• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aberlour a'bunadh

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Aberlour a'bunadh batch 9, short round big mouth bottle, box packaging, 120 proof, about $55-65.

Aberlour%20Abunadh.JPG

Aberlour a'bunadh is a huge sherried cask strength scotch. So flavorful that one could forget it is 120 proof provided you don't take big sips. :p

A'Bunadh means "original" in gaelic and Aberlour feels that this whisky is in the style of their original 19th century drams. Stored only in Spanish oak Oloroso sherry butts for 8 years (although no age statement is on the bottle) and bottled at full cask strength This scotch is a darkish mahogany in the bottle and it lightens up only a little in the glass.

The nose is one of the largest in the world of scotch. Spices, orange and sherry all mix in a "in your face" nosing. The taste is orange, cherries, sherry and oak with just a hint of peat. Finishing with a long spicy sherried chocolate tones before fading into a peppery ending.

This is a no-nonsense dram that fits in perfectly as an after dinner drink. A few ice cubes to tame it down allows even more flavors through. For those thirsty drinkers 3 shots of a'bunadh and one of water gives you a fine 90 proof drink in your glass. An ACE! :thumbs:

Some of the other versions may still be on the shelves so here is the a'bunadh batch listing.
Batch number Alcoholic strength Approximate year
1-5 59.6% 1997
6 59.9% 1999
Silver Label (12yo) 58.7% 1999
7 59.9% 2000
8 60.2% 2001
9 60% 2002
10 59.8% 2003
11 59.8% 2003
12 60% 2004
13 59.8% 2004
14 59.5% 2005
15 59.6% 2005
16 59.6% 2005
17 60.2% 2006
18 59.7% 2006
19 59.9% 2007
20 60.5% 2007
21 59.5% 2008
22 59.3% 2008
23 60.2% 2008
24 60.2% 2008
25 60.4% 2008
26 60.6% 2009
27 60.1% 2009

Sam's Wine is having a 15% off sale on this and all spirits tomorrow only.

Great review (as always.) It is one of my favorite low priced bottles. I got my best friend's dad and uncle (and myself) in a bit of trouble with a bottle at his (the friend's) wedding due, I am convinced, to the incredible drinkable ature of such a strong whisky.

Not sure which offering I had, but a friend dropped by one night with a bottle of this. It was a few months back, but I recall the experience.

My first sip was straight and the alcohol overpowered both my palate and my cigar. I watered it down a bit but still probably not enough and I ended up moving on to something else. I will give it another try at some point.

This is pretty much a sipping drink over ice for me as I don't even try a cigar with these high proof bottles. Try it again after dinner with some water and ice and see what you think.

I concur. With the high-proof, high-powered malts, a cigar is easily overpowered. Same reason you (or at elast I) don't spark an Opus with an aged Speyside. The cigar, in that case, would overpower the subtleties of the scotch.

I tried this At a tasting that I went to as a night cap, Quite a night cap it is. :D

the a'bunadh finished me off quickly. I didn't realize it was 60% alcohol and i put about 4 or 5 shots and half a cup of water into a cup, sat down poolside, and enjoyed a partagas lusitania. This a'bunadh is great but it can hit you fast and knock you on your rear.
Sip, don't drink. I found out the hard way.

I had a dram of this last night. Great stuff. You must drink it slowly. I enjoyed it enough to purchase a bottle this afternoon.

I love this Scotch. This happens to be the bottle I was bombed with. I havent had it since I was in Scotland back in 2003 and looking forward to sipping it like I do all fine Scotches. I couldnt smoke a cigar where I drank it at. The Scottish Whisky Heritage Museum in Edinburgh.

Excellent review of one of my favorites. Definately improves with a bit of water and ice.

If you like the A'bunadh, you'll almost certainly like the Macallan Cask Strength. It's not quite as oily, and stands even Tinier sips.. :) (for me)

It holds the record around here for lowest evaporation factor. That stuff Lasts a while.. and the price is similar too, so it's a reasonable comparison. I think the Mac is a touch more complex, and fiery, more taste but less smooth.

Feel free to check my math, jmho. :blush:

This bottle being gifted to me from Mitch, is Batch #16 and weighs in at 59.6%. I forgot how potent this bad boy was. It nearly took my breath away on the first sip. :0 But alas, its found a proper home. Its 5:10am and I'm about to poor me a glass while home brewing. Yes, you heard me right, 5am. There goes Scotch 30 out the window. :thumbs:

Jesus Loren, I thought I had been taking Scotch 30 a little early by having one before noon! :laugh:

We should bet on what time the next post from Loren will be. I'm betting after 16:00 EDT

I jsut read these last 2 posts. ROFLMAO!!! And yes, I did feel pretty good after that drink. I did pour another glass of Scotch but a different one I have at the apartment. Smoky got a healthy shot on Saturday. :D

Yeah, he poured me a glass that I could have given to three people and still had enough for myself! I worked on that SOB all day!

Aberlour was always a favorite back in my "whiskey days". I just have an occasional beer now, fearful that I'd like it as much now as I did then - which is WAY too much!

Oh, and thanks for the temptation! :D

Yeah, he poured me a glass that I could have given to three people and still had enough for myself! I worked on that SOB all day!

I bet he doesnt ask me to pour him a glass again. :whistling: But I have to share the :love: since he has given me a couple of nice surprises. :thumbs: