• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cragganmore 12 yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Cragganmore 12 yo Single Speyside Malt, Standard tall bottle, box packaging, 750ml, 80 proof, about $40.

Cragganmore%2012.JPG

Cragganmore, one of the Classic Malts of Scotland according to the advertising, was fairly unknown outside the scotch drinking public until fairly recently in it's 135 year history. Once the "Classic Malts" series was started by UDV in 1989 it has become more popular as single malt. That reason and the fact that Michael Jackson, the famed reviewer, has called it's nose "The most complex aroma of any malt." Classified A1 for blending most of the production is used in White Horse and McCallum's blends (not Macallan if you were thinking it :p ).

Another sticky day here in the northeast, temp is running about 94 and the humidity is about the same. I tried going out on the deck but with no breeze it got uncomfortable rather quickly. Since the deck wasn't going to work out I took my drink and headed downstairs to what the wife calls the Theatre Room. There in the nice 76 degree temp I pondered my dram.

Pouring a good sized dollop into the glass one is treated to a light honey oak color that noses a complex mixture of honey, peat, smoke, flowers and spices all very cleanly mixing together. The taste is a perfect match to the nosing, starting off sweet and becoming fuller and darker as the liquid lingers on the tongue. The finish is slightly drying until the smokey bits and fruit take over and then it lasts a good long time. Who am I to go against the esteemed Mr. Jackson? He gets paid to drink and I don't so he has to be doing something right :) . Alas, I disagree that Cragganmore has the most complex aroma of any malt as he stated. Maybe he was being generous or maybe I'm not good enough to tell. Either way, it is a great nose just not the best so far for me.

A Whisky Mag Editor's choice, a 90 rating by Mr. Jackson and a regular pour in my glass. Buy it if you don't already have it. An Ace. :thumbs:

My local liquor store recommended this to me. It seems to have a citrusy taste to it (oranges???) I really like it!!!

Didn't you already review this one a ways back?

No, Lumberg did a review of it back in January 2004 but I haven't until today.

ggiese said:
Didn't you already review this one a ways back?
[snapback]212101[/snapback]​

Edit: Lumberg for Ludwig

Nice review!

I was reading about this one in Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch and was intrigued by his statement that it was the most complex aroma of any malt. I've been thinking about trying it for some time.

Great review, AVB

This is one of my favorites and one of my go-to single malts. It was also one of the first single malts I ever tried and from there on, it's been all downhill ever since :)

Feel free to post your own review, including ones I've already done. The more the better! :thumbs:

Another great review AVB.

I tried this one over the weekend.
This is a pretty good scotch, while not the best but for the price it is definitely worth it. The taste to me was pretty darn smooth, a bit sweet and very light smoke. A bit more of a smokey taste may have brought this higher on my personal list.
But then again I am by no means a professional, what a job that would be!

When this bottle is empty, I would pick up another. ;)

Just tried this for the first time this Thursday....I will be buying a bottle for sure

Hmmmmm,have not seen this one in my local shops....I will have to ask around.I did finally see bowmore 12 islay though....grabbed a bottle tonight.

This is one of my favorite whiskies. I admittedly prefer the Islay profile, but when in the mood for a change of pace, this is a wonderfully smooth, complex (not sure if it's the "most" complex, but it's still nicely layered), richly flavored malt. I find it less sweet than many Speysides (e.g. Glenlivet - I can't drink much of this as it just gets too sickly sweet for me). In my opinion, this could be an ideal first sinlge malt for a new scotch drinker.

I had several glasses of this last month in Las Vegas. I enjoyed it so much I'm going to pick up a bottle today.
Thanks again for posting your review Ray.

AVB, while at Total Wine today, I picked up a bottle of this based on your review. Absolutely delicious. I'm finding myself leaning more towards the smokey peat bombs as try more and more malts, but this one is just superb. The sweet, honey like nose and taste is just full and mouth watering. I definitely find the touch of spice on the back end, and the flowers in the nose and taste is also apparent. I'm having trouble picking out tastes when tasting scotch, but this one really was easy to break down. The finish on it is a mile long, and almost seems oily to me. Wow.

This is definitely going on the "Favorites" list. :thumbs:

An oldie but a goodie. Glad you liked it.

Yes, I have become a Cragganmore fan myself thanks to my brother...especially the Distillers Editions. If ever you would describe a scotch as fresh, floral, and citrusy, with a slight touch of smoke & peat...this would be it. The Speyside scotches are suited to my taste for sure.

I wish I had the palate for scotch. I seem to be diving into the borbouns but maybe I just need to drink more scotch.

Yes, I have become a Cragganmore fan myself thanks to my brother...especially the Distillers Editions. If ever you would describe a scotch as fresh, floral, and citrusy, with a slight touch of smoke & peat...this would be it. The Speyside scotches are suited to my taste for sure.

Cragganmore finished in port barrels is a wonderful thing, ain't it?

Cragganmore finished in port barrels is a wonderful thing, ain't it?

:thumbs:

I was wrestling with this and Balvenie Doublewood. The Balvenie won. Unfortunately Spec's doesn't have a whole lot to offer other than the common scotches. What a shame.