• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you look for in a humidor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humidor Minister

In a desk top or a cabinet. What do you look for? Features, construction, doors, drawers, trays, sliders, glass, finish, wood used, what ever you can think of that makes a humidor "The one for you" :thumbs:

Desktop:
It has to have a great woosh. I like a box with very thick mahogany or spanish cedar walls. A top deep enough to accomodate any top quality humidifier on the market. The top must stay open on it's own. It must to have handles, preferably recessed. Joinery is important.
I like the rack on the bottom for humidity. I prefer a very deep finish. Key is nice, but not a deal breaker. Has to hold at least one hundred
50 ring ga cigars. Simple, but beautiful exterior with a nice grain pattern, 2 woods max.

Cabinet:
Like it to hold 40-60 boxes. All pull out shelves, slatted. Thick floating cedar or mahogany innards. Darker finish.
Insulated and cooled. Solid locking doors. Nice moldings, etc. using only one type of wood. More traditional styling.

Come on every one. Stop lurking and start answering. I have a 50 cf humi to build and I want your ideas. Everywhere else I've asked I've got great responses. I thought for sure you guys would have the best ideas of all. Don't let me down. You guys are supposed to be the top of the best of the best. :D

I tend to avoid people who are regular, contributing members of a$$hat sites like puff.com so I guess I've got nothing to tell ya.

I tend to avoid people who are regular, contributing members of a$$hat sites like puff.com so I guess I've got nothing to tell ya.

Sorry to thread jack.
Does it really matter what other site someone is a member of? Does it cause you or you family harm? If you dislike that site so much how would someone know that someone is a contributing member there? I figure if I have nothing nice to say it would be easier to just not say anything at all. Maybe your just the type that likes to cause a fuss.
Thread jack off.

God's honest truth...what I look for in a humidor is usually cigars. :laugh:

Other than the things previously mentioned about quality of construction. to me, layout is very important. Depending on the size of the humidor, having a good balance of shelves that come with it for singles is nice to have. I am also a big fan of having glass for display. I love the wood boxes you have made, they look amazing, but if I have some cigars I like to be able to see them to enjoy myself or if I am going to share with someone I like to be able to have them visible with at least one row for viewing, makes it easy to pick and shows off the sticks that you want to show off.

Having a little slot made specifically for a cutter and lighter would be handy to have as well. I always end up tossing mine onto a shelf, but would be nice to have a custom grooved slot for them to go.

Other than the things previously mentioned about quality of construction. to me, layout is very important. Depending on the size of the humidor, having a good balance of shelves that come with it for singles is nice to have. I am also a big fan of having glass for display. I love the wood boxes you have made, they look amazing, but if I have some cigars I like to be able to see them to enjoy myself or if I am going to share with someone I like to be able to have them visible with at least one row for viewing, makes it easy to pick and shows off the sticks that you want to show off.

Having a little slot made specifically for a cutter and lighter would be handy to have as well. I always end up tossing mine onto a shelf, but would be nice to have a custom grooved slot for them to go.

That gives me an idea. I'm going to start working on a design that has a sort of double door. It'll have a wood pannel door that is essentially a double door. The center pannel will open to a glass window then the whole door will open for access. Best of both worlds. Thanks. :thumbs: And thank you contributors that put forth your valuable opinions.

BTW I'm a member and contributor of cigar society (not a website, the world of cigar smoking) I smoke for the pleasure of it, not to impress anyone. I smoke alone or with friends. I have friends on many sites. Every one of them are good people no matter where they hang their hat.

Most of the humidor's I see, want you to put the humidification device on top of your cigars
pointed down. I, for one, don't like the idea of putting moister over my cigars. I like to put
the cigars over the moister with a slotted rack between them.

We all know heat rises. So, humidity/moister rises also. (rises meaning going from bottom to top)

How about a drawer/slide out at the bottom of the humidor to put the humidification device in.
This way you can always get to it no matter how full the humi is. You could put a divider in the
drawer for a lighter and cutter it so desired.

Just some thoughts...

- KiltLad

Most of the humidor's I see, want you to put the humidification device on top of your cigars
pointed down. I, for one, don't like the idea of putting moister over my cigars. I like to put

We all know heat rises. So, humidity/moister rises also. (rises meaning going from bottom to top)

How about a drawer/slide out at the bottom of the humidor to put the humidification device in.
This way you can always get to it no matter how full the humi is. You could put a divider in the

Just some thoughts...

- KiltLad

Very good idea. For a 50ct humidor, I would just put a drawer in the bottom that can hold beads or something like that, since active humidification would be overkill for something this size IMO

Looking at making a profit off of any of these ideas?

Just some thoughts...

- KiltLad

That's a great idea. That could be used on large or small humidors too.

Looking at making a profit off of any of these ideas?

I'm a LOOOOONNNG way from making a profit on my work. I'm trying to get ideas to build a better humidor for my fellow BOTL. There are a few out there that would like something better than a Chinese humidor.

That's pathtic. Build a bridge. How old are you, 12?

Yep - you're right. Puff is pathetic.

...and mostly occupied by 12 year olds. So by that you can tell CC wouldn't have anything to do with the place - he's a tad bit older than 12.

I know you've got a thriving business going and all - and maybe you don't have the time - but you should know that building a bridge between that place and here will be a Herculean task. If you want to give it a shot - let us know. I'd prefer not to be around while you're laying the foundation - it will get rather noisy... :whistling:

...and mostly occupied by 12 year olds. So by that you can tell CC wouldn't have anything to do with the place - he's a tad bit older than 12.

I know you've got a thriving business going and all - and maybe you don't have the time - but you should know that building a bridge between that place and here will be a Herculean task. If you want to give it a shot - let us know. I'd prefer not to be around while you're laying the foundation - it will get rather noisy... :whistling:

No offense, but how is he "trying to build a bridge"?... He just contributes to both forums under the same name. He said "build a bridge" as in "cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it."

The only reason it is a topic of discussion is because CoventryCat brought it up.

What could possibly be wrong with him posting on both sites?

What is your issue? I asked a simple question so I can gather information to build better humidors for my fellow BOTL and some %^%^%%*&%$ starts in on this Puff crap. The only person trying to bring puff into the picture is you. This is the first time I ever typed the word Puff on this site. This is the only site I frequent that I've had confrontation. This one was totally uncalled for. I used to post often when it was CL but since the merger happened, I've probably posted less a dozen times. Have I ever attacked you as a person because of who you associate with? NO. I think you owe me an apology. This was very disrespectful and childish of you.

For the other fine members, thanks for the thoughtful and creative input. This has just been a crappy day. I'm in no mood for BS so I appologize to the rest of you for my rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.