• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pappy Van Winkle 20yo Bourbon

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 year old Bourbon, Standard Bottle, no packaging, 90.4 proof, about $70.

PVWFR%2020%20covered.JPG
PVWFR%2020%20uncovered.JPG

Prior to settling into the Lazy-Boy for the final debate I poured a glass of this outstanding bourbon into my glass figuring that I should enjoy something over the next 90 minutes.

This is a drink that can distract you from just about anything, it's that good. Straight up, no water or ice is the best way to enjoy it, this is a sipping whiskey. The nose is immense with apple, orange, oak and leather grabbing your senses. Tasting confirms the complexity of this bourbon. Flavors mix with the charred oak sweetness that swirls around your tongue in a melody of bourbon perfection. The finish, as you would expect, lasts a very long time as a slight dryness accents the charcoal hidden in the depths.

IMO, this is most likely the best bourbon that is fairly easily found but you do pay the price. As small batch bourbons keep rising in cost the $70 or so for 20 yo Pappy doesn't seem that bad especially if you are looking for the best.

A must try if you are a bourbon drinker and a must buy if you are a real fan of American Whiskey. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Great review. I'll check the state liquor store tonight. I'm crossing my fingers :D

I don't know that I could walk up to some old guy in a store (or even worse, in a bar) and ask for "Pappy Van Winkle." :D :sign: Truth be told, sounds like a great review. Not a big bourbon drinker myself, which is strange given my love of scotch. But, I don't dwell on it. Anyways, sounds good nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing! ;)

One of my favorite burbons. The sweet, rich flavor is reminiscent of pancakes and real maple syrup. Very full mouth feel. Usually burbons dont benefit from long age like scotches, but this one is almost perfect.

:)

I picked up a bottle when I was in PA in late June. Have yet to crack it open. Glad this thread got topped. Gives me more reason to open it up and give it a try.

PA has most likely the best price in th country on the PVWFR 20, plus it's in stock!

cigardawg said:
I picked up a bottle when I was in PA in late June. Have yet to crack it open. Glad this thread got topped. Gives me more reason to open it up and give it a try.
[snapback]213719[/snapback]​

AVB said:
PA has most likely the best price in th country on the PVWFR 20, plus it's in stock!

cigardawg said:
[snapback]213719[/snapback]​
[snapback]213930[/snapback]​

No kidding. The store in York was also had the HA Hircsh in stock for around $50 to $60 a bottle. I need to make another trip up to PA some. :p

Let me know when, maybe this time I'll be around and we can get together for a herf or tasting or both!

I finally opened this bottle of bourbon last Saturday evening. Had a test shot neat and then a single glass over a couple of rocks. Fabulous bourbon. Huge bouquet of caramel and apple. The taste was not as big as the nose, but very refined (as one would expect from a bourbon this old). Flavors of molassas, caramel, oak, and apple all mingled into an incredibly balanced bourbon.

I did not reread AVB's review before typing my comments...be interesting to see if our palates are even close. :p

Regardless, an outstanding bourbon worthy of gracing any liquor cabinet. I'll certainly be seeking out some more.

Similar but not exact. My leather is your caramel it seems. Still damn good stuff no matter who tips the bottle :thumbs:

Amen AVB, It is funny this thread got topped, a week ago I stopped in at a local shop not too far from my house. I walk there and the owner often lets me taste (if I drink a little too much I don't have to drive.) This particular evening he had a new guest who introduced himself as Julian. We happened to sample the Pappy 20 yr that evening and it is as wonderful as you described. As the evening went on I found out Julian's last name, it is Van Winkle. Yes I unknowingly shared a dram of Pappy 20 yr with Julian Van Winkle III the grandson of the original Julian Van Winkle. It was a truly an enjoyable evening. Apparently he regularly stops in at this shop as it is not too far from his home.

-D

I ran into Julian once at the Philly Whiskey Fest about 3 years ago. Didn't really get to sit and chat although I would have liked too. I'm a little jealous.

He was really down to earth. It is funny because he no longer has a lot to do with the daily operations of production. He claimed that if he wants some of his bourbon he has to go to the store and buy it. Needless to say that Dan (the owner of the spirit shop) gives him a good deal. :D He regularly signs bottles although I didn't have the cash flow at the time to purchase one (20 Year is going for around $85 here, so if you can get it for $70 I'd jump on it).

BTW with a collection like you have I am the Jealous one!!!!!

-D

Pappy has become my favorite drink. I even like the 15 yr old family reserve on the rocks. I have 2 bottles of the 23 yr old waiting to be opened; one is signed by Julian that I drastically overpaid for on ebay when NO store in Chicago had a bottle. The next weekend, the local Binny's guy called saying they got their shipment, so I took another bottle at the retail price of $200.

I finally added a bottle of this to my collection. I told you that I was going to start my research on Whiskeys didn't I AVB. So the Staggs was first, which I loved by the way, now this one ... let's see what else I need to add to my "research" list ;)

:cool:

Four Roses Single Barrel is a good one to search out. You'll have to find a Kentucky BOTL to trade for it though :)

I couldn't take it anymore, the suspense was killing me. I ordered a bottle of the 20 year a couple days ago.
Also got the 15 yr, and another bottle of 12 yr "lot b" and eagle rare 17 yr.
Gonna be some fun "camping " this year ;)

The eagle rare 17 yr made some sweet mint julips last year! Looking forward to tasting the 20 year,(not mixed though)... on the nights we don't pull out the scotch of course!
Thanks for the review, I think.