• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When did you start smoking?

My first cigar was a Trinidad in 1999. I was 15 at the time and to my best knowledge it was a different wrapper than today's Trinidads. My friend's brother was in college and he would bring 5-10 cigars every few months when he came home. To this day I remember sitting in his garage smoking with him. That was the day I knew what cigar smoking was about. The taste, aroma, and experience(just the free relaxed no care feeling) from that one cigar was the best I've ever had.

I started smoking cigars towards the end of my college years, probably around 1998 or so, but then I met the girl who is now my wife, and back then I still actually cared about what she thought of me so I quit. I have decided to re-enter the hobby in the last few months. Now, she still doesn't like, but I'm past the point that I care. :rolleyes:

I had my firt cigar at the ripe old age of 7 but didn't start to smoke regularly until I was 12 or 13 and have been smoking ever since and I still love it.

My first cigar smoke, or smoke ever for that matter, was when I was working on a play when I was 16. A few of us learned (along with the actor who needed to smoke a cigar on stage) how to smoke cigars with a Swisher Sweet. Then, during the party after the completion of that play, a few of us passed around a Cuban a father of a cast member who was half-Cuban gave us. I've been smoking cigar ever since, but very lightly so. That's why I still don't know too much about cigars, hah.

Never smoked cigarettes. Chewed every once in a while from 20 years old to present (rarely). Started cigars about 2.5 years ago, quickly became bit. I am 23 now.

I just had my first smoke about two and a half months ago, at the tender age of 18. Never smoked cigarettes or anything. I'm a tour guide at a cave in the San Antonio area, and after one of my tours a guy tipped me with a cigar. I just thought the idea was cool, and after I actually smoked it, I was hooked. And here I am, a few short months later, thinking about getting a nice new cooler. :laugh:

I would say when I was about 28 or so. But my wife then (ex wife now) had or would have issues if she found out. So I was regulated to smoking in bowling alleys or other unsightly places lol...not the way to really enjoy a cigar imo.

But I am remarried and she is ok with whatever I want to do as long as it makes me happy. And I am the same with her. Will she ever smoke a cigar? Likely not. But she won't give ME shit about it either..and that is awesome.

I couldn't even own a humidor back then. When I picked the little one up the other night and bought it home, I was messing with it and got a little scratch on it or something and she was yelling at me for scratching it lol. And she bought me my first cuban while on our honeymoon. I so love my wife. :) hehe

When I was 15 I started smoking cigarettes that I bought at a now out of business crappy cigar shop. They got me trying out cigars after I became a regular there :D

I smoked my Granddad's made-in-bond Bering Plazas when I was eleven, in 1958.
They were green...and so was I. :laugh:

I was 16 and in Mexico on vacation. Found a nice cigar shop and smoked a Cohiba. I'm now 22.

18 years old on vacation after i graduated highschool, a buddy of mine and I wandered over to the cigar shop down the street from where we were staying & decided to treat our self to a celebratory cigar. Been hooked ever since. I don't smoke often like most people on here, but enough to absolutely love it & not want to stop :D

I had smoked random cigars, mostly machine made, since college... only on occasions, few times a year. About a year ago (at age 30) I was at a BBQ for my friend's birthday and I bought a pack of Garcia y Vegas from 7-11 to smoke with some friends and the birthday boy. So we're smoking our pure garbage... and his dad comes out of the house with some sort of Fuente and joins us. He snips it with his Xikar double blade, toasts it up with a sliver of cedar and proceedes to enjoy his premium cigar... standing with his son, his son's closest friends, a backyard full of good people, good food, and sunshine. I looked at my stick of air-garbage from 7-11... and felt nothing but shame!

That weekend I went out and bought 3-4 sticks from a local B&M on a whim and shared them with some friends at a wedding a couple weeks later. Ever since then I was sold and realized if you're going to smoke something, at least make it worth while!

I smoked my first cigar in Cayo Coco, Cuba, when I was 15. I was on vacations with my mom and she bought me a box of Montecristo no 4. Since then, I always keep a box of those at home, they are my favorite smokes.

As soon as I turned 18 I bought my first pipe. I had been waiting because most of the people I looked up to in my life were pipe smokers and it gave me a special connection to them even if they were gone. Went to college and hit the cigars. I'm 31 now and 99% a pipe smoker but that's something I'm looking to change and that's why I'm here.

Jim

Jun 2003. I was in Korea when a friend found out he made MSgt. Across the street from our hotel was a place called Smoke n Darts (left side of store - cigar shop, right side all dedicated to steel tip darts, which is big in some Korean bars (esp where foreigners go). He showed up in the lobby with a handfull of celebratory stogies and we sat in a second floor bar with some Soju, Monte #2s and BSed while peoplewatching.

I smoked another 1 or 2 with him that month back in Japan, next thing I know he gifted me a 25 count Humi - and it was full! Most of it was aged 2-8 yrs too. That kicked me off.... found CP almost a year later (after mistakenly trying things like Acids on my trip home <grimace>) and been growing, learning and expanding ever since.

Rich is in England now and we still do trades now and again, in fact I'm preparing a box for him now....

-K-

Guess I was about 16. It was long time ago, though. Fortunately, soon after, I got job at Tinder Box and that helped on the costs for a while!

Age 16. It was the opening day of trout season and it was a Backwoods.

1964 - I was 8 and it was an El Producto.

I threw up but was back at it the next day! :D