• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wisdom Teeth are getting pulled in the morning.

beaucredo

hard work and self sacrifice
Hey guys.

I am having all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted in the morning, and was wondering if any of you have any tips on how to make the situation a little more bearable. I have already come to terms with the fact that I cant have any cigars for a little while (but am still not sure how long) and that my jaw is going to hurt like hell. So I guess I am asking for any advise on dealing with this nuisance. Thanks in advance guys

Leo

Ask for a lot of refills on the pain meds. Start high...like 20, and negotiate down.

When you reach an agreed upon number for the refills, then bargain for the strength.

It can go either way. Some say it's not so bad. For me it was the worst thing I think I ever went through pain wise. Flat out sucked. I also got on a plane the next day from Atlanta to Jersey to come back home for the holidays which was the stupidest thing I could have done. Save some of the pain meds for a rainy day :D

Ask for a lot of refills on the pain meds. Start high...like 20, and negotiate down.

When you reach an agreed upon number for the refills, then bargain for the strength.

I wish it worked that way. At my consultation today he handed me 2 Prescriptions (one for generic vicadin) that were pre-printed. I asked if i could get a higher dose or an extra refil and he said no :(

I had all four of mine removed when I was 21. I couldn't afford to be knocked out so all I got was local anistesia (sp). Frankly, it wasn't bad at all. I was a little sore for a few days, but it was better than the absess that caused all the pain for two weeks. I learned the hard way to stay away from whiskey even though it sounds like a great idea under the influence of pain medication. Even the blood thinning affects of beer will make you bleed like a stuck pig. Be sparing with the meds because eventually they won't work. And keep your mouth as clean as you can. A secondary infection will be worse than the initial hassle. But the best advice I can give you is ride the I'm in pain take care of me bandwagon for as long as you can. It never hurts to get a foot massage to take your mind off of your mouth :whistling: :D

I wish it worked that way. At my consultation today he handed me 2 Prescriptions (one for generic vicadin) that were pre-printed. I asked if i could get a higher dose or an extra refil and he said no :(

Go, put the scripts in, then go to another doctor to get the teeth pulled. :laugh:

Had all 4 out when i was 17...2 pulled, 2 cut...had pain pills prescribed and i took them ALL :) Just dont suck anything...meaning cigars and straws...and adhere to his regime as far as what you eat...and you will be fine..it's very common and you will be a ok in a few days...Have fun on the pain meds!!

Melly

I had all four of mine removed when I was 21. I couldn't afford to be knocked out so all I got was local anistesia (sp). Frankly, it wasn't bad at all. I was a little sore for a few days, but it was better than the absess that caused all the pain for two weeks. I learned the hard way to stay away from whiskey even though it sounds like a great idea under the influence of pain medication. Even the blood thinning affects of beer will make you bleed like a stuck pig. Be sparing with the meds because eventually they won't work. And keep your mouth as clean as you can. A secondary infection will be worse than the initial hassle. But the best advice I can give you is ride the I'm in pain take care of me bandwagon for as long as you can. It never hurts to get a foot massage to take your mind off of your mouth :whistling: :D

They are doing the conscious sedation thing to me however that works. I am getting the operation by my parents house, and will recuperate there which will be nice. The surgeon gave mea a mouth rinse prescriotion, so I hope that will help me avoid infections. Thanks for the tips :thumbs:

I had mine done 4 years ago. At the consultation he gave me a Valium to take 1 hour before I came in for the surgery :thumbs: (definitely helped with the nerves, by the time I got there I didn't give a damn about anything) Then they knocked me out.

The healing wasn't too bad, unfortunately he gave me the scripts the day of and I by the time I had them filled and in hand the anesthetic had started to wear off. He didn't give me any refills on the pain killers and it was probably a good thing, they were plenty strong and if I had much more than the 1 script I may of had a problem when I had to stop using them.

Also, if you make any decisions that may affect you in the long run during the healing rethink them once you come off the pain meds. When I had mine pulled I had a lot of time to think and made a couple decisions I probably wouldn't of made if I wasn't on painkillers/high. Fortunately everything worked out for me and the decisions I made were good ones for me, I just wouldn't of had the balls to make them in a normal state of mind. (It involved quiting high school wrestling to focus on high school weightlifting and pissing off my football coach in the process)

I don't know what they gave me when I had mine done. I walked back to the barracks, went to sleep for 18 hours and woke up with my face stuck to the pillow :0 Once I got that off I didn't take any drugs that I remember. Maybe the key part is the not remembering ???

I got all 4 of mine surgically extracted (from below the gums) about 10 years ago. I was awake, on laughing gas and novacain. It was not horrible, but definately not forgetable. I had Percocet and I slept for 2 days straight before coming to and I think I was back to normal in 5 days or so. It did suck, I won't lie. DEFINATELY NO CIGARS AND NO STRAWS until your gums are 100% back to normal with no holes. The best thing I can tell you is to not panic. Stay as calm as you can and focus on something.

I'm a veteran of dental surgery...My genetics as far as teeth go suck. Do absloutely nothing for a few days. Rise your mouth with a salt water solution every couple of hours and take your pain meds BEFORE you start to hurt. Use ice packs to keep the swelling to a minimum.

I would not smoke until I was completely healed. Smoking can cause a "dry socket" that makes the pain from your surgery pale in comparision. I had one and it absloutely made me weak in the knees.

Just make sure you follow that strict guidance to not drink from a straw or smoke. It may be tough, but it's not worth the consequences.

I'm a veteran of dental surgery...My genetics as far as teeth go suck. Do absloutely nothing for a few days. Rise your mouth with a salt water solution every couple of hours and take your pain meds BEFORE you start to hurt. Use ice packs to keep the swelling to a minimum.

I would not smoke until I was completely healed. Smoking can cause a "dry socket" that makes the pain from your surgery pale in comparision. I had one and it absloutely made me weak in the knees.

Yeah, smoking is the least of my worries, thanks man!

Had mine pulled two years ago: http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...hl=wisdom+teeth

Couldn't eat anything for a week. My face swelled way up, then I got a big infection in my cheek. Thank God for the Vicodine! :D

Good luck, it's not too bad, you'll heal in no time at all.

Thanks Rod :) I am looking forward to the vicodin

Had mine pulled in Navy boot camp. You'll be fine.

Damn Bruce, Mine should be like a walk in the park compared to that.

Thanks to everyone who has posted, I really appreciate it :thumbs:

Absolutely the best advise on this thread accept for the no smoking/sucking thing. And don't spit out the salt water, just kinda hang your head over the sink and open your mouth to let in out. Spitting like sucking causes the wounds to bleed.

As for the rest of you lightweights :laugh: ...I've had 7 surgeries in 3 1/2 years and been on pain meds: Norco, Vicadin, Percocet, or Darvocet with at least 2 refills everytime and never had an addiction problem at all. Unless you have an addictive personality or a history of abuse (drug, alcohol, gambling), I don't think 2 refills is too much to ask for.
Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

Thanks so much to everyone for the tips and advise! I am going to bed now as the procedure is at 9 in the morning tomorrow. Thanks again.

Thanks so much to everyone for the tips and advise! I am going to bed now as the procedure is at 9 in the morning tomorrow. Thanks again.
[/quote

Uh oh, I might be too late to offer my sage advice. I would say the best thing to do is to take a few pain pills and watch Gladiator a few times. This suggestion might seem silly but it made me feel a lot better and a little emotional the third time through.

-Mark

Good luck. Great advice in this thread. Keep it clean, don't suck, and take the drugs.

Wilkey