• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Dalmore Cigar Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Dalmore Cigar Malt, short oval bottle, may or may not be boxed, 750ml, 86 proof, about $30-35.

Dalmore%20Cigar%20Malt.JPG

Finally, The Dalmore Cigar Malt gets it's turn for review. I don't know how it is where you are at today but I've already cleared 6" of snow off the driveways and will soon go out again to get the next 4". However, in between the plowing I turned on the heat in the garage poured a few fingers of Cigar Malt in my glass and took K. Hansotia Gold to smoke.

With no age statement on the bottle I'd have to guess that this is fairly young vatted malt. A vatted malt is a mixture of many single malts but no grain whiskey, if it had grain whiskey it would be a blend. I would have to say 6-8 years old for most if not all the malts in this.

This is a big nosed whisky, full of raisins, chocolate and orange and can use an ice cube or two just to thin it out a bit. Tasting is very sweet with raisins being the first thing that comes to mind and then sherry, orange, malt and vanilla. A very busy whisky! The finish is short with chocolate flavors holding on the longest.

So how does it go with a cigar? Pretty good in my opinion. The Gold I had is a medium body smoke and it fit right in with this dram. It also has complimented an Oliva Bold Maduro equally as well in previous get togethers. Whyte & Mackay have scored a cigar winner with this but it isn't something to just sit and sip by itself, go for the Dalmore 21 for that.

Overall a rather enjoyable dram with a cigar and something I have no problem recommending to any of the scotch drinkers out there in CP land.

Back to the snow!

You're damn good AVB. :thumbs:

I couldn't agree more. This has a lot going on with it and is great with a mild / medium smoke. On it's own, it takes on a stronger, almost harsher character.

I really am impressed. I can't pick out all of the flavors, just know there's a lot going on as compared to a big smoky or peaty, smooth, well aged drink.

Thanks for the review. We've got freezing drizzle here, one of the few days I wish I was back home in the snow........

Had to put shorts on, it's so nice here. Great review AVB, bought a bottle a couple of years ago for my boss. Wondered how it was.

Gregor

Since you still have a job I'd guess it wasn't that bad. :rolleyes:

gregor22 said:
Had to put shorts on, it's so nice here. Great review AVB, bought a bottle a couple of years ago for my boss. Wondered how it was.

Gregor
[snapback]160128[/snapback]​

I ran into this when I was smoking in the bar this past week. The bartender just recommended Scotch as a cheap alternative. I'm sill on the fence about this one, the guy thinks I'm nuts if I want to buy it, but from your thorough review, I can taste it already. :) I'll have to pick this one up sometime. :thumbs:

Cheap alternative to what?

SFG75 said:
I ran into this when I was smoking in the bar this past week. The bartender just recommended Scotch as a cheap alternative.
[snapback]162620[/snapback]​

He said that Scotch would be cheaper than a bottle of Dalmore. I'm not certain why he told me that, I would think that as a bar tender, you would want the expensive stuff to move. Then again, I don't think $35.00 is outrageous for a Dalmore bottle. Perhaps I'm wrong? ??? ???

AVB said:
Cheap alternative to what?

SFG75 said:
I ran into this when I was smoking in the bar this past week.  The bartender just recommended Scotch as a cheap alternative. 
[snapback]162620[/snapback]​
[snapback]162632[/snapback]​

The Dalmore Cigar Malt is what is called a "vatted" malt. A number of single malts joined together. A "blended" whiskey has to have grain alcohol in it. Cigar Malt is fairly inexpensive so I don't know why "Scotch" (I assume he meant Single Malt) would be cheaper.

AVB said:
The Dalmore Cigar Malt is what is called a "vatted" malt. A number of single malts joined together. A "blended" whiskey has to have grain alcohol in it. Cigar Malt is fairly inexpensive so I don't know why "Scotch" (I assume he meant Single Malt) would be cheaper.
[snapback]162672[/snapback]​

Hmmmmm, thanks for the input about the difference between the two. I'm no expert on had liquor or anything like that. The most I drink is stuff is microbrews and some dark beers. I'll have to sample and then promise to buy if I do end up liking it. You really have me curious about the price thing. Will have to do some more homework on that.

Well AVB, I took the plunge and plunked down $35.00 for the Dalmore cigar malt.

