• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dye Jobs

bilder

I have been reading about this for the last 10 days or so, but have not been able to locate a list of cigars that are dye jobs.
I like maduro cigars. They taste good and hold up to the cold better than natural wrappers. But what I do not want is to have my lips turning brown or black while I smoke.
Tried a google search, but I am not having much luck in finding a listing of known dye jobs in the world of maduros.
Anyone have a list of these fakers? Or shall we make one here on this thread for future newbies?

Fortunately, this hasn't happened to me yet (lips turning brown/black after smoking).

I can only assume that means I have yet to run across a dye job.

I'm looking forward to seeing this list....

Only one cigar has made my fingers turn brownish, the Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve. I hope its not a dye job, and if it is, it's a rather tasty dye.

I did some research on this a while back. If I remember correctly this was done durin the boom years by some of the botique cigar companies. I think that it is no longer being done. Certainly not by any of the major makers today.

I've had the El Mejor Espresso do that to me, but also a few LGC's, and RP OWR.

Time was that Nick Perdomo was known (in a nasty, joking sort of way) as "El Pintor" (the painter) in some circles. My hazy recollection is that Tabacalera Perdomo claimed that the black crap that was staining people's lips and fingers (including my own. once. never touched one of his maduros again.) wasn't dye, but that there was some special tobacco-based treatment that their maduro leaf underwent. Never seemed like that wrapper was thick enough to be real maduro anyway. I don't think he does it anymore, but I don't know for sure.

Got some black residue on me from a Santa Rosa once, when I bought one in a fit of desperation because it was hard to find anything decent to smoke.

The Bohemian line from Victor Sinclair is for sure dyed. I smoked one and not only got dark brown stuff all over my lips but all over my fingers also. I'm never going to spend another penny on those cigars.

I had a Carlos Torano 1959 that burnt my lips black(didn't want to put it out).
I suppose that doesn't count though.

Rocky Patel Edge maduros are dyed...they take maduro tobacco, wet it and squeeze the juice all over the other tobacco to make it uniform in color (notice the "perfection"?). Can you imagine the color of the rollers hands at the end of the day!!??

-Fetter

I haven't had any color come off in 10 years and don't remember what it was at the time anyway. I bet it still occurs on some of the lower end but nothing that I smoke now.

The Padilla made maduro Obsidian that they make for CI stained my fingers, lips, and even the ashtray. It was a really good smoke, but that turned me off. The thought that they could be dyed crossed my mind, but I'm not sure that such a fine manufacturer would stoop to that level.

Rocky Patel Edge maduros are dyed...they take maduro tobacco, wet it and squeeze the juice all over the other tobacco to make it uniform in color (notice the "perfection"?). Can you imagine the color of the rollers hands at the end of the day!!??

-Fetter

There is a picture of this in a thread I think when someone went on a Rocky tour of his factory.

My wife dyes her hair, but I'm not supposed to tell anyone.

At least you'll go out with a bang, now, the entire intarwebs knows!

As for dye jobs, I've always suspected Onyx maduros and Nancy Grace.

I've smoked a boat load of the Onyx Reserves and I've never had any staining or anything like that. That doesn't mean they aren't dyed, just that I've never seen any evidence of it. I don't know about any of the other in the Onyx line.

The only cigar I've had that's left "skid marks" was a La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduro. I've had several and only had the one leave anything behind, so I'm not sure what that says.

I wonder if it has any effect on the flavor? Obviously it could be construed (quite accurately in my mind) as a misrepresentation of what the cigar is, but does it have any effect on the taste? I don't know...

I've had the Nestor maddie turn my lip and fingers before.

My wife dyes her hair, but I'm not supposed to tell anyone.

At least you'll go out with a bang, now, the entire intarwebs knows!

As for dye jobs, I've always suspected Onyx maduros and Nancy Grace.

I've smoked a boat load of the Onyx Reserves and I've never had any staining or anything like that. That doesn't mean they aren't dyed, just that I've never seen any evidence of it. I don't know about any of the other in the Onyx line.

The only cigar I've had that's left "skid marks" was a La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduro. I've had several and only had the one leave anything behind, so I'm not sure what that says.

I wonder if it has any effect on the flavor? Obviously it could be construed (quite accurately in my mind) as a misrepresentation of what the cigar is, but does it have any effect on the taste? I don't know...

What? No experience with Nancy Grace?

:p

The Perdomo La Tradicion rosados were even worse, they turned your hands iron oxide red.....

The Perdomo La Tradicion rosados were even worse, they turned your hands iron oxide red.....

How about Perdomo's "Dos Rios" cigar. It was an unnatural shade of red. Nick Perdomo dyes cigars....no way ;)