (our apartment is very dry due to the New England winter weather and having the heat on).

Packing: I cut the flake into cubes and gravity filled the bowl about 3/4 of the way then rubbed out some flakes and packed on top to light.

Lighting/Smoking: Lit fine, went out a few times but always re-lit with no issue. Tobacco was a nice rich VA blend, with a nice sweetness left on the palate. I tried to smoke it as slow as possible, as I could feel a bit of bite when puffed harder. A lot of subtle characteristics (mostly different sweet /spicy notes) with this but I think I am going to give this a week or so since opening and see if it changes. This blend should age very well, and I have another tin that I will leave unopened for a few years at least.

Room note was hard to gauge, but my girlfriend, who was on the couch next to me, said it did not bother her at all, and wasn't bad.

Definitely recommended if you are a VA fan.

Christmas Cheer '08 last night in my Boswell.

Tin Aroma: Typical McClelland ketchup/vinegar smell, but really rich and smokey.

Appearance: Broken pressed flake, dark brown with hints of lighter tobacco pressed between the darker flakes.

Moisture: Out of the tin it was too moist, but I laid a pipeful on a paper towel for about 2 hours and it was perfect (our apartment is very dry due to the New England winter weather and having the heat on).

Packing: I cut the flake into cubes and gravity filled the bowl about 3/4 of the way then rubbed out some flakes and packed on top to light.

Lighting/Smoking: Lit fine, went out a few times but always re-lit with no issue. Tobacco was a nice rich VA blend, with a nice sweetness left on the palate. I tried to smoke it as slow as possible, as I could feel a bit of bite when puffed harder. A lot of subtle characteristics (mostly different sweet /spicy notes) with this but I think I am going to give this a week or so since opening and see if it changes. This blend should age very well, and I have another tin that I will leave unopened for a few years at least.

Room note was hard to gauge, but my girlfriend, who was on the couch next to me, said it did not bother her at all, and wasn't bad.

Definitely recommended if you are a VA fan.
nice review

Butternut Burley & Carter Hall (roughly mixed 3 to 1 respectively) in a cob.

Soon becoming my favorite go-to blend. The room note is AMAZING and the smoke is cool and sweet.

If you have both of these, try it out in a cob. You won't be upset.

Last night a fat bowl of Brebbia- Latakia Flake No.9. Man I love that stuff. :love:

For an appetizer I'm having Prince Albert Choice in my Peterson Rosslare 80s. I think I'll try some Penzance for the main course. For dessert I may go with Blue Note or perhaps I'll be brave and try SG Christmas Mixture 20007.

Bon Appeitit!
Byron

Status
Not open for further replies.