:love: :love:
cigar_taste.jpg

:love: :love: :love:

Not certain when I will open this baby, I'm waiting for a warming trend which according to weather forecasters, will come on thursday for me. I plan on breaking out the chair on my mini-front porch and checking this thing out. They also have a heck of a good website. This is just great AVB. First I get into cigars, now you guys are helping to increase my habit spending ways to good liquor. :D :p

I have 3 of The Dalmore's myself and am looking at The Dalmore 1973 Vintage Gonzalez Byass Sherry Cask Finish for one of my UK orders in the future. If you want one just let me know sometime and I'll fit you in the schedule.

Old topic, but I just bought a bottle of this based on the recommendation of a friend. Seems a very good scotch for a guy just getting started. I've been a bourbon drinker most all my life; thought I should broden my horizons a bit and this seems to be a wonderful way to go... :thumbs:

Still have much to learn about scotch, however.....

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Maybe you can add some tating comments a little later.
You can join me on the scotch learning journey, I still have a good ways to go.

BlindedByScience said:
Old topic, but I just bought a bottle of this based on the recommendation of a friend. Seems a very good scotch for a guy just getting started.

Still have much to learn about scotch, however.....

Best Regards - B.B.S.
[snapback]288107[/snapback]​

AVB said:
Maybe you can add some tating comments a little later.
You can join me on the scotch learning journey, I still have a good ways to go.
I'd be glad to, AVB. Tried some last night (neat, room temp), and thought it was wonderful. I'll pay closer attention and fill out some more detailed observations, but I can say one thing that struck me was the complexity of the flavors. Be it cigars, borubon, wine, etc. for me it's the subtle complexities that make something special. This was pretty cool.... :cool:

I've got to learn more about the different varieties and types. For example, they refer to this as a "Highland" scotch. Versus a....flatland scotch...??... (kidding). Anyway, lots to read up on and learn about.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Been sipping this wonderful malt for a while now and I have some more comments.

It really is a very complex tasting beverage. Strong hints of raisins, cinnamon, vanilla, maybe some almonds, or even walnuts? Not a meek or pale beverage, to be sure; it really does go well with a maduro or an Anejo. This Dalmore has the “legs” to complement and stand tall with even a very powerful smoke. The beverage does indeed complement the smoke, and vice versa.

I’m finding it more detailed and complex than the good bourbons I normally drink. Bulleit or Wild Turkey 101 being two of my “go to” sipping whiskeys. The Dalmore has perhaps less “alcohol” taste and lots more of the sweeter, complex flavors that sure go well with an equally “big” cigar. I like this Dalmore best when matched with an equally complex, full bodied smoke. The two in combination are really something special. Easy to recommend to someone who’d like to try a very full bodied scotch. A generous splash, neat, is how I've been enjoying this one. Paired it up tonight with a RASS and it was...fantastic.

...my research is, however, an ongoing process….. :thumbs:

Cheers, gentlemen - B.B.S.

I think that the greatest thing about comiong into this forum today is that I was going to do a search about "CIgar Malt", because I just bought it today. I grabbed it, while I was looking at The Glenlivet 16 year Frech Oak Aged sitting next to it...but Cigar <alt caught my eye. This is a great, smoky, peaty single malt with a lot of depth and flavors. I need to try it with a cigar though...to see if it lives up to its name. Glad to run into this thread...what a surprise.

I've had two glasses now (on my second) first one neat and number two with ice...better neat!

I was a bourbon guy for the most part until about 1 month ago, and now I spend more money trying new single malts than buying cigars (nice change). Now if anyone has tried Old Pulteney from Wick Scotland (actually from Scotland, not imported)...fantastic, one of the best!!!

-Fetter

PS - Bought mine for $28...not on sale. California does have its advantages!

If you are really interested keep an eye out for the newest version of this. They have sold out of the last few but there should be more sometime this year.

AVB - where might one find such a fabulous fluid...??

B.B.S.

Good question. I did a quick look at my normal places and it isn't available. I did find it in France but much too expensive. Cheiftain's Choice has been bottling a Cigar Malt once a year for the last 4 years so I am expecting another batch to show up sometime this year.

BlindedByScience said:
AVB - where might one find such a fabulous fluid...??

B.B.S.
[snapback]299225[/snapback]​