• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine Fridge?

I ended up getting the Haier 42 bottle on Ebay. I look forward to receiving it. Thanks to all those that provided information.

I ended up getting the Haier 42 bottle on Ebay. I look forward to receiving it. Thanks to all those that provided information.

Keep us posted on it.

Also, I was curious, do you typically chill your reds prior to drinking them now (before the wine fridge)?

I will gladly keep you guys up to date...if the thing ever shows up. When the seller said he ships within 10 days, he is going to take the whole ten days to ship.

Nice Ashh, if you are asking if I pull a bottle of red from the room temp cabinet where I keep them and place it in the fridge to chill it before I drink, then no. I want this fridge for long term storage. When pulling from the wine fridge they will be in the high 50s, which will honestly be lower than I will like them to be. I drink them closer to 70* just because that is where I keep my house. I hope that answers what your question.

Whites, on the other hand hit the fridge for about 2-2.5hrs before I am going to open them. That gets them about where they are supposed to be served. Longer than that and they will be too cold to enjoy properly.

If anyone has another take on any of this please share. I am still some what new to wine, just a few years, and am always looking for other opinions, ideas or info.

I will gladly keep you guys up to date...if the thing ever shows up. When the seller said he ships within 10 days, he is going to take the whole ten days to ship.

Nice Ashh, if you are asking if I pull a bottle of red from the room temp cabinet where I keep them and place it in the fridge to chill it before I drink, then no. I want this fridge for long term storage. When pulling from the wine fridge they will be in the high 50s, which will honestly be lower than I will like them to be. I drink them closer to 70* just because that is where I keep my house. I hope that answers what your question.

Whites, on the other hand hit the fridge for about 2-2.5hrs before I am going to open them. That gets them about where they are supposed to be served. Longer than that and they will be too cold to enjoy properly.

If anyone has another take on any of this please share. I am still some what new to wine, just a few years, and am always looking for other opinions, ideas or info.

I was curious because from what I have read on red varietals is that keeping them cooler actually releases more of the sugars then keeping them warm, therefore altering the taste slightly. I have tried several Cab's at room temp and the same chilled, and I found I prefer them slightly chilled. But, it is all of matter of personal opinion :thumbs:.

I was curious because from what I have read on red varietals is that keeping them cooler actually releases more of the sugars then keeping them warm, therefore altering the taste slightly. I have tried several Cab's at room temp and the same chilled, and I found I prefer them slightly chilled. But, it is all of matter of personal opinion :thumbs: .

Have never heard of such a thing and have never experienced that either. Usually a colder wine will be somewhat shut down, I drink my red wines at room temperature, never chilled. If I pull a wine from the cellar, 58 -60 DEG, I'll let it warm to room temperature in the glass before drinking.

:cool:

I was curious because from what I have read on red varietals is that keeping them cooler actually releases more of the sugars then keeping them warm, therefore altering the taste slightly. I have tried several Cab's at room temp and the same chilled, and I found I prefer them slightly chilled. But, it is all of matter of personal opinion :thumbs: .

Have never heard of such a thing and have never experienced that either. Usually a colder wine will be somewhat shut down, I drink my red wines at room temperature, never chilled. If I pull a wine from the cellar, 58 -60 DEG, I'll let it warm to room temperature in the glass before drinking.

I have read it in a few books, one of them was called "The Sommelliers Guide to Wine". I don't recall off the top of my head who the author was. I guess I just prefer mine slightly chilled. My fridge is about 58*, and I usually let mine sit for about 15 minutes or so to breath a bit, but I drink them right after. I guess it is all a matter of personal taste :cool:.

Things are not looking good on this Ebay purchase. It has been 2 weeks and I have yet to get any info on shipping. I have sent the seller an email daily for the last 5 days, and have yet to receive a response to any of them. In a few more days I will befiling a claim with PP, which really sucks due to the deal I was tp be getting. I guess the shopping process will be starting all over agin trying to find a good price on a fridge that will allow my collection to grow. So I will still be accepting any and all info on good deals on fridges.

Consumer Reports rates Haier at the top if it matters and that sucks on your purchase. I can't remeber how long the dead line is with paypay, if that is who you used. Act quickly and get some of your money back.

I have a 32 bottle Haier and love it.

Yikes...... I thought I was a bigshot the other day when I bought 6 bottles..... haaaa

Dang NorCal, how often do you drink, and when you do, how many bottles do you usually go through? Wait, am I thread jacking my own thread?
Also, I am taking PMs for my address if anyone wishes to contribute sympathy bottles to help me through this hard time. :D

Dang NorCal, how often do you drink, and when you do, how many bottles do you usually go through? Wait, am I thread jacking my own thread?
Also, I am taking PMs for my address if anyone wishes to contribute sympathy bottles to help me through this hard time. :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: not enough, that's why my cellar is busting at the seams. It's so dificult to pass up a good deal, or a great wine, and this past weekend we visited a winery that makes a Zin that I really like, then I discovered that they also make a very nice Port as well ...... how could I resist!.

Seriously, if you get into wines it's very easy to bust out of a smaller cellar, especially if you want to age some of your wine.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: not enough, that's why my cellar is busting at the seams. It's so dificult to pass up a good deal, or a great wine, and this past weekend we visited a winery that makes a Zin that I really like, then I discovered that they also make a very nice Port as well ...... how could I resist!.

Seriously, if you get into wines it's very easy to bust out of a smaller cellar, especially if you want to age some of your wine.

Can I plan a vacation to NorCal and stay in your cellar :D ?

"I feel bad about having the two nicer bottles in a cabinet in my kitchen as the house temp is obviously above ideal condition"

First, get your nice bottles out of your kitchen cabinets - possibly the worst place you can keep them.

Second, when you say "house temp" do you mean you have a house? Do you have a basement?

You needn't worry about humidity in a wine fridge - they are made to store wine properly.

I cannot recommend a fridge unit, I've always had passive storage, so I haven't paid attention to them.

"whites on the other hand hit the fridge for about 2-2.5hrs before I am going to open them. That gets them about where they are supposed to be served. Longer than that and they will be too cold to enjoy properly."

Longer than that they will be the same temperature. A bottle of wine will easily reach refrigerator temperature in 2-2.5 hours. Try them after 40 minutes. Or, leave it in for 2.5 hours then leave it sit out for 20 minutes.

This situation has been turned into a full force pay pal investigation. Sadly that doesn't mean too much. Of course for this service they will only charge me $25. Also, they are going to be nice enough to cover $200 of my $325 purchase. So, this lesson is going to cost me a scant $150. I don't undersand why a company that takes money from a client and gives it to another client, can't always reimburse the wronged party in full? Not to mention that I have to pay the fee as the party that has been screwed. What gives? If they want to stop this kind of fraud they should be returning my FULL purchase price no matter what, and then charging the seller the fee. Obviously they have no desire to do anything but screw over people and collect their fees. My seller has until Feb. 2 to respond or have the money debited from their account. The up side of this is the seller could have a last minute change of heart and send back all my money.